Just Peachy!

Good morning.  It's not too early here, and yet, the barn kitties are not out of bed...

"Summer is for sleeping in!" they've declared.

The rest of us were up with the birds... literally!

Summer will soon begin to wind down, I believe.  I've noticed a difference in the morning light - have you?

 Blueberry season is all but over - but, peach season has arrived.  Delicious, ripe, organic peaches!!

Yesterday morning we picked a bunch of peaches.  Although the ones picture below are still waiting to soften,

the rest of the ones we picked were quickly turned into this:

Homemade peach pie with an all-butter crust.  And here's a little secret to really give your peaches some zing:  grate a teaspoon of fresh ginger in with your chunked peaches!  I used ⅔ cup sugar, ½ cup flour, juice from ½ lemon, 1 tsp cinnamon, and 1 tsp fresh ginger.  

Homemade peach pie with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream....Mmmm -mmmm!

Our pear tree is loaded with pears this year, as are our apple trees.  Looks like we'll be having lots of pie this year.

I've noticed that our fig bushes are loaded with tiny fig babies.

It looks like this year will be a good year for figs.  Some years, the fruit doesn't appear until autumn.  This year, we will have enough to make fig bars and fig jam.

I am worried, however, about our sweet potatoes.  It seems that over the past week, some bunny decided to nibble the vines down to twig - no leaves are left.


That's the thing with gardening... we learn to take the losses in stride and revel in the wins!  Sweet potatoes may be a loss this year.  Believe it or not, I still have a handful of last summer's sweet potatoes in my pantry!

Comments

daisy g said…
So impressive! How in the world do you grow peaches without spraying? I had given up on ever growing fruit because I have been told over and over that you can't grow here without spraying. And I dead flat refuse. Secrets?

We will welcome autumn whenever She decides to make her entrance!
jaz@octoberfarm said…
since i get up at 4:00 am each day, i definitely notice that it is remaining dark longer. i can't wait for fall. this has been such a hot, dry summer.
I am looking forward to fall but will savor each summer day we have left.
Your peaches look wonderful as do the pears and figs! I love figs but I have never had fig jam. Will have to see if I can find that somewhere. Do you ever make dried figs? Getting ready to head to PA for a quick family gathering this weekend.
Enjoy your weekend!
This N That said…
So glad you got some more rain. Missed us again your peaches look wonderful probably one of my favorite fruits. Unfortunately I don’t have access to organic ones. Sometimes I peel them ..sometimes I eat the skin.
Your pie looks yummy.
Sorry about your sweet potatoes. I’m sure they will be missed.
Enjoy your vacation!Xxoo
Marcia LaRue said…
Your peach 🍑 pie had me drooling before breakfast! Will you try canning peaches, pears🍐, and figs? Jams, spiced, in light syrup ... you know, in your spare time! LOL
Anonymous said…
Hi! I was wondering if at some point you would tell us what you do for your fig trees so they make it through
the winter? I am in zone 5b NY, & have my first Chicago Fig in a pot.
Hoping it will survive the cold...
Thanks so much!!
Your fruits are so plentiful and delicious looking. Can't get over those beautiful peaches and your delicious looking pie. Seems like everything is growing wonderfully there, except maybe your sweet potatoes. Love visiting your farm!
THE BEARDED ONE said…
YOU FOLKS ARE TRULY AMAZING...GREAT PICS..SEND ME A PIECE OF THE PEACH PIE...BIG SMILE...ENJOY YOUR TIME W/THE KIDDO'S... THEY SURE GROW UP FAST...ENJOY YOUR WEEK !!!!!!