Sunshine, Blue Skies, And Friends

Sunshine, blue skies, and friends...
recipe for a perfect day.


Now mind you, with the current situation,
those friends all have four legs.


But, they are friends, all the same.


Yesterday was mowing day on the farm.
I finished mowing just before afternoon chore time.
After feeding the goats,
I decided to just lay in the green grass and soak up 
some of the sunshine in the goat yard.


Andy kept an eye on me while hiding safely behind the goat houses.


As the minutes passed, he relaxed and curiosity took over.
He stepped out to take a closer look at this human.


"I think she's fainted!"  Sissy exclaimed.


"Nah," said O'Malley as she walked closer to inspect me,
"we're fainting goats.  I don't think she's a fainting human."
Note, O'Malley has shed out her cashmere winter coat,
but has retained her cashmere cowl.


One by one, they all ventured out to see this strange 
being, lying prone, behind a camera.


Yesterday was another great day for birdwatching.
With a large bow window in our master bathroom,
and the bird feeders placed outside the window,
the bathroom is the best place in the house to see a wide variety of birds.

This Baltimore oriole came to the platform feeder late yesterday afternoon.
The feeder has a cake of citrus flavored suet... an oriole favorite.


Perhaps the most interesting bird was this brown-headed cowbird...


who put on a display for his own reflection in the window.
I'm not sure if it was a display of territoriality or if it was a mating display,
but it went something like this....





I'm thinking it is a display of dominance...
he's rather aggressive looking!

Yesterday I posted a photo of a Red-bellied woodpecker.
Although he has a red head,
if you look at his belly... you can see a very light red patch
just above his tail.


This photo, on the other hand, is a Red-headed woodpecker...
(compliments of Audubon Society)


I could definitely lose myself in bird-watching.
They are fascinating, smart creatures.
It's great to have them back again...
as there's no better soundtrack than birdsong when I am out and about the farm.

PS...
Look who popped his head above the ground to say hello...


Asparagus season has arrived!!

Comments

daisy g said…
Whoo-hoo! Asparagus! Some good eatin' will be goin' on there this week!

Yes, we love birds too. We have been enjoying an onslaught of goldfinches. We have brown-headed cowbirds too, but have not witnessed that ritual yet. They are so fascinating.
We've even spotted a couple of hummers already.

Love the smell of freshly mowed grass.
Enjoy this glorious day!
jaz@octoberfarm said…
my asparagus is just popping up now too. a beautiful red-headed woodpecker flew into my porch window last week. it was quite startled for a while but then flew off. brendan said it was no big deal for it to hit it's head since that is basically it's job!
Marcia LaRue said…
Thank you for the correction on the woodpeckers! Difficult to see that light red patch on the original bird!
Oh my ... the only asparagus I can get is from the grocery store since I'm not in a place where I can have a garden! I love the thin spears on a little pizza! Yum!! Or steamed or even raw -- anyway I can get it is how I like asparagus! LOL
Katmom said…
Loving your sunshine,,, send us your extra sunshine:)
Margy said…
We saw our first ever Baltimore Oriole yesterday here in northern KY. I better get some citrus suet too.
This N That said…
Nice to see the goaties..I have never seen a Baltimore Oriole here..Still waiting..Yum....Asparagus!!
Enjoy your day..xxoo
The markings on that first goat's lips (SIssy?) gives the goat a real Elvis curl of the lip!