All of This Before Breakfast!

 Yesterday morning, we opened the gate to the front pasture and the herd ran out - kicking up their heels. 

 Of course, their heels made big divets in the pasture and sent clods of mud flying!

I had thrown some hay out into the barren pasture for their breakfast, as the grass is quite scarce at this time of year.  Meanwhile, this fella kept grabbing piles of hay and running with them!

Just moments after the horses exited the dry lot, Ginger appeared at the gate.

She marched through the dry lot and pushed her way through a stall door into the interior of the barn, demanding her breakfast.  There's nothing pushier than a starving pig, let me tell you.

I grabbed her bowl of food (topped with carrot coins as a special treat) and enticed her back out into the pasture for her breakfast.  Eventually, everyone settled down and ate their breakfast.

We spent a busy morning... chores, pasture cleaning, bluebird house cleaning, and a woods walk. 

 By that time, grazing was complete and we called the horses back to the barn (while Jack enticed the pig back out into the pasture again).  It's always takes a bit of choreography with everyone having access to the same pasture.  Graham crackers work wonders for getting everyone going where they need to go!


As everyone finished their chow, I sat with Pete on my lap.  Pete is a magnet for Forrest who did his usual kitty-nibble all around Pete's neck.  I'm not sure, from the look on his face, if Pete was enjoying this or merely tolerating it!


After the equines finished their meal, I sat down on the front stoop of the barn and had a chat with the donkeys. 

To my left - Chloe (photo only possible with a wide angle lens as both donkeys were nose-to-nose with me!)

To my right - Daphne.

These gals are such gentle creatures with the softest eyes.

Gentle, that is, if they like you.  Chester will attest to the fact that if they don't they will run you off in a heartbeat!

As we were finishing up at the barn, Anna and her hubby, Jared, arrived to re-stock our hay room from the stores in the top of the barn.  Anna has been a part of our farm family since she was a kid.  We are very lucky to have these two to help us with the heavy chores.  Without them, this farm life would eventually be impossible.  While they threw hay, I took their littlest, Helen, out to visit the donkeys.  This little one is quite enamored with horses and kept repeating "donkey, donkey".  


Nothing makes me smile more than little ones like this who are completely fearless around the animals.  It will be fun to watch her grow up getting to know all of the animals - just like her two big sisters did - as part of our ever-growing farm family.

Comments

Linda said…
Your posts start my day with a smile, memories from my young adult life having horses and a menagerie of animals.
Thank you for sharing and have a most blessed day.
Jody in GA said…
Like Linda, your posts start my day with a smile, too! Thank you so much for sharing your farm family and their adventures with us! Have a blessed day.
Thanks again for sharing and starting my day with a farm smile!
Did you notice your reflection with your camera in hand in I believe Daphne's eye close up? It reminded me of photos of reflections in raindrops! Debbie
Karen M said…

I have just started blogging again and visiting blogs, and realized you are down a pig, I think. Sad when we lose them, isn't it? It is MUD season here in Connecticut and on this farm - even though we haven't had a proper winter yet. Bleh.

THE BEARDED ONE said…
I USE TO HAVE 3 HORSES AND A FRIENDS WIFE KEPT HER H9ORSE HERE...I''D FEED THEM AT NIGHT AND GAIN THE NEXT MORNING AND AFTER ALL WERE FINISHED O'D LET THEM OUT...TALKINGA BOUT RUNING BUCKING AND THOWING UPI SOM DIRT...THEY SURE DID...GIRL...YOU ARE SO AMAZING W/THE GREAT PICS AND COMMENTS YOU MAKE...LIKE THE OTHERS...THESE JUST MAKE MY DAY.

I SURE ENJOY THEM AND SO GRATEFUL TO HAVE ACCIDENTLY CLICKED ON YOUR POST A FEW YEARS BACK...THEY ARE ALWAYS AWESOME !!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU DEAR LADY !!!!!!! KEEP SMILING !!!!
This N That said…
Wouldn't it be great to be able to read Forrests mind??
So glad that you have Anna and her family to help you with farm duties.."It takes a village"..
Great Eye shot!!
Ginger will not be ignored..LOL
just love seeing all your beautiful animals and what they're up to today. Didn't see your sheep though (Faith?) .....hope she's still around. Does she still sleep with Ginger in the pig house? Love all your chickens and guineas and how are your runner ducks doing? I always so look forward to your posts and what's happening at your place. Thank you for all you do and share with us!