Some Spring Cleaning

A thick blanket of clouds blocked yesterday's sun - but still the temperatures reached into the 70's! 

You may have seen over the past year that Pete and Forrest have grown quite a friendly relationship.  Forrest loves Pete.  He's his cat - just ask him, he'll tell you!  He frequently walks up to Pete and places a paw on his back to push him to the ground.  Then Forrest lies down in front of him and the fun begins.

Yesterday that included a jab with the left,

a right hook 

followed by yet another right hook.

And with that, playtime was over.  "Time to feed the cats!" rang out from the barn - Jack's "front and center" call to all felines and canines.  The cats get their wet breakfast, and the dogs get to lick the cans - Mmmm, delicious!

After morning chores I took a walk out to check the vernal pool where all of the wood frogs had laid their eggs weeks ago.  Earlier, I had seen tadpoles.  However, now there appears to be nothing in these puddles but water and algae.  I sure hope those frogs know what they were doing!

Of course, Forrest ran through the mud puddles in the vicinity, getting his paws and legs muddy.

A quick trip to the pond,  and our filthy puppy was good as new!


Because I am caught up with garden work (for the time being) I used yesterday's clouds as an excuse to deep-clean, re-organize, and rearrange my sewing room.  In the almost 15 years since we built this house, I had never rearranged this room.  I felt it needed an infusion of some fresh energy.  (I forgot to take a before photo)

Now, the view from the doorway is this...



A daybed (with a trundle beneath) provides a third room with sleeping arrangements for overnight guests.


In front of the largest windows are my sewing machines so that I can look out over the woods and see the squirrels and birds while I sew.


On the opposite side of the room, I have my painting corner.


The table doubles as a cutting area for fabric on the left, and a painting area on the right.

The pie safe to the left of the table houses fabric scraps and painting supplies.


It almost feels like a brand new room!

Yesterday's blog elicited some questions about our 250+ year old log cabin.  Perhaps the best way to show you more about it is through a few old blog posts - linked below.


For those who have never seen the inside of our old log cabin... HERE is a blog post with a little tour of the inside.  HERE is another post showing a little more of the inside (written quite a few years ago!)

Comments

Thanks so much for sharing the links to the cabin posts. For answering my questions. What a wonderful piece of history for which to be a caretaker.

You're sewing room is just beautiful. So neat and tidy. Love the dress on the dress form. So sweet. I'm guessing you made it.

We are having rain and more rain. After Monday it's been raining and will continue through the next two days. I hope these April's showers are going to bring May flowers and sunshine.

Wahoorfg Grosko said…
Thanks for the link to the old cabin post. I love checking out the construction of old buildings. I admired it at an OIP Summer Picnic years ago.
Thanks also for taking us along on your farm adventures each day.
I love your sewing room! A bright, cheerful place for sure. I noticed the clever use of the old ladder on the wall. Very good! I am a furniture re-arranger. I love to open the windows, take a room apart, do a deep clean and rearrange the furniture. It gives me a sense of newness and accomplishment. Unfortunately I am not able physically to do that any more but it is still one of my favorite spring things!
Judy G said…
I love hearing about and seeing pics of your old log cabin. What a wonderful treasure you have. And you are taking such good care of it too. @my_desert_homestead
This N That said…
Our sunny days were short-lived but that's OK. It was getting a little warm!
Love the pictures of Pete and Forrest.. Warms my heart...
I think I remember a blog post of you redoing your sewing room? You switch to your table and your daybed. I assume you can still get in the closets? No natural light when you're painting? Looks great.. I used to love changing things around but my choices are very limited these days.
Somethings just have to be where they are.
THE BEARDED ONE said…
AWESOME...MY GRANDPARENTS USE TO LOVE IN A LOG HOUSE....WHEN I GOT TO SPEND THE NIGHT DURING THE WINTER..I'D HAVE 2/3 QUILTS AND THE SAME FOR THE BLANKETS...THE WIND WOULD WHISTLE IN THROUGH THE CRACKS...WHEN IT SNOWED...I'D WAKE UP W/SNOW ON THE BED COVERS...I LOVED IT...SPECIAL TIMES AND GREAT MEMORIES...THANK YOU DEAR LADY FOR THE PICS AND COMMENTARIES...KEEP SMILING AND HAVE SUPOER FINE DAY !!!!!!

THANK YOU AGAIN !!!!!!!!
I think I've said it before....you have a wonderful house! It always looks so homey and shiny and welcoming. You are blessed to be living there and I'm sure you and hubs feel that way every day....even with all the work it take to keep it up. People who get to come and stay overnight, must feel so lucky!