I Am Very Passionate About This...

Yesterday was another in a long line of cold, grey winter days here on the farm.  Not much to note other than a few party tricks from dearest Chester.

Can you make your tongue into an "M"?  Chester can.

Can you touch the top of your nose with your tongue?  That's right... Chester can!  What a fun chap!

It was yet another day of Ginger hanging out near the dry lot - eternally hopeful that an extra meal will come her way. (seen below looking longingly at the donkeys' breakfast time... don't worry she already had her own!)

Amazingly, she runs back and forth from pasture to treat box whenever she knows we are passing by.  Either that, or Ginger has cloned herself!  Yes, that mailbox on top of the fence is filled with graham crackers... and she knows it!

*****🥖🍞🥖*****

I thought that today might be a good day to talk a little more about sourdough bread and my obvious obsession with it.  

Yes, I'll admit, I have become something of a bread snob.  Actually, if truth were told - I only began eating actual bread about 2 ½ years ago when I received my first sourdough starter from a friend.  Up to that point, I ate what most people call bread - that which one finds in a store, ensconced in plastic - an industrialized, undigestible, sugar-laden approximation of something that our ancestors ate as a mainstay in their diet.

Sadly, today's store-bought bread has very little in common with the loaves that scores of earlier generations consumed as they broke bread and shared the most basic act of human existence... eating.  Aside from the absence of usable nutrients, today's bread has an amazing shelf-life, due in part to the preservatives added to the mixture and the treated plastic wrapper in which it comes.

So what is the basic difference between home-baked sourdough bread and store bought?

That question is answered in two parts - ingredients and how the process of bread-making changes those ingredients into that which is absorbed by our digestive systems.

Let's look at the ingredients listed on a bag of store-bought "sourdough" bread.  First off... to call this sourdough is a big stretch.

Flour, water, yeast (to make the bread rise), sugar (to feed the yeast and produce the carbon dioxide that makes the bread rise), vegetable oil (for softness, but why? no, seriously, why?), rye flour, wheat gluten (added to strengthen the dough), potato flour (helps to reduce staling and enhance toasting), lactic acid (sour flavoring), sodium steroyl (added to disperse the fats and make the bread softer),  calcium propionate and sorbic acid (preservatives to prevent molding) monoglycerides (to improve texture and shelf life), malted barley flour (improves flavor), citric acid (tenderizes the gluten), soy lecithin (adds back structure to the tenderized gluten), whey (adds protein)

Wow... a whole lot of chemistry goes into a loaf of industrialized bread!

Now, what goes into a loaf of sourdough bread? 

Flour, water, salt and any add-ins you might choose (whole grains, seeds, nuts, fruit, spices, etc)  A basic loaf of "artisan" sourdough bread has just three ingredients at its core.  Then what makes it rise?  You probably noticed there is no yeast in traditional sourdough bread.

Ahhhhh.... but there is. And all of the magic for sourdough bread comes in the "starter".  What is the starter?  (amazingly,  nothing more than flour and water that, with time and patience, and a whole lot of luck, grows it's own colony of native yeast obtained from the flour and the atmosphere).

Yes, the magic of sourdough bread comes from the "starter" also known as the "Mother".  It's what the pioneers carried with them as they swept across the country.  And it's what "lives" in every sourdough bread baker's kitchen.

My starter:

My starter at 10 AM having just been fed 

Sourdough starter can be thought of as a living organism.  In actuality, it is filled with lots of tiny living organisms... yeast and lactobacillus bacteria who thrive on the flour and water that they are fed.  On the days that my mother is not being fed or used for baking, she lives in my refrigerator.  Once a week, (which is at least how often I bake with her) I feed her (more flour and water) so that the yeasts and bacteria within her remain robust and active.

My starter at 2 PM - doubled in size from being fed (she's now ready to use or to stow in the refrigerator until next time.

Every loaf of bread that I bake receives a measured dose of my starter along with the flours, water, salt, and other ingredients depending upon the recipe used.



I have been asked,  "where does one get a starter?"  From a friend (those of us with sourdough starter are always happy to share ours!), or from a good online source (such as King Arthur Flour's online website - they ship a dehydrated version with instructions on how to get it active and bubbly.). 

You can also find instructions online for starting your own starter from scratch, but it's a bit tricky.  

So why is sourdough bread healthier?

To put it simply... because of the long fermentation process (in other words, you mix up your bread dough and allow it to rise on the counter anywhere from 8 to 12 hours).  During this fermentation time, the natural yeast and the naturally occurring healthy bacteria (the lactobacillus - which give off lactic acid, responsible for that "sour" taste) go to work on the flour, pre-digesting the gluten (the protein of the wheat) and making it more bio-available (broken down) for your digestive tract.  Pre-digestion of the wheat gluten makes sourdough bread easier on the digestive tract for those individuals who have difficulty digesting gluten.  

 The yeast feeds off the carbohydrate (naturally occurring sugar) of the wheat and releases carbon dioxide (air bubbles) which is responsible for the rising of the bread.
The glycemic index of sourdough bread is much lower than that of store-bought breads - thus, resulting in a more stable blood sugar and fewer carbs on the waistline!  Sourdough bread has 25% more protein available to the body than store-bought simply because of the long fermentation rate.



Is sourdough bread hard to bake?  Absolutely not!  Our ancestors baked it all of the time.  Many European countries have continued this time-tested tradition... and it's starting to catch on in this country.   It's one of the best ways to join the Slow-foods movement!  There's a quality of life that's been lost in the industrialization of our foods.  Sharing a hearty loaf of hand-crafted sourdough bread is more than just eating, it's ceremonial... a celebration!

