It's Getting Colder!

Another day is born as the sun rises through a filmy mist.  

Clear skies made for the coldest morning air that we've had in months.  39 degrees and falling through the rest of this week's nights. 

In the garden, the leaves are covered with dew - but it looks more and more like light frost. 

That means it's time to harvest tender fresh herbs and bundle them to dry indoors for winter use.  Having fresh kitchen herbs in the garden is not only a luxury, but for me, a necessity.  Dried herbs are the next best thing in a climate where these plants are just a little too tender to over-winter.  The good thing is...although they will lose their leaves in the coming weeks,  they will emerge again next spring for another summer's growth (except the rosemary - sadly, we are just a little too cold for that to live through winter.  If we were further south, we could grow rosemary into huge shrubs, which, in my opinion would be heavenly, as this is my favorite herb!)

The saffron crocuses are blooming - right on schedule -

so I have also harvested their stigmas and am drying them for culinary use.

The remaining summer herbs now hang, bundled, in front of my kitchen window.  You would not believe the incredible aroma they release as they hang there, suspended there on the beginning of their journey from fresh-picked to dried.  (If you are wondering about the snake plants on my windowsill - they started from a tiny cutting years ago.  I now have snake plants coming out my ears... and I have even given some away.  They multiply like crazy!!  Luckily, they are one plant that does a great job of cleaning up the air inside your home.)

 Some of the hanging herbs will be used for culinary use, some for soap and salve-making, and some for tea.  Hanging from left to right are sage, rosemary, oregano and thyme, parsley, and lemon balm.

In the basement larder, I have jars of dried calendula, dried chamomile, dried yarrow, and dried rosemary (harvested this summer) which will all be used for apothecary items.

The soap that I made weeks ago is ready to package.  The bars have hardened and the scents have mellowed.  I am very happy with all the different types.

I've noticed recently, that our second rooster, Bruce, has come of age.  Like his older counterpart, Goose, 

he awakens with one thing in mind....

The hens are still able to get away from him - which is good, as they don't seem terribly interested in his shenanigans.  This gal became airborne in order to rebuff his affections.

I did notice, the other morning, that Goose was not too keen on another rooster bothering his hens.  Hopefully these fellows come to a peaceful understanding in the coming days.  There's nothing worse than fighting roosters!

With a perfect blue sky, things warmed up a bit by late morning, and I took the opportunity to plant a few bulbs for next year.  Because Maven Haven is now purple, I am going to gradually transition her garden to one of purples and oranges.

Yesterday's bulbs included two sizes of purple alliums and purple crocus... half of each on either side of the trellis.

Comments