I'm Taking It Up a Notch!

I've got to tell you... my sourdough baking has been a journey.  I have learned so very much about this process in the past three years.  

Because learning new skills is important to me, I have decided to take the next step in bread making - by milling my own flours.  "What?"  you say.  "Are you crazy?"

Well, that may very well be the case - but then, aren't we all just a little crazy?   Regardless,  I have ordered an electric grain mill that will allow me to make my very own stone-ground flour.  It arrives today and I can hardly wait!


"Why would you want to do that?" you ask.  Why not!!  Actually, I am doing it for many reasons.  First of all - the wheat seed (known as a wheat berry) is what is ground to make flour.   As soon as the seed is cracked, the endosperm (inside part of the seed) is exposed to the air and the grain begins to oxidize.  As the grain oxidizes, it loses its nutrients.  This is why the flours that we buy today are called "enriched"... because through the milling process, the nutrients begin to degrade, and so our industrialized food machine does what it always does... adds vitamins back in.  Another casualty of oxidation is flavor (something that cannot be added back in).  So, by milling my own wheat, I get to bake with the very freshest flours packed with all of the vital nutrients and flavor that the wheat contains.

"Wow!  How much time is that going to take?" you may ask.  And I would tell you... just a few extra minutes.  I will simply grind whatever wheat I need at the time that I need it.  The beauty of this is - you can buy organic wheat berries in bulk.  Its shelf life is, literally, years.  Through a process of grinding and sifting the flour through a fine mesh, I can also make my own all-purpose flour.

I had heard of a company (Azure Standard) that ships organic whole grains to drop points all around the country.  A little investigating showed that there is a drop point in one of our nearby towns.  So, I will be receiving my first 25 pound sack of wheat berries in about two weeks' time.  I also ordered some rye as well.

Hubbs is listening to a new book by Michael Pollan (author of the Ominivore's Dilemma and one of our favorite non-fiction authors) called "Cooked".  

Several chapters explore the process of bread baking  - from it roots, through commercialization and more.  He shared these specific chapters with me and, as a result, we are both excited to begin this home-milled grains journey.  We'll keep you updated as we begin this process!

As you read this blog post, we may be getting a winter storm.  As I write this, amounts and type of precipitation are still up in the air.  As warm as the ground has been lately, I cannot imagine that much snow will accumulate - but, then again, one never knows until it happens!

Yesterday was definitely the calm before the storm!

Perhaps this is why February and March seem to last forever.  Things warm up, then it gets cold again.  Then it snows... melts... and the whole cycle starts up again.  It's these two last months that make Spring's arrival such a joyous time!

Some of us are hibernating... napping or sleeping until Spring arrives. 

 I am pretty sure there was no lump when I made this bed....

See?   Hibernating cat!  And by the look on her face, she doesn't appreciate being bothered.

Lastly, I wanted to show you what I spent my weekend working on... another embroidery project... adding new life to old shirts!



Comments

It’s like milk. The dairies kill the nutrients in milk to pasteurize it and then add them all back in artificially. Sorry, I’m a supporter of raw milk.

Lisa
Spring Peeper Farm
daisy g said…
How exciting! No doubt this will add another boost of quality to your baking. We have an Azure drop off about 30 minutes away, but I haven’t yet taken the plunge. Hopefully, you will find many bulk items that you can use. The bonus is that much of the packaging is zero waste.

The embroidery looks fabulous!
You will never regret milling your own wheat berries. I've been doing it for years. Still have my original mill that I bought and still going strong for the past 34 years!
There is nothing better than your own homemade plus I don't separate out the wheat germ. So good for you!

We were forecast for snow but didn't get nary a flake. That doesn't mean it's not cold and we may still get it even onto April. I do look forward to springtime and all it's beauty but I love wintertime too.
I'm sure the animals might not prefer it but I try to enjoy what comes with every season.
What a beautiful way to dress up a shirt!
The shirt is lovely!!I love the colors, the design and especially giving life back to what is more than likely a comfy shirt.

