The Return of Some Sun

 Yesterday was a day for outside work and play.  The sun came back and helped to dry the land (just a little... because it is very soggy after 3 days of rain!).  The dogs and I cleaned the front pasture.  Ok, well, I cleaned and they played and chased each other.   How happy humans would be if they had the enthusiasm of dogs, or pigs, for that matter!

Ginger was out in the pasture grazing while we were there, and came over to greet us... 

and to search the gator for snacks.

  Sadly, for her, there were none to be found.

Everyone seemed to enjoy being out and about without rain!

You might have noticed that lately we have been taking daily hikes through the woods.  Thanks to a very active puppy, we walk no matter the weather.

Yesterday was so lovely, that we took two hikes.  

The woods are beginning to show some autumn color. 

 The number of acorns on the forest floor are unlike any year that I can remember.  And, of course, you've already seen what a plethora of mushrooms we have this season.

With all of the rain, however, more have emerged.  

I'm hoping you are not tired of mushroom photos!

I ventured off the beaten path and wandered through the woods finding fungi everywhere I looked!

What makes it so special to me is not only what appears above the ground, but it is also the knowledge that beneath the soil, there is a neural network of mycelial fibers (think of thread-like filaments resembling roots from the mushrooms) that connects all of the plant life to each other.  Some call it the "wood-wide-web".  It's all very fascinating to me how interconnected everything is - including us!  

I also found this tree and wondered how the two became one!

Our walks to the woods always take us past our outdoor riding arena which has a pond-sized puddle on each end.  Forrest can't resist a puddle of water and I never try to stop him.

I just couldn't deny him the joy of racing through the water (like a crazed puppy!)

I think it might be his favorite thing in all the world.

So, when we return to the house, we towel him off good as new.

Comments

Unknown said…
Our dog loves to play in the hose,and as winter approaches each year we make a big event out of putting the hose away for the season. You can actually see how sad she is about it, and clearly understands. How do you help Forrest understand that winter water isn't good? Or do dog just know that? Lisa G in TN.
THE BEARDED ONE said…
I AM ALWAYS AMAZED AT THE MANY MUSHROOMS YOU SHOW US...YOU ALWAYS COME UP W/SOMETHING UNUSUAL AND BEAUTIFUL...THANK Y OU SOOOOOOO MUCH FOR CARING AND FOR THE COMMENTARY THAT MAKES THE PICS SOOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER...KEEP SMILING AND HAVE A SUPER FINE DAY !!!!!!!!!
Marcia LaRue said…
I am fascinated by all the various and sundry mushrooms you have been able to share with us! When you speak of the neural network of the fungi, it makes me think of the movie, Avatar, and the plant life on Pandora ... all connected!
I love seeing Pete with his Pig ... OMG ... it's just so sweet!
Looking forward to seeing more of your Fall 🍁 colors as they emerge in your woods! Do fallen acorns portend a harsh winter?
Judy G said…
Do you think the vast amount of acorns is a prediction of a long, cold winter?
This N That said…
Happy Pumpkin day!!! I got a little one for my porch..A little early since it's going to warm up a bit!!
Ginger has become quite social.
More lovely mushies...never ending..
I can't wait to see Forrest in the snow..
Karen said…
Was not that little pup destined to be part of your family? Imagine him in a back yard with NO water:( A water dog at his core - I'm SO happy he will live his life with you all and you don't limit his water adventures:) xoxoxox