Texture

Winter is here.  

The colors that changed over the past three seasons are all but gone now.  

Just a few shriveling, fading remnants remain... soon to be but a memory.

Some may look at this time of year as one of desolation... a drab, dreary, colorless world - best to be ignored with sights set on what comes after. 

The thing is - if you look beyond what first meets your eye and focus on the obscure, you will see that this is also a time of beauty. 

 Winter's beauty lies not so much in its color or lack there-of, but in its textures... textures as rich as the hues of summer's palette.

And though Summer's colors deliver that "wow" factor, Winter's textures are much more subtle and must be intentionally discovered.

Amazingly, mushrooms continue to poke their heads out of the ground!

After several weeks of fewer birds at our feeders, there are finally a good amount of daily visitors once again.  This hairy woodpecker and his friends, the red-bellied, and downy woodpeckers, take their turns at the suet feeders.

The green is quickly fading from the grass and there is less and less in the front pasture to be grazed.  The pigs and sheep opt to stay within their yard now during the days... the sheep, snacking on hay and chewing their cud to pass the hours.  

Between naps, the pigs remain ever vigilant to the sound of passersby - knowing that their presence near the mailbox that holds the snacks is the best insurance for getting said snacks.

And who could resist these adorable faces?

When I arrived at the barn in the afternoon, I found Moonie had shed his Foster Grants and left them lying in the dust.  I had a discussion with him about the need for eye protection no matter the weather.  He listened and promised to follow the rules.  

As I worked to clean up manure near the horses, Pete was hanging around my feet.  I scooped him up and placed him on his pony, Donnie, 

where he sat for quite a while... in no hurry to leave.

After afternoon chores were complete, I walked back home from the barn through the woods with the dogs.  I love this time of year, when leaves no longer block ones view deep into the forest.  I imagined a hundred eyes watching me, as I walk crunching dried leaves and fallen sticks beneath my feet.... all of the forest creatures still and silent to prevent detection.

The lion's share of yesterday was spent with knitting needles in hand and dogs at my feet.  And, by the way, that look on their face is "Come on, Mum, puhhhhleeeese can we go outside and have some fun?"

I'm trying my best to get this darned cable knit sweater finished.  It seems to be a never-ending project, doesn't it?  Soon... very soon... I hope!  When it is finally complete, I will show it to you... maybe even have the recipient model it!  Don't think that I haven't on occasion had a twinge of anxiety that after all this work, it might not fit!  Perish the thought!  I am knitting as much positive energy into this project as I can...so it HAS to fit!

Comments

jaz@octoberfarm said…
i love that pic of the pups. i know that look so well. i can't wait to see the sweater. it's going to be in the 60's here this weekend. where is my snow???
Maureen M said…
Thank you for sharing!
To me this is a peaceful beautiful time of year. The earth has rests but is busy in the recesses protecting next season's display of beauty.
Moonie, striking a blow. I imagine he gets tired of wearing his Fosters much like one would tire of wearing masks. Glad to hear he is going to cooperate and be a good boy!
Pete certainly looks comfy in his special spot. Apparently it doesn't bother Donnie.
Have a great day!
Anonymous said…
I don’t know which picture I love the most kitty on the back of the horse or the dogs!!
daisy g said…
Beautiful shots of the season.

I have been absent from my blog for a bit now. Just no motivation to write at the moment. With so much darkness shadowing our world, it is sometimes difficult to see the light.
Your blog does that for me every day. I so appreciate the time you take to share your days. Though you may consider it run of the mill, it helps me to see the good in the world, knowing that your critters are well cared for and your farm life has its own rhythm. Thank you for all of the light you bring into this world. Blessings...
This N That said…
I love this time of year especially the lack of bugs. That sweater Hass to fit and I’m sure it will . Have you ever Thought about painting the springhouse? I might give it a try after the holidays. Have a wonderful day Tell Moonie to behave himself.. He’s like a devilish child. Have a happy day. Hugs
Lynne said…
Loved this post Bev, and your reflections . . .
Liked the winter “texture vs color” . . .
(Wonderful photos!)

Loved seeing Pete all comfy
and Moonie shedding his protective gear.
He doesn’t do that often does he!

Looking forward to seeing the “final” on your sweater.
I fell asleep last night in one of my sweaters from Ireland.
Best night sleep ever!
Jody in Georgia said…
This morning as I opened the shutters at my bedroom window I saw the most glorious sunrise I've ever seen! Reminded me of all the beauty you see in the skies around the farm. Its gonna be a great day!!
Marcia LaRue said…
Each season has its own definitive beauty ... you have the marvelous ability of being able to transfer that beauty from your observations to your blog to share with all of your readers!
THE BEARDED ONE said…
IT IS SURE AMAZING HOW THE CHANGES OF SEASONS BRING MUCH BEAUTY IN SOME AREAS AND OTHERS DO NOT LOOK SO WELL...YOU SURE DO A GREAT JOB SHOWINGUS ALL OF THE BEAUTY THIS GREAT EARTH BRINGS US..AND THE SPECIAL THINGS YOU AND HUBBS DO TO MAKE LIFE BETTER AND ENJYABLE...KEEP SMILING AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS !!!!!!!
Eileen in Fla. said…
Awwww - Did you send the picture to McKenzie of Pete riding on Donnie's back ?? That's her kitty right? Thank you for the smile.