Oops!

 It's rare that we have an unwelcome visitor on the farm.  However, this week, we have had one.  He goes by many names - but Mayhem is his most common.  Don't worry - it's neither of these two!


 Yes, it's only Wednesday and it's been a week!

Monday evening we found this...

In case you don't recognize it... it's our composting outhouse lying on its back!

Either we had a small earthquake on Monday evening (highly unlikely), or a very strong gust of wind sent our little porta-potty into a tail spin!  This still has me completely baffled... it is a very heavy little structure.  I still cannot imagine a wind strong enough to topple it.  But, apparently that is what happened.

Tuesday morning when the guys came back to finish the greenhouse, they helped Jack set the outhouse back on its base.  Amazingly, nothing from the compost bucket had spilled in the mishap.  Our sweet little outdoor bathroom is none the worse for wear.  I cannot say the same for the barn's gutter, however.  The end of that needed replacing (thankfully the guys took care of that for us!).

Also, Tuesday morning, as I was leaving the house for morning chores, I stepped out of the house onto the steps leading down into the garage.  I was in my stocking feet... ready to put on my muck shoes.  Upon hitting the step, my feet flew out from under me - I flew up in the air, and I landed with my left flank hitting the dog food bin.  I slowly stood up, dusted myself off and took stock of my appendages.  I had some back pain - but everything else worked just fine.  I should know by now that my body's response to trauma is never immediate.  In fact, I finished barn chores (however, unable to pick up any water buckets because of pain) and headed home.  My first indication that I might have a bigger injury was the pain and nausea I experienced upon arrival back home.  Here's where having a doctor in the house comes in handy... Hubbs checked me out and found that my pain was coming from the lowest rib.  Not a stranger to broken ribs, I knew this to be the case as well.

So, here I sit on the living room couch - with a beautiful sunny day outside and a greenhouse calling my name.  The lesson for today is... patience.  I just might need to slow down for a few days.  One of our kids reminded me of a comment on a recent blog asking if I ever slow down.  The answer to that is.... occasionally!

Oh well... I am finishing my current embroidery project, instead,  and reading a book (during daylight hours is something I rarely get a chance to do!)


Thanks to... Mayhem.

No worries, I'll be right as rain in a week or two.  Just don't make me laugh - or cough - or sneeze (and for the time being, I'd rather not move or breathe deeply - but this, too, shall pass.)

PS:  the runner ducks are now on lock-down, as Hubbs found them preying over the froggy nursery yesterday morning.  They will be on yard arrest until our little eggs hatch, and our tadpoles turn into polliwogs... then finally when, as froglets, they exit the vernal pond and head for the woods, the ducks will be allowed back out to roam at will.

Comments

Rena said…
Beverly, I'm so sorry for your mishap and injury. I hope you heal quickly and feel better soon.
daisy g said…
Oh no! When you first mentioned “mayhem”, I was thinking a bear, but it’s even worse than that! What a luxury to have time to read during daylight hours (though it probably doesn’t feel that way to you). Take the blessings where they come. Glad you’ve got a doc on staff who will take good care of you. Sending healing your way.
colleen said…
Oh no!!! Things went from bad to worse. Wouldn't it be great if you could be put back to normal as quickly as the outhouse was. I'm so sorry that you are in such pain. Thank goodness you can keep busy with your hands....you won't feel your days are a total loss. Praying you mend quickly. xoxoxo
Jeannie said…
I'm so sorry about your mishap and I wish you a speedy recovery. In the meantime, I know your busy brain will keep you occupied! I predict you will come up with even more enchanting projects for the farm.
jaz@octoberfarm said…
ouch! been there, done that! this would be a good time to watch that show i mentioned. i think you will find the frog part of it interesting. feel better soon bev!
Unknown said…
Praying for a speedy recovery and extra stamina for hubs as he tends to the farm! Indeed lucky that a rib was all it was. Blessings, Lisa G in TN.
Moggie said…
First thing I thought of was a bear, too. I can imagine it's hard for you to stay inside when the outdoors are calling (yelling?) to you. Glad it's no worse that it is.
Jody in GA said…
Ouch! that's the hard way to get dome down time! I am so sorry....hope you mend quickly and can get back outside! Your ebroidery is lovely.
Oh boy! No fun at all. As with all disturbances to our normal routines, when you are able to get back to being you, the appreciation of it all will be great. However, you seem to appreciate every moment anyway so it should be doubly sweet. Rest and recuperate! 💕
Oh my! I guess you need a break! I am no stranger to back pain and rib issues. Please rest,rest. Prayers your healing will be quick and complete.
THE BEARDED ONE said…
GIRL....SOCK FEET IS ALWAYS AN ACCIDENT READY TO HAPPEN ON WOODEN STEPS...I GO DOWN OUR STEPS BAREFOOT OR W/SHOES ON...SO VERY SORRY ABOUT YOUR MISHAP...THOSE RIBS ARE SURE PAINFUL WHEN CRACKED OR BROKEN..AS YOU WELL KNOW...SO VERY SORRY THAT YOU ARE IN PAIN..MOST OF US HAVE PROBABLY BEEN THERE AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER...PRAYERS FOR YOU DEAR LADY... TAKE IT EAYS A GO SLOW...HOPEFULLY THE RIB HEALS FAST...KEEP SMILNG AND HAVE A GOOD SLOW DAY AND ENJOY THE OPPORTUNITY TO SOW..READ AND PAINT!!!!!!!!!!
Sally said…
So sorry you had a fall, I know how you must fell as I have many falls, I have never broken anything so far. Wishing you a speedy recovery and just take it easy, and you will be better in no time. Blessing to you.
Karen said…
Get well soon Bev! I'm so sorry this happened to you (my mystical friends would say it's the universe's way of telling you to slow down:) *they told me that when I broke my foot! And no - I didn't slow down . . . .best wishes to you! xoxoxoKaren
Lynne said…
Great empathy and caring Beverly.
Do take sometime for healing.
Busy time of the year, I hope
there will be some helpers around for you!

I had a mishap happening in my life
a few weeks ago when stepping out
of my car I went flying thinking it was
water and instead it was black ice.
Knocked me right out!

Sending you some cheer and gentle hugs!

Leslye said…
So sorry but so thankful it wasn't worse. Prayers for your quick recovery.

Cheryl said…
Ouch! It always feels worse later, doesn't it? We women never know how to slow down, do we?

Take it easy, rest and relax and you are sure to feel better soon.
So so sorry to hear about your nasty fall. Hope you will be feeling better before too long. When the weather warms up I know how anxious you are to get outside and start your gardening. May you start to feel much better soon. Take good care, Bev.