Looking Beyond

Some days I find that I must be intentional about seeing 
beyond the muck and mire,


to the beauty that is always there.


It happens from time to time, as the beautiful, white snow melts and turns grey,
and the mud runs deep.


When all that was crisp and clean and colorful gets just a little messy looking.
It's then that I look beyond the dirt,
to the beauty beneath it...


Once in a while, nature will give me a gift - 
an unexpected treasure, that acts as a reminder of what was and will be again.


On these cold, damp, grey days, 
we turn our sights inward and bask in the warmth of our home...


or someone else's...


Grazing time is very limited at this time of year.
The horses and donkeys were out in the front pasture for a few hours yesterday,
as much of the snow had melted.
I hate to over-graze the pasture at this time of year when the grass is no longer growing.
Hooves can easily tear up the grass with all of the moisture in the ground.
I try to maintain a good amount of grass there to prevent erosion.


We use the pastures mostly to prevent boredom at this time of year.
Hay is the staple of everyone's diet.


When the sheep are unable to go out to pasture,
they usually wind up inside the pig house feasting on the pigs' hay.


They have their own hay feeder, but they tell me that that pigs' hay is much tastier.
Of course.


I am sure the pigs enjoy the company, 
being the sociable creatures that they are.


It's days like this that make me crave the comfort of home.
I spent a little time, yesterday, changing the linens in our upstairs guest room.


In the spring and summer I keep a flowered quilt on the bed.
For the autumn and winter, I exchange the flowers for buffalo plaid...


giving it a North-woodsy coziness.


Speaking of cozy...


I couldn't help but chuckle at Ivy asleep with her head on Hubb's box.
This is the bathroom window, where she spends her time each morning
 while I am showering.


She has a peculiar habit of entering the shower with me as soon as I turn off the water.
Then she stares up at me and meows for the next 5 minutes.
I have no clue what she is trying to tell me.
She's done this every morning since she came to live with us.

Comments

Jacky said…
Your donkey photo with the glow from the heat lamp makes it look like part of a nativity scene.
This N That said…
IV is telling you to put some clothes on! Sammy used to support her head on chair rungs... Your guestroom is lovely. The sheep since the" grass is greener". Lovely post. Nice content. Enjoy your day
Jody in Georgia said…
I love the pictures of Ivy - can't imagine what she's trying to tell you, though. I have a cat who enters my shower as soon as I turn off the water or walks around the edge of my soaking tub when I'm in it. He seems to like water, though, as he's leaning over my sink when I brush my teeth and I can't count the number of times he's tipped over my steel water bottle to spill the water on the wood floors! But I love him!
Anonymous said…
I’ve read that when an animal stares at you that means they love you
Karen said…
I look so forward to your post every day - so uplifting . . . .

We have two cats that after every shower or bath - and there's a little water left in the tub they can't wait to jump in and lick it up! They sit outside the bathroom door just waiting:) Life with animals is just so rich and rewarding . . .


littlemancat said…
I love the photos today- well, I always do - but there's a lovely, old world quality about the dark outdoor ones. And I agree about the donkey pic.
Sweet Ivy resting her head! Very dear. My Max comes into the bathroom too, but not the shower. I think too that when they look at you deeply, it truly means they love you.
Mary
jaz@octoberfarm said…
ivy is too cute! everyone looks so cozy. i love buffalo plaid anything!
Anonymous said…
I love your little Ivy.
Phyllis
Katmom said…
Ivy is a sweetie.. I luv kitties (as you know)...
Enjoy your Autumn season, and Happy Thanksgiving to you and all at BHA.
hugz
>^..^<
Dee J. Hartman said…
I cannot find words to describe the beauty of your blog! Thank you for sharing your wonderful talents with others!