Afternoons

As leaves emerge on the hillside, a wash of fuchsia appears in the forefront.  The Eastern redbud trees bloom as the sun rises higher in the sky each day... lengthening the hours of light.  


We've arrived at the point in spring when winter becomes a memory.  Our days are energized by the unstoppable unfolding of life. 


When chores are finished, these warm spring afternoons are perfect for communing with nature.


On our way through the farm, we drop off some treats for the chickens.  They all come running - conditioned to the daily delivery of afternoon treats.


 We then head to the woods with the dogs for a walk.


The forest floor,  for months covered in the decaying leaves from last year, is quickly turning green with unfurling fern fronds.


Soon, with buds being replaced by leaves, it will be impossible to see through the thick growth of plants covering every inch of the woods.

After our walk, we stop by the barn to visit the horses and donkeys.  Forrest visits with Pete.


He maintains a safe distance from Daphne who dares him to come a little closer for a game of "stomp the puppy".  Forrest knows better.


Annie...


and Chester (who is ready for a nap!) wait patiently... 


while Jack shares a moment with Daphne. 


Our walk over, we head back to the house for dinner preparations.  A brief storm passes through and dumps a good amount of rain in a short while.   Watching from the kitchen window, I notice the sun coming out while the rain continues.  I had a feeling that if I went outside and looked opposite the sun, I just might see.... this!!


Earlier in the day, I thought perhaps I should water the garden.  Thankfully, Nature took care of that for me!  

PS:  To answer a question posed yesterday:  Though I've not spied any yet this year, I do know that one must only eat morel mushrooms that are cooked.   I actually enjoy just finding them.  We typically only eat them once a year - usually baked in a quiche.  I do not take foraging for mushrooms lightly and always do my research.  It's not worth taking a chance on one's life - eating a potentially poisonous mushroom!  I have a fascination for fungi, but am happy to just photograph them, for the most part!

Comments

THE BEARDED ONE said…
AS USUAL...YOU FILL US UP W/WONDERFUL THOUGHTS FROM NATURE AS WELL AS YOUR DAILY ACTIVITIES...YOU ARE SUCH A KNOWLEDGEABLE LADY...SO INTERESTING..SO INTELLIGENT...THANK YOU AGAIN AND AGAIN FOR THE PICS AND YOUR GREAT BRILANCE... I PROBABLY MISPELLED THAT WORD...I AM SURE NOT A DICTIONARY...HAVE A SUPER FINE DAY AND THANK YOU AGAIN AND AAIN FOR MAKING OUR DAY...KEEP SMILNG AND HELLO TO THAT SUPER TALENTED WOOD WORKSMAN AND HARD WORKER...KEEP SMILING AND HAVE A SUPER FINE DAY !!!!
Marcia LaRue said…
Another wonderful stroll around the farm and in the woods!
Did you notice that Pete photo bombed your picture of Chester?
You have shown us all such a variety of fungi, I figured you knew about the morels, but thought I'd ask anyway! Thank you!!!
This N That said…
Love the red buds this time of year..just beautiful...
Lovely rainbow....We had one briefly yesterday..
Thanks for taking us along on your walk xxoo