Routine

This is pretty much how every morning unfolds...

We stop by the pond to feed the ducks and the fish.  Now that warmer weather has arrived, the fish are once again active.  We have had these 5 koi for as long as I can remember - a friend had put them in our pond over 20 years ago.  I wonder if they are the original koi (originally much smaller than they are now) or if they are another generation.  Regardless... they are a welcome sight each morning. During the colder months they remain in the depths of our pond - in a type of hibernation known as torpor.  In this state, their metabolism slows way down, lowering their body temperature - so much so that they don't eat.


After the pond, we head to the barn, with a stop along the way so that Jack can give Faith and Ginger their morning graham cracker treats.

Meanwhile, I walk to the barn and am greeted by Moonie and Red, who nicker when they see me - excited to know that it's time for some grazing.


Out to the pasture these two go...

Meanwhile, Ginger has now walked through the front pasture to the dry lot gate... requesting her breakfast.


I open the gate for the donkeys to have access to the front pasture, and of course, Ginger comes right into the dry lot to tell me just how starving she is!  (Ahem, Ginger - you just had a treat, so I know you aren't actually starving!) 


 Pigs lack the gene for satiety, so they are constantly hungry.


She willingly follows me back out into the front pasture where breakfast is served.
While at the barn, waterers are cleaned and refilled, manure is scooped.  The runner ducks and guineas are fed and watered as well.  Then we head up to the chicken houses to open up for the day.


Our rooster, Goose, hops up and crows his morning greeting (every day - exactly the same way)


Then he hops down and chases the hens around looking for love.  Of course, the hens are more interested in eating their scratch. 


No morning is complete without a little canoodling...


I could probably change the name of this blog to the Adventures of Pete and Forrest!


It's pretty much the same routine every morning - the ebb and flow of life on the farm.  Animals love routine.  I think it gives them a sense of security.  And so, we maintain the routine doing it in the same order each morning.  That way everyone knows what to expect.  The funny thing is - for us - it never gets old!

Comments

Kathy S said…
I also think I lack the gene for satiety sometimes! Routines can be very calm and soothing, especially in the morning….like reading BHA every morning!
Rena said…
Yes, I agree! 😀
Moggie said…
It never gets old for your readers, either! Especially love seeing Forrest and Pete, all the gang, really...it starts my day, and is part of my routine, too
This N That said…
What they said!
Have a great weekend. Hugs.
Marcia LaRue said…
Yes, most everything and everyone has a set routine they follow every day! You, as I have said before, are my first blog read of the day! The weekend is confusing because you're not there!LOL
Do have a wonderful weekend!
Lynne said…
Forrest and Pete . . .
True pals for sure!
Anonymous said…
That is one beautiful rooster! He should be a model!
And.....Forest is a remarkable character and somehow you won the adoption lottery with that one! Of course, you notice everything about your animals that other people might not even notice, so we see all his fun traits. Thanks for sharing
Bee Haven is one of my first go to's in the morning as well. I NEVER say or think "Oh that again." Being a country girl myself I can relate to your stories...it's almost like being there!
As for routine and our animal friends. Yes, to sure do thrive on routine. If I have to be away, my instructions for hubby or who ever are precise as the dogs and cat expect it to be. 😁💕
daisy g said…
I think I missed the gene for spontaneity, as I thrive on routine. Looks like you’re having some gorgeous weather! Relish it!
THE BEARDED ONE said…
AS USUAL...YOU DO SUCH A GREAT JOB MAKING OUR DAY...BACK 87 YEARS AGO...DADDY MILKED IN THE MORNING AND I WAS MILKED THE COW WHEN IN THE EVENING WHEN I WAS 3 YEARS OLD...WE ALSO RAISED HOGS AND BEEF TO BUTCHER...PLUS TWO MONSTER GARDENS..WE GAVE FOOD TO LOTS OF FOLKS...BELEIVE IT OR NOT ...I WAS HOEING THE GARDEN AT 3 YEARS OF AGE...PLUS BEING THE ONE WHO GOT STUCK UNDER THE T/P STICKS TO PICK UNDER THE BEAN ROWS...I WAS DREIVING A CUB TRACTOR (BY MY LONESOME AT 6 YEARS OF AGE)TURNING GROUND FOR THE CORN AND THEN DISCING IT...DADDY DID ALL OF THE PLANTING...WE PURCHASED AROUND 800 ACRES ON MILL CREEK AND I TURNED THE GROWUND FOR MORE CORN AND OATS FOR THE ANIMALS...FARM LIFE WAS FUN FOR ME...I DID THIESE THINGS UNTOL I WENT INTO THE ARMY...THEN DADDY SOLD THE LAND..I HAD A BROTHER ABOUT 2 YEARS YOUNGER BUT HE WAS NOT TRUST WORTHY ON THE TRACTOR...I LOVED THOSE DAYS AND WAS PROUD THAT DADDY TRUSTED ME TO DO THAT WORK AND DO IT SAFELY... FOR ME ..THOSE WERE SURE THE GOOD OLE DAYS...WE HAD DOGS AND CATS...THE CATS KEPT THE MICE UNDER CONTROL....YOUR ADVENTURES BRINGS MY MIND BACK TO THOSE DAYS...MY WIFE AND I BOUGHT HER OLE HOME PLACE AND WE GREW HAY AND I HAD HORSES..BUT...WE DO NONE OF THAT TODAY...MY WIFES NEPHEW AND HIS SON HAVE ANGUS CATTLE...SO THEY ARE NOW CUTTING THE HAY...WE JUST MOW AND TRY TO KEEP THE PLACE LOOKING GOOD W/OUR MOWERS...I STILL HAVE A TRACTOR...KUBOTA CAB AND AIR...YOU ARE SUCH A PRECIOUS LADY AND SURE MAKE DAYS GONE BY BRING GREAT MEMORIES BACK INTO MY 81 YEAR OLD MIND...HAVE A SUPER FINE WEEKEND...KEEP SMILING AND LOOKING FORWARD TO THE NEXT ADDITION ORF BEE HAVEN !!!! HAVE A SUPER FINE WEEKEND !!!!!!!!!!
I'm sure it's true that the routine never gets old at your place. How fun to see all those faces each day as they wait to be fed, petted and loved.