If They Can....


Then, so can we!
Seriously.
The most powerful force in the universe is simply...
love.


If two animals as different as these two
can co-exist with tolerance and acceptance...
then shouldn't we humans be able to do the same?

See?  I told you that animals have much to teach us!

We had a quiet weekend on the farm...
and I got my wish.
It poured on Saturday and quenched the thirst
of our parched, hard-as-concrete ground.


Then on Sunday, we received a few more brief drizzles.
And it looks like there is more in store for us this coming week.

The pouring rain could not have been much fun for these two vigilant nest-sitters.


And has made it impossible for me to pick that patty pan squash growing right next to her.


They have been sitting for a couple of weeks now.
I don't know exactly when they began their vigil...
but hatching should occur 28 days after they began.
We'll keep you posted!

By the way, this gal is sitting on at least 35 eggs!


Wowzers... that's potentially a lot of guinea hatchlings!

The cool that has accompanied this rainy weather has been a welcomed relief
for these two gals.


I used the rainy days to do some baking.
We are heading to the beach with our family at the end of this week,
so I have been preparing food and freezing it to take along.
I had an idea to make stuffed soft pretzel logs for a lunch.
I baked thirty of them...


with four types of stuffing:
ham and cheddar and mustard
turkey and swiss and mustard
pepperoni and mozzarella and sauce
and
Ham and mozzarella and pesto

I have to confess... I ate one.
I had to taste them... just to make sure they were worthy of sharing with my family.
They were.
Now I am considering eating them all myself!
Hah!
Actually, the rest are in the freezer awaiting vacation.

A fellow who helps us take down diseased trees saved me some hollow logs
from another job he had done.
We picked them up Saturday morning... all 17 of them... and they were very heavy oak.


It looks like next year's landscaping will have to include these.
Won't they look beautiful planted with those lush profusion zinnias?
Now I'll just have to figure out where to place them.

And yes, if you are looking closely at that photo, you will notice that the bunny
gate that I had constructed a couple of years ago is
firmly encased in a patch of weeds.
It didn't work out this year for tilling the pumpkin patch.
However, there's always next year!

I have plenty in the garden on which to focus this year, instead.
There's a bumper crop of eggplant this year.
Have you grown eggplant?
Every year when I plant it... it looks as though it is going to perish for the first month 
or more.
And then, one day, it just takes off and grows like crazy.


Last night I made chicken pomodoro with vodka cream sauce...
with fresh onions, tomatoes and basil from the garden.
I roasted fresh picked carrots and kohlrabi as well.
Oh, how we love eating from the garden each day.


It looks as if it's time to bring a few fresh bouquets into the house.


The zinnias have exploded!


Don't fresh flowers just fill your heart with joy?
May your heart be filled with love, as well!!


We have lots of it to share.
💗

Comments

daisy g said…
I am growing the Japanese eggplant this year. I never tire of eating it.

What a blessing to be able to fill your plates and bellies with home-grown food. I hope to improve as a gardener each year.

Your flowers are gorgeous! Rain makes all the difference.
The JR said…
We love eggplant. How do you cook yours?
Wow, that's a lot of eggs to be sitting.
Love the flowers. Glorious.
littlemancat said…
All the bounties of your garden! It demonstrates the love that surrounds it and created it. Flowers, veggies, and the companionship of the animals. I've heard of the Pussycat and the Owl, but not the Pussycat and the Pig. Love it!
Mary
I just have to tell you that your blog makes me smile. My fairies are packing their satchels and are on their way to visit you. They and their dragonfly transports should arrive sometime the end of this week. It takes them a little while to get there. They are stocked up on fairy dust to bring to you and your grands. They still like biscuits and jam for breakfast. I told them not to expect you to feed them but they say they enjoy your company over biscuits and tea. They will snack on berries the rest of the time and maybe a little basil and cherry tomatoes.
Kathy said…
Just a thank you from me for keeping your space here a place of love. It 's a beautiful and interesting place to come everyday and a welcome respite from the vitriolic speech found in other places. I'm going to give a try with those stuffed soft pretzels. They look delicious!
This N That said…
Bobby has that Maine coon brow..makes him look mad/evil..Your pretzels look yummy as I'm sure they are.
Your flowers are beautiful and abundant..Your logs look very heavy especially since they are Oak..Are the short ones too heavy as well?? Probably..My small one is very heavy..Lovely post today..Magnificent pictures..
Bee Haven Bev said…
Dearest Patsy.... please tell your fairies that we are looking forward to their return! We always enjoy their tales from your part of the country. As for biscuits and jam... there is always plenty to go around. We will set our tea party table in anticipation of their arrival. Thank you so very much for sharing them with us!!
Bee Haven Bev said…
Oh, Ratatouille is our favorite when eggplant season comes around. All of the rest of the ingredients can be found in the garden as well. Yummy!!!
Loved this post - our eggplant have suddenly decided they are going to thrive - were looking iffy for a long time this year. Weird!

Those stuffed pretzels?? YUM!!!! Do I dare eat them!? I still have 20 lbs to lose. Ugh.

Katmom said…
Luv all the wonderful happy colors in your garden.. We had a mere 128 bales of hay cut and baled & picked (now in the hay barn).. so it can rain.. don't have to worry about the hay.
Not as many bees as I was hoping,, but maybe next year.. when I have more lavender planted... Luv 'visiting' you on the farm... hugz
I love visiting your farm through your site, definitely makes me miss having chickens! Your flowers are lovely and I have zero luck with eggplant - something eats it every single year when I put it out. Sigh.
Lynne said…
Love your Zinnias . . .
Wow, the color pops!
I have no luck with seeds . . .
Not quite zero, but almost.
Not sure why.
More shade than sun doesn’t help but really . . .
I should have some results.

And I agree . . . if piggies, pups and kitties can love . . .
Why can’t we as humans make it happen . . .
Junebug said…
Just to let you know I never miss a day visiting you and all the tails. I have turned into a comment slacker! But all these years you are still my bright spot and carry me off to my dream world. Thank you, your faithful follower. Blessing!
travel is fun said…
Always verify the truth before taking any legal actions. Hope this problem is already fixed.
http://demenpoker.com/