Some Like it Hot, Some Like it Cold!

Suddenly (way too suddenly) we have reached fly season.  Once again, the fans are running at the barn... helping to keep flies off the equines.  

It's also shedding season.  Moonie has shed his winter fur quickly, but Red seems to hold on to his.  So, yesterday, I spent about a half hour brushing and stripping old hair from Red's coat.  The amazing thing is... you can't tell that I did anything.  Eventually he will shed it all out, but it sure takes a while!

Yesterday, during afternoon snack time, I sat at the edge of the barn enjoying the peace of the moment and soaking up the feeling of warmth without a jacket.  Daphne stopped eating and came over to visit.

Not far behind, Chloe joined in as well.

You see... that is the difference between my horses and my donkeys.  Nothing I could do would entice my horses away from their snack.  My presence is enough to stop the donkeys from eating.

  They'd rather snuggle than eat!  Perhaps I need to use this tactic to help dear Daphne lose a little weight.  She's a bit broad in the belly!

As I was canoodling with the donkeys, of course Pete and Forrest were having their own moment.

Eventually, I had a cat in my lap as well.

We are so close... just on the cusp of planting season for tender plants.  All of the seeds that I planted in the greenhouse are getting large.  This year, I am going to not jump-start the process.  Every year that I have felt safe to put things in the ground, we get a late frost.  So, this year... I am waiting!

Hubbs, wise man that he is, is helping me wait - actually preventing me from finishing up the planting...by taking me away from the farm.  We are spending the next several days adventuring through Utah and Colorado - visiting a few National Parks.  Getting me out of the state is the best way to make sure I am not planting things before their time!!  Our itinerary includes Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon, Capital Reef National Park, Arches National Park, Mesa Verde National Park, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and Great Sand Dunes National Park.  We will be spending a couple days with our Colorado kids while we are there.  I am taking my laptop with plans of blogging along the way (hopefully, we have internet reception).  If you don't receive an email with the day's blog, you can just " Google" Bee Haven Acres and you will find it at the top of the list.  Also, I will probably upload photos to Instagram @beehavenacres and Facebook @beehavenacres.  Also.... if you have any suggestions of things to not miss in any of the parks... please share!!

It has become apparent that Forrest is not a hot weather dog.  He spent the better part of yesterday indoors.  When he was out with me for chores, he sought out the shade.


It's going to be a long summer for this cold-loving fellow.  I foresee lots of swimming in the months to come!


The farm will be well cared for in our absence... we never kennel the dogs, but instead always have farm sitters.  Life will go on as usual... just, without us.

Comments

daisy g said…
Safe travels. Sounds like a fun trip.

Look at all of those zinnias! And so much more.
Jeannie said…
Enjoy your trip. My brother just returned from a trip that included Monument Valley in Arizona. https://navajonationparks.org/navajo-tribal-parks/monument-valley/ It was one of his favorite parts of the trip. They took an unplanned horseback ride with Navajo guides toward the end of the day. Spectacular!
Have a wonderful time!
I just love the connections we have with animals ❤️
Wow! I am envious! Your trip sounds glorious for sure! The kind of sights I would like to see. Planting time here in NY and covering for frost at the ending of harvest time is gauged with the full moon. Often a full moon and a clear sky drop the temps to freezing in May, June and September on...This year the dates to watch are the 23rd of May and 21st of June. It may work out just fine... Anyway, have a lovely time!!
Marcia LaRue said…
When I was doing road trips from California to Colorado, I did the Canyonland trek in Utah ... It is so awe-inspiring! I believe you and Jack will love the drive through the Canyons!
We are looking at fabulous weather this week in S. Colorado ... so, I hope that holds for the Northern part, too!.
Your garden will be more then ready to be planted by the time you get back to the Farm! Drive safe!
THE BEARDED ONE said…
I SURE LOVE THESE...YO MAKE EVERYTHING SOOOOOO VERY INTERERSTING...EMJOY YOUR TIME OFF...LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR PARK PICS AND COMMENTS...BE CAREFUL AND COME HOM IN ONE PIECE...ENJOY..KEEP SMILNG !!!!!!!!!
Joleen said…
Hi Bev, I'm excited you're coming to visit my state of Utah.
You will see many inspiring sites. Enjoy the stars in the dark sky and experience the big moonrise over the landscape, and, of course, hiking the amazing red and orange landscapes. Safe travels.
Anonymous said…
I will miss the daily farm content, but excited to read your blog on the national parks!! Have a great time
This N That said…
It's so nice that you are never alone and surrounded by love!!
I'm with Forrest...not a fan of warm!!!
I just heard on the news/weather that we are three weeks ahead of the normal. You could probably plant your plants now. I understand you're not wanting to take a chance.
Your trip sounds wonderful. I have not been to any of those places .I'm anxious to see your pictures...
Have a great time...Enjoy the reds!!!
Have a wonderful trip. Hope we get to see what you're doing as you travel along. Should be spectacular! Enjoy!