Thoughts on Slow Living

Good morning Friend.

I am sitting on our front deck listening to the gentle sound of rain - watching the birds as they flit to and from the bird feeders, as the dogs lie at my feet while I type some thoughts.  This is a moment of bliss - pure, simple, experiential.


Most of the weekend was similar - quiet and slow, filled with observations of life around me as it happens from moment to moment.

There's been a progressive change happening across the land with the arrival of Autumn.  

Blackbirds and starlings have begun flocking - filling the sky with grand murmurations of mathematically precise flight - a wondrous thing to behold - thousands of birds flying in close formation, moving as though they share a single mind.  It's just another of the tiny miracles that happen as we go about our busy lives.

Living in the woods gives us the opportunity to observe these great flocks as they light upon the forest canopy, stopping to preen and rest... their chatter nearly deafening.

Amazingly, there are still a couple of hummingbirds frequenting our nectar feeders.  Typically, in the past, they were always gone by mid-September.   What do they know that we don't - and how do they know it?  I've often wondered if there isn't a world-wide web of communication for plants and animals of which we are unaware?  Is there a message hidden in the cricket's song?  Or do the trees give off a vibratory message?  Does Mother Nature, herself, speak in a tone beyond our ears' frequency... 

"It is time, dear ones, it is time."


Wild ducks have returned to the pond - giving our two pond ducks companionship from sun-up to sun-down - providing all the local pond gossip.  A very large bowl of duck feed is there for all to enjoy.

Though it's hard to tell mallards apart, it's comforting to see some of the same atypical ducks that visit year after year.

This leucistic mallard is a happy sight. The rarity of this characteristic (similar to albinism)  assures me that it's the same duck that visited last year.

I had the pleasure of seeing two owls in the past couple of days.  While closing up one evening, an owl swooped in front of the gator as I rode between the garden fence and the woods.  Luckily, I had a head lamp on and was able to shine my light to see it perched on a limb in the woods.  It was a lovely little screech owl.  Sadly, I did not have my camera with me - so you will have to take me at my word.  

For weeks now, we have been hearing the nighttime shrieking of a barn owl (sometimes two).  We are guessing it is mating time.  Saturday night I followed the shrieks until I located the source in the trees over the pond.  I shone my light towards the sound and caught a glimpse of him flying towards a different tree - far from my prying eyes.  There is probably no chance of me catching this guy's photo, either.  If only these beautiful raptors were out during the daylight hours!

Thank you for the lovely comments and emails regarding my last two posts.  Though I love to write and share - I do enjoy a two-sided conversation!   We need not always see eye to eye - but it is a thing of beauty when like-minds connect.  

 One comment mentioned "slow living" - and that is something I could talk about at length.  I believe that there are as many meanings to this phrase as there are people.  For me, it has less to do with physically slowing down and more to do with slowing my mind.   The following comments apply only to myself - for each of us must find that which resonates with our own souls.

For me, slow living has everything to do with being mindful, being present in my own life, and being purposeful in the focus of my attention... especially focussed on how I spend my time (both mentally and physically.) 

For me, immersion in nature encourages mindfulness.  While I am walking and observing, my mind is fully engaged in what I am seeing and hearing and smelling and feeling on my skin.  Free from thoughts of past or future, there is only this present moment.  This is where my happiness resides... in these moments of the here and now.  As we walk - observing and discovering - we try to learn as much as we can about what we are witnessing.  For me, the more I know about the world that surrounds me, the more miraculous life becomes, and the more I find my heart filled with love for it. 

I am grateful, beyond measure, that I have had the opportunity to live this close to nature.  It was not always so, and may not always be so.   Life comes with no guarantees - except one... change is certain.  Our challenge lies in achieving mindfulness no matter the setting, no matter the circumstance... in other words, finding a peaceful place within that allows the present moment to just exist without judgement.  These moments foster gratitude.  For no matter our sorrows, there are always moments of joy to be found.

Enjoying the last of Summer's gifts

I have many other ideas and personal reflections regarding mindful, slow living, but will only expound if you are interested in that type of content.  

Our only outing this weekend was a trip to a local butcher shop for some smoked dog bones (Forrest loves them!)   On our way we passed a local pumpkin farm.   I just love to see their pumpkin wagons filled up like this!

I thought you might also enjoy this photo...

An Amish buggy complete with bike rack!

For my fellow knitters:  I can finally share my current project.  (The last five were Christmas gifts - which I will share after that holiday)

Lastly, a request for some books about nature....  I enjoyed each of these.... (I have a few more on my to-read list)

Non-fiction:




Fiction, long, but good...


I am currently enjoying this book - one that should be savored slowly, a little each day.  Each page makes one reflect:


Today we say goodbye to September  - see you in October!!

Comments