Full Plate

Although I got busy and decorated for Christmas right after Thanksgiving, I am finding that this holiday is sneaking up on my just a little faster than I would like.  I have been spending many hours each day knitting...working on a few last minute gifts for this year.

As I had dreamed when I first finished Maven Haven, it is the perfect place to spend time during this time of year.  The little potbelly wood stove is just the right size to adequately heat the space, making it a cozy retreat when cold winds blow.

The lack of internet, and most days cell phone service, also makes it a good place to retreat to when I want to get some serious knitting or reading or writing done.  With no interruptions or distractions, my mind is free to stay on task.

The outside is festively decorated.  The inside, however, has just a few reminders that it is the Christmas season.

Sitting in my chair with my knitting in my lap and my hot cup of tea beside me, I gaze out the window to the outdoor decorations and I imagine the same scene with a snowstorm outside.  How cozy that will be!

The brevity of today's blog is due to the fact that I spent yesterday as Santa's elf... making treats in the kitchen that will be packed up and sent off to family that I will not see over the coming holidays.  Ordinarily we have a large family Christmas party on the Saturday before Christmas.  Not this year, however.  This year will be full of compromise.  And yet, the season warms my heart and fills me with so many wonderful memories of Christmases past.  After all, there is always next year, right?

And next year I am pulling out all the stops! (In fact, I just might spend the whole next year getting ready.)

This coming Monday will complete Moonie's first week of chemotherapy for his eye.  He will then have a week off, followed by yet another week of medication.  After these three weeks are over, Dr. Becky will re-asses his eye and decisions will need to be made.  I am sure that over the next week (off), Moonie will be relieved (as will we) to have a break.  It will be a week of time spent in the pasture as well - something that will make all of the equine family happy.

For the first time in a few weeks, we walked our herd up to the upper pastures first thing in the morning after Moonie's treatment.  The donkeys were turned out in the front pasture.

When I went to the pigs' and sheep's yards to change their water and pick up pig manure, I noticed the donkeys running down through the pasture to the gate that opens to the pig yard.

As I walked down and opened that gate to allow the pigs and sheep access to the front pasture, the donkeys scooted under the fence and through the gate into the pig yard.


Apparently the grass is greener (it actually is, in this case.)  


They're quite savvy, these two, and know that they can find some lush hay beneath the sheep's hay feeder
Although it can't be easy eating hay through a grazing muzzle.


Next, they checked out the bits of hay that the pigs drag out of their house.
.
 

Later, the pigs and sheep and donkeys were all out in the front pasture enjoying the sunny morning.


Sorry we skipped another Friday's Food For Thought, but my plate was a little full this week.  If there are any subjects that you are interested in discussing for a coming Friday, please don't hesitate to suggest!!

Please stay safe and have a wonderful weekend!

We'll be back Monday with more Tales From The Farm.

Comments

colleen said…
Maven Haven puts me right into dream land. What a perfect little get away especially for this time of year.
I hope and pray that when Moonie gets assessed it will be all good news.
Don't worry about Friday's Food for Thought, everything you post is perfect!! Have a great weekend. xoxoxo
jaz@octoberfarm said…
what a perfect haven for when it snows! i can't even mail presents this year because it's not safe to go to our post office. everything is shutting down again starting tomorrow. the numbers here are crazy out of control. i agree with you, i might start preparing for next year's celebrations as soon as the new year starts!
Lynne said…
Refreshing to read you . . .
Although I am longing for some snowy days . . .
I must admit, this still green, almost like spring time weather.
has been a real treat!

I mentioned to “Mister Irish” the other day . . .
let’s go look for a pot belly stove.
And received “that look” of what for.
I said, “I want my garden house to be what I originally planned.”
He smiled . . . and said, “guess we would need to build another building.”
Hmmmmmm .. .

Enjoy your Maven Haven creating, knitting time.
Merry Christmas
Marcia LaRue said…
LOL .. I love those elf booties, as well!
Your little Maven Haven is your own personal "let it be" space! We appreciate you letting us in to enjoy it with you occasionally!
Next year simply has to be better then what this entire year has been! Praise God and pass the eggnog ... we'll celebrate however we can where we can and utilize whatever video chat you use! It's almost as good as being there!
Have a wonderful weekend ... we have a bit of snow on the ground this Friday morning!!!
This N That said…
I'm sure you have been super busy doing what you do!! Love your Maven Haven.Nice to have a place you can call your own!!Peace and quiet is sometimes very refreshing..The Donkeys were doing "cleanup" !! I hope Moonies treatment is doing the trick..
I recognize the Santa in the first pic..LOL
Enjoy your weekend..