The Collective

There have been geese flying over the farm these days.  Migrating, maybe, or maybe just shifting from pond to pond in search of breakfast.  Mornings are different now.  The sun rises brightly and heads higher in the sky.  

The birds sing.  Leaves emerge from buds.  Green replaces brown.  It's a feast and the table is set for everyone.  The guest list is inclusive - all are deserving.

This brings to mind.....

 WILD GEESE, by Mary Oliver

You do not have to be good.

You do not have to walk on your knees

for a hundred miles through the desert repenting.

You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

Tell me about your despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.

Meanwhile the world goes on.

Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain 

are moving across the landscapes,

over the prairies and the deep trees,

the mountains and the rivers.

Meanwhile, the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,

are heading home again.

Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,

the world offers itself to your imagination,

calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting -

over and over announcing your place

in the family of things.

Ah, to be able to express these things in a way that only Mary Oliver could.

There are times when we feel disconnected from the world, separate and alone.  Spring arrives as a poignant reminder that we are all interconnected, part of something greater than ourselves - a collective experience that transcends individual boundaries.  Spring teaches us to embrace our interconnectedness, to recognize that our actions ripple through the web of existence, shaping the world around us and contributing to the shared narrative of humanity and the natural world.

Though we are headed into a colder week ahead, there is no doubt that Spring has arrived here on the farm -  this year, almost a month ahead of schedule.  There are leaves on the willow trees - the earliest I have witnessed here.

 The daffodils in the front pasture are blooming - weeks ahead of their norm.  

Wildflowers are emerging in every crack and crevice.  There is an explosion of life happening - and I find it all so intoxicating!  I am so happy to be able to share it here with you.

We enjoyed a quiet weekend here on the farm.  Unbelievably, we had to mow the garden before it became a jungle!  I am so excited to have a long spring to enjoy this year.

A few weeks ago, while on a woods walk I found a stick, bleached by the sun that looked like it would make a beautiful walking stick.  Jack took it to his shop, trimmed it, filled in a couple of cracks, and sanded it beautifully.  I had an idea in mind to try to carve something into the top of the stick. 

And so, this weekend, I watched a few You Tube videos on the subject of wood carving and gave it a try.  Here is the personality that emerged from the wood.  What you don't see are the many spots of red further down the stick - blood from the several gouges on my non-dominate thumb and hand.  I am hoping to get better at this craft - if I don't bleed myself to death, first!

Great news!  We have seedlings emerging in the greenhouse!!

And... I have decided upon a color scheme for Maven Haven.  As soon as the weather is warm enough, I will begin to paint her in this color scheme...


(Truth be told... this little house would be my perfect house to live in!)

Comments

Karla said…
Bev, I love how you love to try new things! Honestly, curiosity is what keeps us young. I believe that with all my heart. When we stop being curious about our world, that's when the walls come up around us. You are an inspiration to me. Thank you for sharing your life with us, all these years!
Spring is definitely a time of emerging. I love that it brings people outside more!
Your art on the walking stick is fantastic. I remember taking carving in textiles class in high school. Never did much with it but it was enjoyable and relaxing to me.
It came out great and adds so much to your piece.
I love that little house. Great colors and I looked forward to seeing Maven Haven in those. Make it a great day today. Glad to hear you are healing up well!
Margy said…
Oh how I love the colors you chose! Can’t wait to see it. Glad you are healing quickly. Margy in KY
Judy G said…
I would advise buying a carving glove for your hand. It’s knife proof. The purple shed will be gorgeous. My favorite color.
Barbara Anne said…
What a perfect Mary Oliver poem and a good boost to my day! Thank you.

Have you ever seen the wonderful documentary titled "Migration"? It's available on DVD and we enjoy it so very much. You might, too.

I 2nd the carving glove. There are also marvelous heat resistant gloves for your kitchen that are far better and safer than towels or pot holders and some even are safe to 1500*F, not that you need those in the kitchen. DH uses his heat resistant gloves (safe to 800*F) when he bakes bread. They are available on Amazon, of course.

The purple house is just too cute!!

Please keep posting photos of Forrest and his fellows as they are a delight.

Wishing you well!
jaz@octoberfarm said…
i can't wait to see maven haven completed. i have plans for my potting shed which i hope to get to this summer.
Agent X, not said…
Love the walking stick. Good job. Perfect fit.
This N That said…
You are way of expressing things is every bit as eloquent as Mary Oliver's. It's a gift!
My cherry tree is blooming a month earlier as well.. Nature is confused.
Your garden looks lovely.
Love your walking sticks. I could probably use that sometimes! Sorry about the bleeding..
What a cute little house.... It would be fun to Live in..
Have a good week...That wind is cold today..xxoo

THE BEARDED ONE said…
GIRL...YOU ARE TRULY AMAZING...THE POEM WAS GREAT...AND THE CARVING YOU DID ON THE WALKING STICK IS AWSOME BEAUTIFUL...IT LOOKS LIKE A MASTER CARVER DID THAT...SUCH GREAT TALENT...OUR DAFFOLIDS HAVE BLOOMED AND THE BLOOMS ARE ALREADY GOND...THANK YOU SOOOOOO VERY MUCH FOR THE GREAT PICS AND POST...KEEP SMILNG AND HAVE A GREAT DAY AND KEEP RECOIVERING !!!!!!!
Wow...the carving on that walking stick is amazing. I love it. Hope you didn't lose too many fingers! Love all the flowers blooming at your place. Yes it seems that things are ahead of schedule this year. The ice went off our lake on Saturday and that's a month and a half earlier than usual! Hope everybody has a wonderful Spring!