Progress

 I've been accused (teasing) from time to time (by my daughter) of being a blue-sky, rainbow kind of gal.  I'll admit, I am an optimist.  I choose to see the world this way.  I wholeheartedly feel that it's our own mindset that determines what kind of world we inhabit... not the other way around.  One would never know the sweet, mouth-puckering taste of fresh lemonade if one were never handed a bag of lemons from time to time.  

Although moving in certain directions might be painful... I choose to embrace that pain as yet another reminder that I am [very much] alive.  And being alive on this particular day is something to celebrate!  Thank you for the care and concern... but truly, each day brings much improved mobility.

In my youth, I owned a book entitled Notes To Myself  by the American self-help counselor/70's spiritual guru, Hugh Prather.  It is a collection of the author's thoughts on life, and it played a role in shaping my own outlook on life.  In it is a quote that has always stuck with me.  It reminds me to face life's speed bumps as just what they are - not good, not bad, just there to be navigated.

He writes:

"The comment ‘you’re lucky; it could have been worse’, is the kind of helpfulness I can do without. It also could have been better, or actually, it couldn’t have been any other way than the way it was. "


It's funny how a line from a book can stick with you for so many years, helping to frame the way you see life.

I have greatly enjoyed having the time to sit and read and embroider and generally putz around inside my house these past couple of days.  I have also tried a couple new sourdough recipes (I'll share more after baking them today).  However, Spring is happening everywhere here... so I just had to spend some time outside, as well!


 Yesterday afternoon, as the mercury climbed to 70 degrees, I heard this call from my gardens, "Come.  Come.  Come see what is happening!"  As I stepped out my front door, I was greeted by the sweet  "Bubb-zink" song of the brown headed cowbird from high atop the evergreen tree in the front yard.  Yet another sign of spring.

I was drawn to the greenhouse like a bee to nectar.  I couldn't resist the temptation to fill some pots with potting soil and tuck some tiny seeds inside.  Now, entering the greenhouse, I can smell the moist soil, and the warm, humid air - and the promise of life to come.  It's this time of year that the greenhouse becomes a sanctuary of growth, anticipation, and hope as we watch this tangible cycle of life unfolding before our eyes.

As tender shoots emerge from the soil, each tiny green sprout holds the potential for a bountiful harvest.  Gently tending to these delicate beginnings feels like nurturing a secret, precious treasure.  How glorious it will be, this summer, to watch them become all that they are meant to be after being carefully transplanted into the gardens.  

The trays shown above are all flowers - zinnias, hyacinth bean vines, moon flowers, agastache, calendula, Johnny jump-ups, and deep blue asters.  What a feast of color they will be!  I still have some vegetable seeds to start as well... and cold weather vegetable seeds to direct sew in my garden boxes.  And yes, I'll take it slowly.... slow and steady wins the race, right?

Have a beautiful day!

Comments

Karla said…
I have loved Hugh Prather for many years, and treasure that book as well. I, too, believe that we make our lives, our lives don't just happen to us. I didn't always believe that way, it took help from a competent counselor. I use a blend of realism plus optimism, and it works well for me. Must admit, the thought of falling can make me fear-filled. I fell a few years ago, and broke one ankle and sprained the other one! Rather than staying fearful, this same counselor said I just needed to slow down and be more mindful, which just means be where I am rather than where I am looking to go. I continue doing my balance and mobility drills at the gym, so that I can age well.
A beautiful post! I so love seeing your email on my inbox. Love to come and see what you are up to on the farm.
Quick question, are the things plugged into the outlets in your greenhouse some type of mat to keep the plants warm?
Enjoy your day and make it a good one!
THE BEARDED ONE said…
ONEE THING IS FOR SURE...YOU ARE NOT A SITTER...YOU ARE A GOER AND A DOER...YOU ARE SUCH A GREAT INSPIRATION...YOU DO NOT LET A FALL STOP YOU...IT MIGHT SLOW YOU DOWN BUT YOU KEEP GOING..SLOW MAYBE BUT YOU ARE UP AND BEING PRODUCTIVE... I AM 81 W/SOME HEART ISSUES AND MY WIFE WANTS ME TO SIT AND VIRTUALLY DO NOTHING...THAT IS NOT ME AND HAS NEVER BEEN...NO MATTER WAHT I GOTTA BE GOING...LIFE IS A JOURNEY AND LIFE TRULY STOPS IF ONE STOPS AND JUST SITS AND SOES NOTHING...I GOTTA BE DOING....THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR LIFE W/US...SURE HOPE YOU HEAL RAPIDLY...I GOTTA FEELING THAT YOU WILL...HELLO TO MY HUBBS AND KEEP SMILNG !!!
Wanda Devers said…
I'm glad you are feeling better! Your Hubbs is a good man to have around! Here in TN we are still having a few days of spring and a few days of late winter but spring seems to be winning. Today will be low seventies which is my perfect temperature. I am trying regrowing onions as they sprout and they are just zooming. I have a grow bag to try for some potatoes and would love to put some lettuce in a hanging pot. I'm hoping for a better gardening season with better balance and joints but may be restricted to a back porch garden. I'll declare it never rains but it pours--I being told I need bunion surgery and unfortunately watched a lady on you tube who screamed all night after her surgery! Mama loved gardening and when she became unable to have a big one, I planted some squash, cucumbers, and tomatoes in her flower beds around her house. This is one of my best memories--she had enough fresh stuff to eat and was so happy to pick her veggies. I certainly have rambled today Take care and don't overdo!
This N That said…
It looks as though you have a good head start on your garden.
Glad you are on the mend and feeling better.
Gardening definitely has a special smell. I hope you are enjoying this beautiful day. Hugs
Leslye said…
I'm really glad you wrote the quote from HughN Prather's book because it really got me thinking. I'm one of those people who say "it could have been worse" and now that I think of it why do I say that when it wasnt. It changed my thought process.
So nice to see you've got things planted in your greenhouse. I can smell that great greenhouse smell from her! Love your snowdrops in opening picture!
colleen said…
Thanks for the update. I knew you'd be making the best of it.... can't keep you down. Take care and keep doing what you are able to do to make you happy and whole. xoxoxox