Seasonal Stirrings

 There is no doubt about it, we are in the midst of everything Autumn!  Colder weather has moved in and nights, though not yet frosty, are quite cold.  The leaves have just about arrived at peak color.  

However, this weekend's winds have sent many of them spiraling to the forest floor.  

Aside from a brief rain shower (just as I was sitting watching Tyler play soccer on Saturday), the weekend was a lovely mix of sun and dark clouds.

The front pasture is now occupied by only Ginger and Faith, with a brief daily visit from the donkey girls.  This pasture was grazed quite heavily through the early autumn weeks and will now rest for the winter.


The horses have moved on to the upper pastures - where thick, lush grass remains green.  Their grazing time is a bit shorter these mornings - to keep them from over-consuming and gaining weight (which can happen quite quickly with these easy keepers.)

Forrest is always quite curious when the horses are out in the fields and, I believe, would love to help round them up when it's time to come in.  But, we have discouraged him from chasing any of the farm animals.  Sadly, for him, we are in no need of assistance.

Between soccer games, we finished up a few of the chores that were on our Autumn lists.  I finished planting the 50 narcissus, and Hubbs worked on taking the rotting stumps (that had been used as planters around the farm) to the woods for their final resting spot.  One particular stump had a rather large nest of yellowjackets inside - and when Hubbs went to move it, they attacked him, stinging him three times.  

One of the stings was on his right hand.  As you can see he reacts quite badly to stings (and actually has had a few anaphylactic reactions to bee stings in the past).  This time he was stung on the hand, the arm and the face.  I will spare you (and him)  the picture of his swollen cheek.  Luckily, swelling was the only reaction he had to these yellowjackets!  It can be quite scary.  

On one of his trips to and from the barn, he spied this cutie crossing the driveway.  Aside from the cuteness factor of these masked bandits, seeing them in the daytime is never good.  Raccoons are nocturnal and are often rabid if seen during the daytime.  Luckily, none of dogs were loose during this sighting.

I do love seeing the wild critters who call the farm home.  We have quite a large deer population, and this summer gained a couple of flocks of mother turkeys and their young.  We see the turkeys quite often on our trips to the woods.  We decided last week to put our game cameras back out in the woods.  We spend so much time during the daylight hours walking these trails - it's fun to see who walks them when we are not around.  Here are a few of the photos from the past couple of days...

Sadly, the camera was a little too high to capture all of this fellow (we have since lowered it).

Here's a couple of wild ones...

This gal had walked across the same path about an hour before we arrived.  I think Forrest smelled her scent.

I don't know about you, but my cooking changes with the season.  Now that colder weather has arrived, I love making soups.  This weekend's soup was split pea...

with rosemary/sea salt sourdough bread...

To me, autumn calls for comfort food... hearty soups, stews, and lots of bread!!

I started a new knitting project this weekend.  I think this will take me quite a well - which is fine because the yarn is linen - perfect for next spring!

I also had a little time to work on a little creative project that was inspired by my walks in the woods.  I am creating a little acorn boy character...

He's a work in progress... still in the thinking/dreaming phase.

I find that the change in seasons stirs my creative juices... and that's a kettle that could use a little stirring!

Comments

Linda said…
Beverly, where do you find your knitting patterns? Linda
daisy g said…
Oh my gosh! I LOVE your lil’ acorn boy! Can’t wait to see what adventures he might have.

Looks like beautiful weekend. Blessings…daisy
Love the new pattern and all the wonderful photos of the farm. I never get tired of taking in creation around us and all the phases of nature. You do a beautiful job of catching so much of it for us to see. I am curious, do you use or keep anything in the building in the 3rd photo. For what was it originally built?
Have a great day! Enjoy every minute of this most lovely season.
The JR said…
Dab those stings with Clorox bleach right after it happens. I do it once or twice and no selling and takes out the pain. It's an old country trick that really works.
The JR said…
oops that should have been no swelling
Kathy S said…
Yellowjackets are so nasty! Your little acorn fella should find lots of adventures with all your creativity! I have a calendar called Becorns by David Bird. He makes little figures with acorns and twigs then photographs them out in nature. Very sweet!
Anonymous said…
I love your creative ideas! The walk thru your woods would be so fun. I am making some soup today also. African peanut soup that I make nice and spicy. The trees are gorgeous .
Poor Hubbs! I hate when bees get you, so much so I wrecked my car many moons ago when one got in!
We had a typical autumn day as the seasons fight to see who wins. Sunshine, then rain, cold and wind off and on all day both days. Most of our lovely leaves have dropped and it grieves my heart as I have to wait another year to enjoy them ever so briefly again. I LOVE the scent and crunch of leaves, the cool and sunny days and the ambience of every moment. I breathe and soak it in like a dry sponge…. I know you do too Deb
Marcia LaRue said…
Tis the season for changing the colors on the trees all over the place ... beautiful!
Love seeing the critters that roam your woods at night! I hope the little raccoon 🦝 was just out for a stroll and that it's not sick!
Oakley, the Acorn boy, is just too cute and clever!
The pattern of that shawl is gorgeous! That one will take a bit of time to finish!
A paste of baking soda and water will take the sting out of a bee sting ... good to know just in case!
I made a pot of chili over the weekend!
Karen said…
Sorry that Trail Boss Jack got stung - and glad he didn't have a worse reaction (but boy - do those stings hurt!). Every day I thank you for sharing your haven with us - it just is so soothing to visit! And Forrest adds even more joy. *I do miss Maryann ever so much . . . .**and I just bet those two 'wild ones' walking in the woods ARE wild (in the best possible way:) - such a pretty picture!
This N That said…
Love your little Acorn boy..Looking forward to seeing what you do with him..he's very cute..anticipating fun adventures..
SO glad that Jacks stings didn't turn in to anything worse..Scary!!
It will be fun to see what shows up on the trail cams..
Split pea soup..one of my favorites..especially with warm bread!!
Love your new project..Lovely wrap..looks soft and cozy..pretty pattern.
ENjoy your week...Hugs..
Mary said…
Hi Bev and Jack, I made a big batch of leek-cauliflower-potato-cheese soup yesterday……let me know if you want the recipe. It was bangin’! I’m glad to share the recipe if you are interested.
Mary P
Bee Haven Bev said…
Absolutely!!! Sounds delicious!
THE BEARDED ONE said…
GIRL...GIRL...GIRL...YOU ARE SOOOOOOOOO VERY TALENTED... I SURE ENJOY ALL THE PICS AND ESPECIALLY THE COMMENS YOU MAKE...MANY YEARS AGO I WAS MOWING A CHURCH YARD AND GOT WELL OVER 400 STINGS WHEN I RAN OVER THEIR NEST HOLE...BACK THEN WE HAD WHITE AMOCO GAS AND A MEMBER RAN AND SOAKED A WASH RAG W/THAT WHIRE/CLEAR GAS AND IT PULLED ""ALL"" OF THE STING OUT AND I NEVER SWELLED AND ALL OF THE STING LEFT IMMEDIATELY...MY ARMS FRONT BACK AND HEAD WAS COVERED W/STINGS...I WAS VERY LUCKY TO BE ALIVE...AND PROBALY WOULD NOT BE EXCEPT FOR THE AMOMCO HIGH TEST GASOLING...YOU SURE HAVE A NACK FOR KNOWING WHAT WILL BE ENJOYED A ND SURE MAKE OUR DAY SPECIAL...KEEP SMIOING AND HAVE A GREAT WEEK !!!!!!!
Lorraine said…
I always use Vick's Vapor Rub for stings of any kind. This advice was given to me by my doctor. Always works great. It draws out the venom.