Quiet Moments

We arose to this fiery sunrise Saturday morning...
the harbinger of a predicted day of miserableness to follow.


The fiery embers cast a glow of pink


 in a 360 degree circle on the horizon.


With a 2 hour window before the predicted winds and rain,
we took the dogs for a woodsy hike and grabbed the camera cards from our 
game cameras.


Deer, raccoons and foxes had made an appearance over the past week... no bears.
Perhaps they have already hunkered down for their long winter's nap!

We decided that with no scheduled plans for the weekend,
we would do no work but the required animal chores.

Let me tell you... it was heavenly!


I worked on this knitting project in front of the fire...


surrounded by my friends and constant companions.


(You'll notice that every available seat, besides my own, was taken up by a dog!)


Right now we have an extra friend... black Sammy is here for a few days.
He's a regular visitor and quite happy to be here on the farm.
He follows me around like a shadow!


I did a little Thanksgiving baking... decorated shortbread cookies.
I can hardly wait to do the same for Christmas... lots of ideas are percolating!


Sunday was more of the same...


everyone hunkering down in the warmth to keep out of the wind.


I taught Hubbs to bake bread, and he baked two cinnamon raisin loafs...
a delicious recipe from this book.


This is a book I would highly recommend for anyone interested in learning to bake
a variety of types of bread.


It isn't often that we have a weekend with no scheduled activities...
it was definitely a luxury and a great reminder of just how much I love my home, our companions,
and all of the little moments that make up any given day.


And don't you think it was a great idea to paint our barn to match our guineas?


Those guineas, I must add, have been very good about finding their way back to their 
home by the end of each afternoon!


Birdbrain U. was a success!!

Comments

Dawn said…
There is nothing better than some time to relax and enjoy, the cookies look fab great colours and the bread yum.
Louise Stopford said…
Isn't it lovely to have time to just be at home and enjoy your surroundings? My favourite kind of weekend is to have no plans - just doing my own thing and pottering around at home - lovely!! Glad those guineas are getting themselves home and keeping safe. Lovely photo of Ivy - she's a beautiful girl.
Lynne said…
Sounds like, looks like a perfectly wonderful relaxing weekend!
We need to carve those moments into our life . . .
Happy Thanksgiving!
daisy g said…
What a wonderful gift to yourselves. The bread and cookies look marvelous. Hope you have a superb week!
I misread your text and thought you had written that you painted your barn to match your GUINNESS, lol. But actually, it does!
Unknown said…
Glad you had a relatively quiet weekend. That's a beautiful item you are knitting...yum....can't wait to see it. I too stayed home and crafted, made cards and did a little crocheting...just that kind of weekend before the bustle of Thanksgiving. Cheers.
Anonymous said…
"Red sky at morning ... sailors' warning."
This N That said…
It was a good weekend to be hunkered down..It's always nice to have some quiet time.. could use some right now..Ivy wants to know why you are sitting still...Glad the Guineas have it figured out..Jack's bread looks wonderful..Hot bread and butter...Yummmmm
Anonymous said…
I would love to have all the available seats in my living room filled with friends like yours!! I truly would,, there was a time when it was that way but now I must come here to get my critter fix,, what a great visit today, thank you for sharing your beautiful world.