Seventy Five and Sunny!

I have made this proclamation countless times.  I pretty much love whatever season I am in - however, Spring and Autumn make me giddy.  I [seriously] am head-over-heels about springtime.

The front pasture has so many clumps of daffodils blooming in all varieties.  It makes me happy just walking through this area!

I know that I show you this same photo quite often; but, it's actually a different photo each time.  It's just that I am so often caught off guard by the beauty of this little old cabin as I pass by it on the way to the pond to feed the ducks.

  And because the look of it reaches out and grabs me - I take yet another photo of it.  It is, without a doubt, one of my most favorite spots in all the world.  Especially, when it is surrounded by Spring's finery!  Each day, the flowering quince becomes just a bit brighter than the preceding day.  And so... another photo!

The pace of life around the farm right now echos the pace of nature, as a new season unfolds.  We are as busy as honeybees gathering nectar!

 There's much to be done - flower gardens to clean up, seeds to plant, seedlings to water, grass to mow.  The list seems to never end, and yet, it's a joyful list that I wake up excited to tackle.  The only thing slowing me down is an occasional day of (necessary) rain.

I spend a little time each morning puttering in the vegetable garden - checking growth of seeds and pulling an occasional weed - just generally spreading a little love over each of my garden boxes.  Each one holds so much potential that will be realized over the coming months.

Yesterday, I harvested some rhubarb that I am going to use to make a small rhubarb crisp for Hubbs and I.  As much as I love to bake, we rarely eat dessert.  However, homegrown treats are always an exception - rhubarb crisp with a scoop of vanilla ice cream... perfect for a Welcome Spring celebratory dessert!

After chores were finished and the horses were brought back to the barn...

with Moonie once again in charge of his own transporting...

(out of the pasture and down to the garden!)

 I painted a few more garden markers...

(spinach, radishes, peas, carrots)  I still have a few markers to paint - beans, zucchini, yellow squash, gourds, cantaloupes, etc.

You might remember the perennial garden that went to @#&! - our plan is to kill it and till it.  And although killing it goes against my principle, it is filled with a weed that has the most tenacious root system that we absolutely cannot get rid of. 

 Hopefully once it is tilled, I will be able to sift through the soil and remove every last bit of tuberous root.  If this were a lovely flowering weed, I would let well enough alone, but this weed is (I hate to say) just ugly. I would love to quickly reclaim my beautiful garden.  But with the amount of anticipated work, I don't believe I will have a lovely garden to show you in this place for yet another year.  This summer will be the season of eradication.  For the present time, I will just enjoy these few hyacinths that have emerged in this space.  As for that wooden arch behind the garden - I am trying to root some climbing rose bush clippings to hopefully plant later this year.  My dream is to have it covered in climbing roses!  Thanks Kendalle for the clippings!

Lastly, I wanted to show you what garden watering looks like in the presence of a water dog.  

I swear he can smell water.

The hose turns him into a snapping alligator!

I foresee a summer of Forrest playing in a sprinkler just like a kid!

Comments

So much beauty all around this time of year! But then each season holds a beauty of its own.
Have you ever gone into the log cabin? Would love to see photos of the inside. What do you use it for or maybe not able?
It is a beautiful setting surrounded by so many things and the gorgeous forsythia!
Have a blessed day!
jaz@octoberfarm said…
my family thinks i'm senile. they see me standing and staring at dirt. only i can see what's in that dirt!!! what kind of weed was in that area?
Unknown said…
Beautiful photos! In our area I tend to take repeat photos of dogwood trees...they are so beautiful this time of year.
Our girl LOVES the hose, it hasn't come out for the season yet, but she is waiting. We do a whole ceremony of putting it away in the fall so she knows not to pester you for it.
Lisa G in TN
sillygirl said…
If they only would let him I think Forrest would love to go to a water park. You probably wouldn't get him to leave.
THE BEARDED ONE said…
THESE ARE AWESOME AS USUAL...I'D SURE LOVE TO SEE YOUR PLACE IN PERSON...HAVE A SUPER FINE DAY AND THANK YOU FOR MAKING OURT DAY START GREAT !!!!!
Marcia LaRue said…
Daffodils are my absolute favorite flowers and you have so many beautiful varieties!
Your garden signs are just too cute!
I think Forrest is the Peter Pan of the canine world!
Anonymous said…
Oh Bev, I love flowering Quince… the baby powder scent of the blossoms draws me and a gazillion species of Bees 🐝 to the tree…
On the negative side, Autumn clean up of the bitter fruit and leaves ,,, not so fun, I gladly do it knowing that next Spring I and my 🐝 will be treated to a fabulous display of blossoms bees 🐝 and the most lovely scent.
Hugz from Katmom
This N That said…
I think you have about every type of daffodil there is and the perfect place for them. The cabin is beautiful this time of year.
It's a shame about your perennial garden but I'm sure you will do something very creative with it when it lets you.
Forrest is so entertaining... Such a happy dog.
Anonymous said…
Another great blog post! And for the person asking about what the inside of the cabin looks like, if you search "cabin" on the blog, old posts will come up with pictures! I think you could totally turn it into a little country store and sell flower bouquets, fresh veggies, and jams! love seeing pictures of all your animals.
I just love watching your garden boxes and all the wonderful things they produce each year. Your daffodils are amazing....such a variety and all so beautiful. I didn't remember that your perennial garden when all to heck.....hope you are successful in building a lovely new one! I can't believe your dog loves water so much. i've never seen anything like it.