Back From Staycation

After a very hot and extremely dry July,
August brought us some much needed showers.
This rain happened to coincide with our Staycation,
but didn't put a damper on things at all.

We were lucky to get overnight and early morning showers,
which cooled down the days considerably.
With little ones here for three days, we were lucky to be able 
to play outside quite a bit.


We had tea parties in the garden playhouse...


We crowned a king and queen of the haystack...


My son, who loves to cook, treated us to pizza in our 
outdoor wood-fired pizza oven.


He has been perfecting his own crust recipe for months...


and all of the practice was well worth it,
because it is the best pizza crust I have ever tasted!


While the fire in the pizza oven died down, we built
up a fire in the fire pit and roasted marshmallows.
S'mores for dessert is becoming a farm tradition.


I still have memories of childhood picnics in my aunt and uncle's
picnic pavilion... so I know these little ones will carry 
these memories through their lifetime as well.


After three days at the farm, little ones returned home Friday
evening- and we enjoyed a quiet weekend here at the farm.


With temperatures in the 80's we were able to spend a lot of time
outside.


Saturday we went for a 30 mile bike ride through the countryside.
We stopped at a local Post Office to drop of Etsy packages,
then continued on into a predominately Amish area
to look for more elastic in an Amish dry goods store.

Here is a video of that ride. [link if needed]


I was able to finish a shawl that I had been knitting,
and listed it in my Etsy store.
(It is sold, now.)


I began knitting a pair of fingerless mitts.


With color inspiration from our morning glories...


And found a little time to sew more masks...
with many more already cut out ready to sew.


I am also doing a few hand embroidered masks of my own design...
"fancy" ones, as Mackenzie would say.

I installed a mailbox on the front of Maven Haven...
just in case!
I'll let you in on a little secret...
one of my favorite things each day is going to the mailbox...
and when there is "good" mail for me...
well, that's just the best thing!


 Saturday afternoon, I took a trip back down to the creek...


to dig up that red cardinal flower that I had found along the shore.
(It's now planted in my garden.)


I hiked along the upper bank of the stream in search of
some colorful fungus that I had seen earlier in the week.


I had to crab-walk to get down to the edge of this hill,
so as not to tumble over the cliff, into the stream.... about 20 feet below me.
My mission was successful and I harvested a few lovely
pieces of this fungus that I will dry to use in decor.



After leaving the creek,
I sat, quietly, in our "Field of Dreams" watching a fawn play in the grass...
a magical moment.
I didn't move a muscle as she walked closer and closer towards me
before scampering off into the tall grass in search of her Mama.


I've missed caring for our animals over the past week...
as those chores were largely done by friends and neighbors,
so as to give us a week's vacation.
But like every vacation... even those in which we never 
leave the farm... it's good to be back home again taking care of my
furred and feathered loves!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Looks like a great time!
jaz@octoberfarm said…
what a wonderful staycation! you aways know when you are in amish country when you see poop on the road!
daisy g said…
Great memories for those wee ones!

I secretly enjoy getting the mail too! It's so sad that folks no longer write letters anymore.

What a wonderful resource to have for materials. We have no Amish places in our area that I know of.

Enjoy your mild temperatures!
Lynne said…
Loved the pictures
Pizza yum
Gorgeous country
For sure I could see the Amish influence
No matter where we go, what we are doing . . .
Being back at home, in our routine seems to always be my BEST . . .
Lovely shawl . . .
Lisa said…
Seems like a lovely time was had by all! And wow what a gorgeous pizza oven. And pizza. We are hoping to build one someday.
Marcia LaRue said…
Seeing as how I will never travel to PA or anywhere on the Eastern coast ... you allow me a scenic cruise of your highways and byways on your bike rides! Thank you so much for allowing me [us] to sit on your handlebars and view your beautiful and serene countryside!
Your blogs are such a needed escape every morning ... love it and love you!
That pizza sure looks good. Your little ones are not so little anymore. They looked wonderful and you are very blessed.
littlemancat said…
Great pictures and narrative! Hope the red cardinal flowers does well for you - it's beautiful.
And enjoyed the video so much - hope you got the elastic at the Amish store. Not too far from here,in East Earl,Lancaster county, there is Good's, a Mennonite store which has everything anyone could need. And the staff are most helpful. Customer service the best.
Mary
Jeannie said…
What a wonderful staycation. Such adorable grandkids and I know they will have many memories to cherish. Love the pizza and outdoor oven. Love the knitting colors you came up with based on your flowers. You have so much energy and creativity. Is there anything you can't do? Thanks for a delightful peek into your world.
This N That said…
Love that Mackenzie raises her pinkie to drink her tea..She also does that when pouring it LOL.Is she left handed??Andys pizza looks yummy..Does he do takeout or delivery?? Beautiful bike ride through the PA countryside complete with horse manure...Beautiful shawl...Cute mailbox..Wish I were closer..The fungus looks somewhat like Turkeys in the picture..I can see their beaks..I'm sure the animals love having you back full time...Hugs
Pizza and S'mores! The perfect meal!
Leslye said…
I made Bev's recipe for blueberry buckle Saturday and my family finished it by Sunday.Everyone needs to make this, your family will love you even more.
Loved that trip through your beautiful countryside, Bev. Such a treat! Always fun to see your littles too. A ton of fun is always found at your place. God Bless You and all who hang out around your place....humankind and otherwise. :)
Hilly Nicolay said…

What a nice blog.
Also made beautiful mouth caps.

Have a nice summer day and greetings.