More Morning Minutiae

It's another beautiful morning, here on the farm!  Finally, days of sunshine have arrived.  Although I cannot begrudge an occasional rain shower - the gardens need it, and it relieves some of the necessary work of watering! 

Our morning begins with the changing of the guard.  Ginger heads into the dry lot looking for her breakfast, as the donkeys head out into the foggy lower pasture for theirs. 

 

Meanwhile, the horses are above in the sunny upper pasture, happily munching away.


I love these peaceful mornings - birdsong, cool breezes, happy animals.  I couldn't ask for anything more!


We are in the midst of shedding season.  When all of the equines are back in the dry lot ( a little later in the morning), I work in brushing them and removing as much of their excess hair as possible.


The donkeys use my legs as scratching posts!


This tool helps remove a ton of unwanted winter hair.


While I am busy with the donkeys, Forrest tries to engage Red in a little play.


"Go away, annoying canine!"


It only takes a few minutes to get quite an accumulation of fur.


This guy, however, lost his winter coat a few weeks ago.  He enjoys the attention, though, so I give him a 
once-over with a brush.


While walking alongside the woods in front of our house, I was so happy to find wild Columbine blooming there.  I've got to say, the wildflowers this spring are amazing!



Comments

daisy g said…
So glad you are getting a break from the rain. No complaints here, either. I haven't had to water in weeks!

Do you offer the hair to the birds for nesting material? I can imagine they would readily use it.

I've grown columbine for the first time this year, and I must say, it is a spectacular plant! I think I need to move ours nearer the woodland garden.

Have a stellar day!
I'm sure the horses feel much better after a good brushing. Curious what you do with the hair that accumulates in the bucket. Forrest just looking for a playmate.
Beautiful Wildflowers! Have a joy filled day!
Ann said…
I hope you enjoy the beauty of the day, even if you can't be as active as normal. Can you say more about the tool you use to help remove the horses winter coat? I'd be glad to use it for my three goats.
Thank you.
Ann
Karen said…
Hope you heal fast Bev! When you still feel 17 . . . *I do - and I'm 70 (even typing that seems silly to me:) So having pesky things like weird eye things and knee replacement (me - if I can ever get it done) are still strange. Enjoy the day! xoxoxoKaren
I'm glad you got some on the spot attention for your eye. I had vitreous detachment in January and the reason I noticed something was wrong was sudden big floaters (which have mostly disappeared from my vision) and lightning! Mine resolved by itself. No tears but was also told it is a sign of aging! Gee thanks!!! 😂
Spring is a glorious season! A time for shedding old coats, sporting new coats and flowers and green everything everywhere!
Though I am physically unable to walk the fields and woods like I used to and soak up the serenity and beauty, I can with you. ❤️
Thanks for sharing!
Jeannie said…
So sorry to hear about your eye, but it was nice you could have it mended so easily.
This N That said…
Old is relative. You're not.... Not to me anyway... Sorry about your tears.. Glad they were small and easily taken care of. I hope they are behind you.
I'm sure you are enjoying this sunshine. It's getting a little warm too quickly for me. I guess it's going to be a hot summer. Probably the way it's going to be in the future. Enjoy!
THE BEARDED ONE said…
SO VERY SORRY THAT YOU ARE HAVING EYE PROBLEMS...I AM AS WELL AND IT IS NO FUN...I AM ALSO HAVING HEART ISSUES...BUT AT 81 I GUESS THAT IS TO BE EXPECTED...LOVE THE POST AND SURE HOPE YOU HEAL FAST...YOUR PICS AND COMMENTS ARRE ALWAYS UP LIFTING AND INTERESTING !!! THANK YOU DEAR LADY !!!!!!! KEEP SMILING !!!
Always love your posts, Bev. I'm also sorry to hear about your eye...but I only heard about it from folks posting here. When did you mention having eye problems? I must have missed that somewhere. Sure hope you'll be feeling better soon. Glad you're getting some sunshine!