Is sourdough bread time consuming?  No.  Once you get into the habit of thinking ahead, it's quite easy.  

Ie:  5 minutes in the morning to "feed" your starter.  15 minutes that evening to mix up your dough.  A couple of "stretch and folds" done every 15 to 30 minutes after that and then the dough sits (covered) on your countertop until the next morning.  The next morning, you heat up your oven, shape your loaves and allow them to rise a little (while the oven heats up) and bake in a Dutch oven for a total of 50 minutes.  You can adapt this schedule to your own.  And if you aren't ready to bake when your dough says it's time?  Just pop it into the refrigerator.  It will stay there (and stop growing) for hours, even a couple days - until you are ready to pop it in the oven!

Easy peasy.

Any questions?  I'd be happy to elaborate.😉

Comments

Karla said…
Bev, honestly, your explanation of sour dough is the simplest one I've ever read, and forever removed my fear of commitment! From other sources I've read, I feared I'd have this monster amount of starter that would overtake my container, and then be wedded to baking loaf after loaf! We try to stay away from wheat, because of how it's grown here with the pesticides, the genetic modification, etc. Have a friend who grinds her own flour from Einkorn berries, to make her sour dough. I am not ready for that level of commitment for sure, but would love to make my own bread. My Hubs refuses to understand the info you gave about how the fermenting process tames the gluten and the carbs. He's a no-carb person. That's ok, I still want to make beautiful loves, and can slice and freeze and vacuum seal. I also read where keeping bread frozen also helps the starches act like resistant starch. A shame, though, as fresh, warm bread is a gift from the gods. Thank you for your explanation!
daisy g said…
Oh Bev, this gives me hope that I might someday be able to enjoy REAL bread again. I've developed gluten intolerance over the last few years, which causes me to have horrendous eczema on my hands which is extremely painful and difficult to deal with. I've found a "gluten-free" alternative, but it's not the hearty, chewy, soul-filling bread that I love.

A friend bought me a bag of heritage flour, so I will give that a go first. But I am excited to learn how to bake sourdough and see if perhaps it will work for me. Thank you for breaking down the process for us. It sounds much less intimidating now! Blessings...
sillygirl said…
I think this is the place I found for all kinds of starters - https://sourdo.com/all-products/ although I have two I was given. It would be interesting to know chemically if they were different from one another. I also have some dried starter my sister did for me - in case I don't use mine soon enough and it dies. I have left it in the fridge for months without that happening. You can also freeze starter - I just don't have the space for that! Love making bread. I just bought 25 lbs. of good oats so today will be the 5th new oat bread recipe I have tried.
Melanie Goodsell said…
Hi Bev, Is it true you can freeze your starter? And can you explain what "good oats" means....it that a flour?
Margy said…
Bev, you absolutely ROCK! I totally understand about the sourdough bread… you explained it so well. Thank you for breaking it down to make it all make sense. Margy in KY
jaz@octoberfarm said…
i can't even walk down the bread aisle in the grocery store. the chemical smell makes me sick. i barely even think about bread baking, i do it so often that it is rote. i haven't made salt rise bread in a while and need to get back to it. that is some tricky bread to make but oh so good.
THE BEARDED ONE said…
I AM GOING TO BEG MY WIFE O READ AND TRY THIS..I HAVE QUIT EATING THE STORE BOUGHT BREAD...IT JST ISN'T GOOD...I HAVE EVEN LIMINITED HOW MUCH CORN BREAD I EAT...NOW...TO GET MY GIRL TO READ AND TRY YOUR RECIPE...THANKS A BUNCH !!!!!
This N That said…
Great post..I should try your recipe but there's only me..there's nothing better than warm bread fresh out of the oven Yum.
Chester's tongue has ruffles. L O L
Poor ginger. She probably thinks that she's starving. She doesn't look it!
Hope all is well up there. Hugs
Lynne said…
I have a recipe for bread from my daughters MIL
I will copy recipe and send it to you.
It is made in a cast iron pan.
Wonderful treat.
No sour dough though, unbleached flour, salt, yeast, water . . .
I agree, not a fan of store bought . . .
Mary said…
Hi Bev, I am late reading my email and this comment is therefore late. I loved your "science lesson" to us about sourdough. All I need is the starter which I will order from King Arthur. Another reason to support them....the company is 100% employee owned! I am a baker and do make bread occasionally but never sourdough. My Finnish and Swedish grandparents often had a starter in the "icebox" for a sort of homemade plain yogurt called "filia" which as a child I hated. The starter got passed around the family and when we moved from Washington state to Nebraska, it came along with us in the car! It was a sad day in the house when my dad ran out of the starter. His sister had it shipped to us!
Your sourdough bread always looks sooooo delish.
I am a day late in reading and responding, but here I am! I was intrigued by your sour dough baking especially at the holidays. I have a friend who does it, and have even printed out pages of info. on the how to's. I have not convinced myself to take the plunge yet! I know when I do, I will be sold on it, but it still seems overwhelming. Winter would be a good time to try it with little outdoor activities needing attention. Sooooo, maybe I will give it a try soon. I love the tougher artisan breads and am diabetic so sour dough would be good for me. Thanks for your info. and encouragement! Deb
Sourdough bread, without a doubt, is one of life's great treats. I am sure that everyone who has ever tried it would endorse that opinion!