Porch Birding

I am sitting on our front porch beneath the shade of the vaulted porch roof.  It's a hot day, but a breeze blows through this space and I am comfortable.  The work is done and my sole purpose in sitting here is just to watch.  I am watching all of the comings and goings - from woods to bird feeders and back again.

Beside me, lying in the sun are Annie 

and Forrest (Chester has chosen the cool of the indoor air-conditioning).

Suddenly, there's a coolness to the air as the wind picks up speed and I am aware of dark clouds gathering overhead.  The metallic "squeeeeeeee" of the garage weathervane as it turns in the wind adds a shrill overtone to the gentle chorus of birdsong I've been hearing.  

From the top of the fir tree across the yard from where I sit, I hear the cooing of mourning doves.  Their mournful cry is almost drowned out by the call of a Carolina wren hidden in some brush below - its song almost too loud for its diminutive stature.

 Further down in the fir tree a red bellied woodpecker peeks out from his hiding spot on a branch.

Within moments, he leaves his hidden perch and alights on the suet feeder.

This suet feeder attracts a lot of attention. 

 There is usually someone waiting in the shadows of the trees for their turn upon it.  This time it's a Baltimore oriole.

Elsewhere, a downy woodpecker fluffs her feathers and awaits her turn,

then finds an open spot and takes it.

A platform feeder is also a popular landing spot for bluejays, finches, cardinals, and an occasional common grackle.

I am delighted with an audience afforded me by two rare visitors -  a rose-breasted grosbeak, and an indigo bunting.

A pair of goldfinches lands on the crook that holds the sunflower seed feeder, wearing their bright, sunny summer finery

If it weren't for the movement of the dogs on the porch, this coming and going would continue all afternoon and evening.

We feed a lot of birds here at our home at the edge of the woods.  A worthy cause, I believe.  So much of these winged creatures' habitat has been taken over by humanity.  Sadly, fields of soy and corn offer no nutrition to these tiny, feathered beings.  So, we offer them food in exchange for a chance to witness their ethereal beauty.

Comments

Karla said…
Bev, I LOVE the variety of birds that you have! Living in a subdivision, we have quite a few varieties, and keep ourselves poor by buying the good nyjer seed for our goldfinches, and sunflower seed for the others! We love watching their antics, and over the years, have many backyard bird stories and memories.
daisy g said…
Beautiful post. This did my heart good today. Blessings...
Rena said…
Beautiful Beverly. A heavenly place to be. Thank you for sharing.
Jeannie said…
I felt like I was sitting right beside you on that peaceful porch. Your words were like a soothing balm to me this morning. Enjoy your celebration this afternoon.
Marcia LaRue said…
Birding, as a start to this Independence Day, was a very pleasant surprise!
I hope you and everyone can enjoy this July 4th ... πŸŽ‡πŸ§¨πŸŽ†
Eileen in Fla. said…
I join the other Readers in appreciation for a needed restful moment at your bird feeder. Your photography was made for capturing the wildlife.
This N That said…
Lovely pictures with wonderful narration. Enjoy your day. Happy fourth! Hugs
I just said to my hubby that I open the door off the kitchen to the back porch to listen to the birds, especially while enjoying breakfast. How I love their varied songs and seeing them also come and go on the feeders. A few all to short 6 or 8 weeks and they will gradually start their winter migration and the joyful songs will quiet down to a few year long birds who stay. For now, I am thoroughly enjoying them as you are. Happy Independence Day!
THE BEARDED ONE said…
WOW !!!!!!!! WHAT A WIDE VARIETY OF BIRDS...WE USE TO SIT ON THE PORCH AND WATCH THE HUMMINGBIRDS KILLING THEIR LIQUID DIET AND I HAVE BIRD FEEDERS HANGING FROM TREE BRANCHES... FOR SOME STRANGE REASON WE ARE NOT HAVING THE VARIETY OF BIRDS THAT WE USE TO ...WE HAD INDIGO BUNNINGS ON THE HILL AND DOWN AT THE HOUSE..I HAD A BROWN BIRD THAT SOUNDLY LIKE SHE WAS SPEAKING SPANISH WHO REAISED HER BABIES IN THE WORK SHOP...BUT THE TREE SHE LIKED TO SIT IN WAS BLOWN DOWN ONE NIGHT AND DESTROYED A DOUBLE GLIDER/SWING..AND SHE HAS NEVER RETURNED... HAVE 15 BIRD FEEDERS KEPT FULL OF SUNFLOWER SEED AND THEY WEAR THEM OUT...I ALSO HAVE 4 HUMMINGBIRD FEEDERS...IT GETS A BIT EXPENSIVE KEEPING ALL OF THE VARIOUS FEEDERS FULL...I ALSO HAVE 5 SUET FEEDERS AND THE SURE WEAR THEM OUT !! HAVE A GREAT 4th AND THANK YOU FOR THESE AWESOME PICS AND POST... YOUR THOUGHTS ARE ALSO TOP NOTCH...LOV'EM..ENJOY !!!!!!
I'm so glad that you feed the birds. What a wonderful array of them visited you while you were sitting out and resting. I love the pictures. We have had all of those beauties at one time or another....usually we only see the Baltimore Orioles in May. It was fun to picture myself sitting there too, on that beautiful deck and seeing all the wonderful nature going on around you. Thanks for a lovely, peaceful post! Happy 4th to you and yours, Bev.
Lynne said…
i appreciated your post.
Best free treat ever to sit, watch, listen to the birds.
Jack and I have made it our daily afternoon “watch and listen!”
i keep practicing my bird calls!
Happy Independence Day!