Gray Days

 Good morning.  You may have noticed that we were AWOL yesterday.  This was the result of a day spent largely off of the farm - a couple doctor appointments and some errands.

Yesterday, on the other hand, was a typical mid-winter farm day... filled with chores, a visit from the farrier, and a little rain.  Just a typical winter day - mostly muddy.  With temperatures quite a bit warmer than they were last week, I find myself looking more and more eagerly towards Spring!  It's always at this time of year, after a couple lovely snows, that I begin to long for just a little more warmth and sunshine.

After slogging through mud, then snow, then mud, then snow, then mud once again - I start to daydream about the days when we can head outside unencumbered by heavy boots and water-proof layers of warmth.  There is such a luxury in being able to simply step outside in one's clothes and tend to chores on dry ground.  Yes, it's the simple things - the things we sometimes take for granted - that we long for the most during the never-ending grayness of winter.

But, as always, I tell myself to be patient and just enjoy whatever today holds.  After all, the present moment  is really the only one that we are assured of having... so why waste it on any negativity!

Yesterday's big event was a visit from the farrier.

The horses, though well-behaved, were embarrassingly filthy - thanks to the rain and resulting mud. 

I am still trying to figure out what compels them to roll in the mud! 

 They truly look like unloved urchins.  All the brushing in the worlds will, sadly, not rectify this situation.  What is needed is sunlight and a warm breeze.  Then, maybe, a brush will be of some value!

Forrest stayed at the barn with me while the farrier was there.  His behavior was not as stellar as the horses, however.  He tends to be a little overzealous in the helping department... slinking his way in between the farrier and horse in order to steal a fresh hoof trimming - sometimes he gets it before it even hits the floor.

When he wasn't stealing hoof trimmings, he was getting cozy with Pete.

And no, Pete doesn't mind having his entire neck in Forrest's mouth.  Forrest is actually quite gentle and uses his teeth in a tiny biting manner to actually scratch Pete - something that Pete loves.  They have a very special relationship, those two!

Oh, and before the farrier drove off, I had to remove Moll cat from his truck.   We always have to check the back of his truck for hitchhikers.


Yesterday gave us the opportunity to get back out into the woods for a walk with the dogs.



Naturally, Forrest found the last pile of snow in the woods... the perfect place to cool down.


And, of course, found every puddle along the way.



My latest project has been to embroider a denim shirt.  All of my embroidery is free-hand, without a pattern.  I love to do this... it's like drawing on fabric.  I started with a tiny mushroom on the collar,

and then added a patch of wildflowers and my favorite amanita muscaria mushroom to the upper back.

I guess it's time for a knitting project... something small and quick, I think.

Comments

Forrest sure loves the wet! He looked liked he was saying "oh no, she has the camera again" in that first photo of him. Lol
Moll just checking out the visitors ride.
So sweet how Pete and Forrest get along so well!
daisy g said…
It was gray and rainy yesterday here as well. Makes me so grateful for our warm, cozy home.

Your embroidery is beautiful! You are one talented gal.
Hope you get a glimpse of sunshine this weekend.
Wahoorfg Grosko said…
Has Forrest been finding any more buck sheds during the walk in the woods? He may just be a natural.
Judy said…
Always enjoy your posts. Just wondering what kind of chicken the black and white one is in the picture. She is so pretty.thank you and have a great weekend.
I love the photo with Forrest and Moonie. The look in his eyes is priceless!
This N That said…
It wasn't raining here this AM..Rain gear !! I have my share..It's necessary when one has to walk a dog!! Today is a sweatshirt kinda day..
Forrest is giving you that "I dare you" look..
I guess Moll thought she needed a change of scenery..
I have a couple of Denim skirts that you could embroider...LOL..very cute.
Have a happy day..
Missy
THE BEARDED ONE said…
YOU JUST CONTINUE TO AMAZE US W/THE PICS ..COMMENTARY AND SUCH GREAT ORIGINAL THOUGHTS...I HAVE HAD DOGS THAT LOVE TH WATER AND THSE THAT HATED IT...MYY FIRST BORDE COLLIE WAS A TRUE LADY..WHICH WAS HER NAME..SHE HATED WATER ADN WOULD NOT CROSS IT UNLESS YOU HAD HEER ON A LEASH...I PITCHED HER IN THE CREEK ONE DAY..AND SHE LOOKED AT ME LIKE SHE WOUL LIKE TO KILL ME...SHE WALKED UP BESIDE AND SHOOK OFF...GETTING ME WET...MY BRIDE SAID YOU SURE DESERVED THAT...HEN SHE WWNT TO THE HOUSE AND LAID DOWN IN THE SUN TO DRY OFF...SMILE...I NEVER GOT HER WET AGAIN..THEN I HAVE HAD BORDER COLLIES THAT LOVE BEING IN THE WATER...BUT THEY ALL...EXCEPT MY FIRST LADY WOULD RUN W/ME AND WOULD FOLLOW THE TRUCK OR TRACTOR UP THE STEEP HILL TO THE FIELDS...I HAVE A FIEST NOW AND SHE LOVES HTE WATER AND RUNNING THROUGH THE WOODS AND TREEING SQUIRELS....THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH FOR THESE GREAT PICS AND YOUR SUPER THOUGHTS..HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND !!! GOD LBESS AND KEEP SMILING !!!!!!!!
I Love seeing Forrest and Pete playing together. Also love seeing your horses out and about. What a nice walk through the woods you had. Your denim shirt is beautiful with your latest embroidery on it. You have many talents. So glad Moll didn't drive away with the farrier. I love all your cats and it seems like I have known them for years.