Time Flies

They say "time flies when you're having fun."
Well, we must be having a lot of fun!

You might want to pour yourself a cup of tea.
Oh, and you'll need a couple biscuits... this is going to be a long one!
I have much to share!


I remember the days when my children were busy in extra-curricular
activities... music lessons, sports, scouts, etc.
Those were busy days for sure.
In those days, however, we were geared for busy-ness.
Our own personal activities were put on the back burner.
We wore many hats in those days, both at home and at work,
but none as important as being our kids' biggest fans.

In retrospect, it all passes by so quickly that it's almost
impossible to believe we've come full circle.
Nowadays, we've traded some of our hats in for others and happily get to wear
our "biggest fan" hats all over again... for our grandchildren!


Farm chores and fun activities can easily fill a weekend.
Add to this the fact that we have arrived in those sweet days that 
are also filled with the activities of our grandchildren,
and it adds up to a fun-filled, fully-packed schedule - 
especially on weekends.


Lately, we have used our weekdays to recover from our weekends.
The past few days were no exception.

We began the weekend with our Littles.


Their Daddy (my son) had shoulder surgery on Friday,
so, while Hubbs went along to the hospital, I gave everyone breakfast and got them to "school."
Surgery went well, and once everyone was comfortably settled at home,
we headed back to the farm.
(I need to mention that we took their Black Sammie along home with us,
to make life easier for everyone... not to mention the fact that Black Sammie 
loves to visit the farm.)


Sammie is a Lab/Coon hound mix and boy does he love to sing!!

With mornings as cold as yesterday, all dogs wear coats for morning chores...
Black Sammie fits in Oakley's (how we miss that old boy!) old coat.


And if you are new and wondering why we call him Black Sammie...
it's because we have our own Brown Sammie.

Saturday morning, we travelled an hour to Tyler's swim meet
to watch him swim a couple of events.
He's quite a fish!
He is in the next-to-the-last lane in the photo below.


We were back home by lunchtime.
The weather was cold and clear, so we spent some time in the pastures,


cleaning up manure from the preceding day.


Of course, the pigs are always curious as to what we are up to.


And the sheep... seeing that there were four dogs in the front pasture,
made a hasty retreat back into their yard.


Saturday evening I met my daughter, Jenn, and Tyler in my favorite little local town
(where they actually moved to last week)
for the annual Christmas Tree Lighting.


Santa arrived by hook and ladder truck...

was hoisted up on the ladder truck to the top of the tree,
where, as he reached out his hand to touch the tree...


the lights magically came on.

Before heading back home, I stopped to watch Tyler decorate
their tree...


then returned home and finished decorating our second tree, 


in the family room.


Sunday morning we had our traditional Farm Breakfast...


Dr. Becky (Hubbs' sister) and her hubby and kids joined us, as well as Tyler and his Mom.


After a little farm work, we headed back to town to watch Tyler's guitar recital.


We made a quick stop by the Littles' house to check on their Daddy's shoulder...
then back to the farm.

Somehow, between all of this activity, I did manage to get two sewing projects finished.
This special order top in grey linen...


with a pocket that I hand-embroidered.


And these special order bibs for a baby named Violet:


I worked on this project, started last week...
another yoked sweater... this one with leaves around the yoke.


I baked a pan of tiny Gingerbread house parts...


and decorated them...


And just to give you an idea of their size....


I'm sure you are wondering how I found the time, 
with all of the family activities and farm chores.


It may have had something to do with waking up each morning at 4 AM.
I can be very productive at that hour of the day.
But don't worry... I was sound asleep by 8:30 those evenings!
I seriously think that my body is in a time zone located somewhere in the middle
of the Atlantic Ocean.

So did you think that the weekend was over?
Not yet!
Sunday evening we drove a half-hour north of the farm to our favorite brewery.
You've heard me mention the Rusty Rail before.
Performing here, on this particular evening, was one of my very favorite entertainers...
(I've mentioned her before)
Davina and the Vagabonds.


Now the truly amazing story about all of this is....
I had raved about this gifted performer (musician and singer) on my blog
a few summers ago when I first saw her.
One of my local friends is an old friend of Davina's mother,
and she forwarded that blog post on to her.
Davina's mother happens to be Dee Hartman,
who, if you read the comment section of my blog is an extremely
generous and talented commenter....
frequently gifting my comment section with a bit of her poetry.
Dee, herself, is a pretty amazing and talented musician, poet,
and artist.
(This family has great genes!!)
To make a long story short, after years of communicating via
Facebook and my Blog...
I finally got the chance to meet Dee in person last evening at her daughter's show.
She's every bit as sweet and wonderful as she looks in this photo.


Great Fun!!!!!
The show was fantastic... of course.
Meeting Dee was the icing on the cake.
She gifted me this print one of her artworks, 
a painting of fairies and morel mushrooms...
(just like we have here on the farm!)


See?  I told you she was an awesome artist!!
I can hardly wait to hang this where I can see it daily.

Thank goodness Monday is here.
It's time to rest up from this wild and wonderful weekend!!
Oh, I forgot... tonight is Tyler's school holiday concert.
He's singing in the choir and playing the violin...
one very busy boy!
(If you've been reading my blog long enough, you will agree with me...
it seems like just yesterday we brought him home to the farm as a newborn baby.)

Comments

daisy g said…
I think I need a nap after reading of your escapades!

What a thrill to meet one of your favorite performers and her momma!

Tyler is certainly a well-rounded young man. Hope they love their new digs.
Anonymous said…
Bev, I love that you get to do and see and enjoy so much!! When our attitude is that we GET to, rather than HAVE to, life becomes one enjoyable moment after another! And all we truly have is this moment in time, and the next, and the next. We don't live in yesterday or tomorrow. You show us all just how rich life can be (and yes, even in the midst of loss and sorrow) when our perceptions are that we GET to! Thanks for continuing to share your life, and inspiring all of us! Karla from Illinois
I also love reading about your everyday activities. You are so busy, don't forget to breathe once in awhile. I love that art work. I will have to show it to my fairies when they get back in the spring. They are winter vacationing in the Florida Keys again this year. They seem to like it there.
Yowza! I am tired just READING about your exploits! How do you find the energy to ACTUALLY DO them all?
Kim said…
Most of us have 24 hours in a day....somehow you have between 28-34 hours in a day. Perhaps time gifted to you by the fairies you take care of in your gardens? I'm with everyone else...ready for a nap just reading this!
Anonymous said…
Love reading about your busy, happy life.
Phyllis
littlemancat said…
Add me to the folks admiring your amazing stamina and joy of life! And how wonderful that Tyler has so many and varied interests - a future Renaissance man!
And those bibs! I wonder if you could make me some with a bee theme for a special little girl arriving in January! Name is to be Beatrix.
I do love those violets - my birthflower.
Mary
This N That said…
And having fun you were..All that sure makes me tired..I love that painting..It was so nice of her to give it to you..She is quite talented..Cute Gingerbread houses..clever idea..Adorable bib..Tyler is very involved..Happy to see that...Black Sammie needs a manicure.??Glad Andy is doing well...xxoo
Lynne said…
I love your energy and happenings . . .
Not sure how you manage, but I love it!
Beautiful art, artists . . .
Wonderful events you witnessed.
Looks like Tyler is loving his music!
Swimming too . . .
Staying involved in the lives of my children, grands and greats
has brought me my greatest gifts!