Pedicure, Anyone?

We had a visit from the farrier yesterday.
It takes about an hour and a half for all seven of our equines
 to have their feet trimmed.


All of the horses are always well behaved while we fuss over them.
I seize the opportunity to brush through manes and tails
while the farrier works on each foot.
As you can see, Sammie serves as assistant to the farrier...
responsible for clean up (tasty hoof trimmings!)

When finished, I gaze proudly on my cleaned-up herd of horses.
Everyone is spit shined and polished.
Of course it never lasts long....


After the horses are finished, it's time for the donkeys.
Last time the farrier came, I wasn't home and Hubbs had to help the farrier...
which isn't a problem until it's time to do the donkeys.
It seems that the only person for whom the donkeys truly cooperate...
is me.
Jack approached the donkeys that day with halter and lead rope in hand,
and they promptly said "No, thank you!"
And that was that.
Two naughty donkeys didn't get their feet trimmed.


Yesterday, however, when Chloe looked at the halter and thought about rebuffing
my advances,
I reminded her that I have the patience of Job,
and that if she wanted a peppermint treat she would have to acquiesce.


Meanwhile, I kept slipping peppermint treats to her sister Daphne, 
who had willingly stood quietly for halter placement.

Envy soon got the best of Chloe, and she came to me and stood still while
I placed her halter on her nose.
"Good girl!  Now you get a treat."


I tied her lead rope around a fence post, just in case she decided to protest against
the farrier.
Having her feet trimmed was no problem at all...
she stood perfectly still and lifted her feet one at a time
while the farrier rasped them back into shape.


I knelt down at the head of both donkeys and shared some snuzzles
while the farrier worked.


The horses were just on the other side of the fence... 


nosey as usual.



Moonbeam kept sticking his nose over the fence nibbling on my sleeve...
hoping for more treats.


I stuck my camera through the fence,
and I think he must have thought it was a treat, because... this....


Oh Moonie... you really need to brush more often!
And my camera needs a bath.


 "Say, what?"

As for Chloe... she was as good as gold once the halter was secured.
I guess it was just the thought of it that had her in a tizzy.

Perhaps today we will halter up again and go for a walk.
I'll let you know how that goes.

I am happy to say that my homegrown Pumpkin Buckle turned out
smashingly good!!


It's the perfect fall treat with a hot cup of tea... comfort food!
I'll get a recipe together in the coming days for you.

Here we are at the end of the week...
it's been a busy one here on the blog, with two posts each day.
Today's French Adventure will be the last.

Comments

Peppermints are a powerful motivator!
Dee J. Hartman said…
Interesting photos, especially the close up that required camera cleaning! LOL
This N That said…
Oh those donkeys...so spoiled..I guess they all are;)Your Pumpkin Buckle looks yummy..Like I said..Everyone is spoiled...Enjoy your weekend..Should be beautiful..xxoo