I haven't taken the sour dough plunge yet. I keep thinking about it but just can't wrap my head around all the attention it seems to need. I am very interested in seeing how the milling of your own flour goes. It also intrigues me.

For decades I made all our bread, 10 loaves at a time! 10 lbs. of flour, a handful of shortening and salt, cup of sugar, water and yeast. My Grandpa taught me as a little girl. I still have his enamel bread pan to mix it in by hand and raise it in. Also his old bread tins to bake them.

I got sick when Covid hit and it hampered a lot of things I used to do and long to do again. Maybe....maybe. 🙂

Anyway, you inspire me. Thanks!
Grandma Zee said…
You will love your whole wheat flour, I used to grind my own and I always keep some wheat on hand. You are inspiring me, I think I will get out my mill and start grinding some. And yes wheat can last 25 years and longer if stored correctly. With the unease in the world, not a bad idea to have some on hand. I follow a blog, Little house living and she orders lots of stuff from Azure. Here in Utah, I have several sources close by for whole grains. I also dug out my old cookbook " Simply Sourdough", The Alaska Way, I was raised in Alaska.
Thanks to your blogs on sourdough, I am going to get some starter going. I am with you, can't wait for spring. I only have a small patio with flower beds and raised boxes, but have some ideas for increasing my garden stuff. Have fun with your bread baking !!
Karen M said…
You're crazy! Just kidding - but I won't even venture into sourdough starter, so I should just sit down and shut up. I do make the No Knead NYT recipe bread, which we love - three simple ingredients - flour, water, salt - but as you said - it's the processed flour. Yours will be DIVINE! DELCIOUS bread - and healthier. I just don't have the patience.

We're getting that snow storm now in CT, about six inches so far and still coming down. But it looks heavy and wet, I don't think it will stay for long.

Till soon -

kruzingwithk9s said…
Azure is awesome. We found them years ago and love their deliveries. We use them whenever we move because they are constantly expanding their routes. Send some snow to Michigan please. We have only had a small amount this year (it is not winter without snow to me).
This N That said…
Milling your own flour!!! Great idea. I had no idea that wheat berries had such a long shelf life. My grandmother used to make her own bread and mill her own flour.. Good to know that some of those skills are still being used today.
We had about 4 inches of wet and heavy snow that reeked havoc with the trees and shrubs. Lots of damage.
Everyone should have a lump like that in their beds!
Your embroidery looks great. I have two denim shirt dresses that I should do that too but I don't know that my fingers would like that activity. I'm pretty sure I don't have any more embroidery floss anyway. Looks very cute.
Lynne said…
You are an amazing inspiration.
Let us know if the taste is even better!
Loved the lump, smart one!
THE BEARDED ONE said…
AS I HAVE SAID MANY TIMES...YOU ARE SURE AN AMAZING LADY... THAT EXPLAINATION OF THE SOUR DOE BREAD MAKES ME WANT TO EAT SOME OF IT...I AM NOT A WHITE BREAD EATER...T ME IT HAS ZERO TASTE AND GUMMY...I SURE ENJOY YOUR MESSAGES AND YOU ALWAYS TRY TO ENTERTAIN AND KEEP US ON OUR TOES...THANK YO FOR T MAKE OUR DAY....KEEP SMILING !!!!!!!
Leslye said…
I love your enthusiasm for learning new things! Your shirt is beautiful!
Your embroidery is absolutely gorgeous. I Love that shirt. Wow...you're going to make your own flour. How wonderful. Hope it all goes well and can't wait to see the process happening right before our eyes on your blog! Maybe we'll see some snow on your next post! Our daughter in N.J. just got some!
Jacky said…
I LOVE Michael Pollen. Will have to get his new book.
Oh my, milling your own flour, how exciting! I was thinking you're certainly ready for when the world as we know it ever comes to an end and we're thrown back into the stone-age but yeah .. electricity.. minor detail. 😁
Speaking about sourdough, do you know if you can use oat flower? It probably won't get a rise?
Flour, I mean, not flower 🙃