You Are Never (Ever) Alone!

There is one thing that is certain... there are no shortage of spiders here on the farm.  It's not that we see that many of them, but there is always evidence that they are here. 

 Yesterday, while walking the horses up to the pasture in the early morning light, I couldn't help but notice this spider suburb.  

There were hundreds of little sheet webs hanging from the skeletal remains of last summer's wildflowers.  traps set to catch unsuspecting insects passing through their neighborhood. 



Another curiosity that I have noticed is how, when we walk around the farm at nighttime with our headlamps pointed at the ground, we see lots of little sparkling eyes staring back at us (even from the trunks of the trees).  On closer inspection, we see that they are the sparkling eyes of spiders watching from a distance.

See?  No matter where we are... we are never alone!  There are actually, on average, 50,000 spiders per acre of green space.  Most spiders have eight eyes, but some have fewer - that's a whole lot of eyes watching your every move!  The good news is...spiders eat pesky insects like flies and cockroaches and in turn provide a rich food source for birds and reptiles.  Isn't this an amazing world?

Another observation we have made (with the aid of our headlamps) are the huge numbers of nightcrawlers that appear after dark.  As soon as we shine our headlamps on them, they zip right back into their tunnels.


Did you know that worms breathe through their skin? Amazing!

Yesterday was pick-up day for our first Azure Standard order.  I was directed to be at a local fairgrounds at 1:45 to help unload the truck.  There were about 40 people waiting in their cars when the truck pulled in at exactly 1:45.  Within 15 minutes all of the orders were unloaded and distributed.  I now have 25 pounds each of hard white wheat berries and hard red wheat berries.  I also ordered a small bag of un-ground rye.


I will be grinding my own wheat and baking bread with Friday.   I have read that using half and half hard red and white wheat produces the best loaf. 

(long-term storage solution)

I will let you know how it goes.

This week I made a batch of herbal mineral bath soak using the last of Summer's dried calendula petals, rosemary, and lavender buds.  It smells divine.  I can hardly wait to use it... a hot mineral soak at the end of a long day!

Comments

It is always very encouraging to read of someone who appreciates spiders. Thanks for this!
Rena said…
The webs are beautiful. I too like and appreciate spiders.
daisy g said…
Fascinating facts about spiders. I am the only person I know who appreciates their presence in our home. They are so beneficial. Their webs are works of art.

Aren't you blessed with enough wheat to last a while?! Glad the Azure delivery went well. Enjoy.
I don't mind having the webs around I just don't like walking into them!

You won't regret making bread from your own fresh ground flour. I have been doing it for close to 30 years. I get the hard red and soft white. The soft white I use for baking. I have never thought to get the hard white and mix them. I have always liked the nutty flavor of the red.
Have fun with it!
Anonymous said…
Please share your mineral bath salt recipe with all of us
Thank you
Karen said…
Thank you for the spider web bonanza! **I love spiders! I don't have the heart to get of the Daddy Long Legs I have in the house - so they just live with us. But I just love a good spider web:) I adore bats as well. A couple have made it into the house - so I just turn off all of the lights and open a few more windows - and they find their way out:)
This N That said…
Beautiful sky. Great pictures. I remember many years ago that I did a blog post on spiderwebs when they were all Dewy... Looking at them closely you can see all their intricacies. Love your little web village.
Nice to know that the spiders are keeping their eyes on you. L O L
Have fun grinding your own wheat. Hope it meets your expectations.
It looks like we are having a pretty wet week. Forrest must be in heaven! Hugs
THE BEARDED ONE said…
YOU ARE SUCH AN AMAZING LADY...YOUR KNOWLEDGE IS AWESOME...I SURE WOULD LIKE TO MEET YOU FOLKS AND HAVE YOU HELP MY WIFE LEARN TO DO SOME OF THE THINGS YOU DO SOOOOO VERY WELL...THANK YOU FOR YOUR GREAT KNOWLEDGE SHARED W/US.
I LOVE THESE POST AND PICS....AWESOME !!!!!
deodar said…
I have been know to tell the small visitors to my hobby farm that those aren't spider webs, those are the wings the fairies discarded when they got new ones.