Wow, Wow, Wow!!

July's abundant rainfall has left me eager to go mushroom hunting.  Mushrooms erupt like crazy when the forest is damp - and damp it has been.  Yesterday afternoon, we put the puppy in his crate with a treat-filled Kong toy to keep him occupied and we headed out into the woods in search of all things fungi.

Now, if you share my love of mushrooms, then you will understand why I was so excited about the specimens we found.  If you have not yet acquired a fascination for fungi... hang on, after this, you just might!

As we entered the woods, we were greeted by this giant... and what a perfect greeting for this foray through the woods!

It was absolutely - gigantic.  You can see the comparison to Jack's hand (and Jack has very large hands!)



We wandered through the woods, with eyes on the forest floor and boy, we were not disappointed.  One of the first mushrooms that I found were these golden chanterelles.  (An edible that I have searched for before, but never found.). And though I am almost certain of the identification, I am not confident enough in my ability to 100% correctly identify - so we did not pick them to eat, but rather left them in place... happy to just have seen them in our woods.


Close by, an old favorite found on tree stumps... orange jelly fungus.


So many of the colorful (mostly reds, corals and oranges) mushrooms were nibbled on by forest creatures, 


so I was very happy to find this intact red mushroom - still glistening from the morning's rainstorm.


Another new-to-me specimen was this "old man of the woods" mushroom.


Shortly thereafter, I found yet another one...


Also a member of the fungi family are slime molds.  This one, below was about the size of a half dollar... surrounded by moss and topped by a tiny slug.


I loved how delicate this tiny specimen was... it's circumference less than that of a dime.


As I knelt there taking a photo, I noticed what looked like rust on the tree next to me.  What I saw were tiny rust colored freckles, no bigger than one or two millimeters.  Under magnification, however, I could see that they were three dimensional, and looked perhaps like a fungus or maybe a lichen.


Next to them, about the size of a pencil eraser was this tiny clump of mushrooms.


Had I not been kneeling, inspecting the ground, I would have missed all of the action on that particular tree.  It's amazing to me how much of nature goes un-noticed because of its diminutive size!

On another tree, I saw these tiny, bright yellow orbs... also tiny mushrooms.


And the perfect mushroom to shelter a fairy from a downpour...


Another benefactor of the ample rain is moss.  This clump looked like tiny moss mountains to me.


At the base of every rotting stump were specimens of every size and many colors...


I found a few clumps of a massive mushroom that looked very much like Hen of the Woods.  However, it's the wrong time of summer for this particular edible mushroom... making this specimen that of the black-staining polypore.  This mushroom measured about a foot in diameter.


Thus named because it turns a blackish color when bruised.

Another new-to-me was this bolete - of which we saw several.


The most exciting find of this trip was something unanticipated.  Although it looks like a mushroom, it is actually a plant... the ghost pipe.  I have seen photos of them, but had never found one before this trip to the woods.


This plant produces no chlorophyl - thus it has no green color.  It depends upon a mushroom network for its survival and is apparently associated with beech trees - of which we have many.
Where there was one... there were more....


And more...


And more!


From what I have read, there are those who make a tincture from the flowers and stems for the relief of pain... not something I would entertain trying, however.

Every trip to the woods leaves me awe-inspired at the intricacies of this earth.  What a world we get to call home!

Comments

jaz@octoberfarm said…
this is perfect mushroom weather! it was almost 80 degrees before sunrise this morning. i've seen more mushrooms in the toy woods this year than ever before!
Jeannie said…
Very interesting. I have considered taking a workshop on finding and identifying mushrooms and fungus. This might be the push I need!
Anonymous said…
Wow, those mushrooms are so fascinating! It’s hard to believe you have so many varieties.
Marcy in Atlanta
Margy said…
I’ve never imagined how many different mushrooms there are and how you know so much about them! So impressive. I can appreciate your excitement now too. Thanks for an awesome post! But my favorites are still about Forrest…
Margy in KY
Marcia LaRue said…
I always look forward to "our" walks through the woods, looking for mushrooms! This was a fabulous walk and a learning experience, too!
That red capped one is especially striking with its stark white stalk! And, those ghost plants are amazing ... Never heard of that one before!
Were you able to collect any morels?
Another hot 🥵 day here in S.CO. Maybe a spot of rain sometime today!
Beautiful adventures in the woods. I no longer can do that due to RA but can remember daily trips. I have a few lovely photos of what you call Ghost Pipes. We call them Indian Pipes. So delicate and beautiful. We have lots of beech trees here, so they are plentiful if you stop and look. Since I can’t explore the woods and fields anymore, I love your adventures and pictures. Thank you for sharing!!! Debbie
Jacky said…
LOVE mushrooms - you had quite a variety. Love the fairy shelter one!
Anonymous said…
Thank you! Where we live is very dry-so we seldom see the most common of mushrooms, let alone the varieties you are encountering.
This N That said…
Love your fungi photos...so interesting..Thanks for sharing..some are very cool looking..
Missy
Leslye said…
You opened my eyes to mushrooms a long time ago in one of your posts. I had never known there were so many types and so beautiful. As always thank you for letting us see the world through your eyes.
I am amazed at all the various mushrooms in your woods. Just incredible. Thank you for sharing. Your shroom book must be getting quite a workout!