Are My Dancing Days Over?

There have been two times in my life when I have resorted to doing a rain dance.  The first was in 1972 - and Hurricane Agnes hit Pennsylvania. It was the costliest hurricane up to that time, striking from the Caribbean to Canada, with the most damage delivered to Pennsylvania.  The hurricane name of Agnes was retired the next year due to its significance.  My second rain dance was this past Friday.  With a 48% chance of rain predicted for Saturday, I felt perhaps Mother Nature needed a little encouragement.  So, unlike my gyrations of 1972, I held myself to just a tiny hustle.  This is what arrived on Saturday:

I am retiring my dancing shoes... permanently.  Mother Nature, you are on your own.  

Seriously, though, although the petunias, peonies, and sunflowers all fainted during the storm, it was definitely what we needed in terms of watering.   All wilted peonies were cut and brought in for a fragrant kitchen bouquet.

 Luckily, our hail was only pea-sized and caused no other damage - other than a brief power outage. 

 There is now a bit of humidity in the air and it once again feels as though we are living in Pennsylvania, rather than somewhere in the typically parched Southwest!  Interestingly, we have been having a significant amount of haze in the upper sky secondary to the wildfires in Canada.  I feel for those of you who are close to that area.  Stay safe!  And yes - fires, storms, and erratic weather patterns are most likely a part of our future... the effects of climate change.

We have entered into that sweet part of late spring/early summer, where the chore list is diminishing.  Aside from the daily animal chores (that never changes) much of what is left over is maintaining all that we did in the early spring.

This leaves us with more time for other pursuits... bike rides, crafting, and slowing down just a little bit.  For those who like to see what crafting I am up to... here is what I've had my fingers in recently.

Soapmaking (last on my list of necessary survival skills):

Here is the first batch of Eucalyptus/Mint soap... 

finished and labeled.

In the basement pantry are two more batches... orange/clove and farm-grown Chamomile.

I have been making my own paper to cut into small wrappers for the soap bars.  I make them out of paper shreds that cannot be recycled, (thereby recycling them), and various herbs and flowers that I have dried from the garden over the years.

I've continued working on the beekeepers quilt, but must admit that my knitting time is diminished in the summer, as we watch fewer shows and movies.  I knit so that my hands are busy when my eyes/mind are otherwise occupied.

Bread baking continues; although with summer, cooking has waned.  We eat a lot of salads... with fresh veggies from the garden.

Ginger update:  When watching my animals, I try not to anthropomorphize.  As far as I can tell, Ginger seems to be handling the loss of MaryAnn ok.  

Her activity is normal... spending time out in the pasture.  

As you can see, she is healthy and robust.  Her most recent cat scan showed that she is in tip-top shape!

PS:  Though I am no survivalist, there is a part of me that feels an importance in knowing how to be completely self-sufficient.  It worries me that the old traditions and basic life skills of our ancestors may be lost in coming generations.  It is my humble opinion that newer is not always better, and convenience does not equal quality.  So, should there ever be a zombie apocalypse, you are welcome to join us at the farm.  

Comments

We have finally gotten the rain we wanted! Since Friday we’ve gotten over 4” of rain and it hasn’t stopped yet! We’re all �� excited. It’s helping the firefighters a little bit. But it’s still out of control. Let’s pray that it will be contained soon.

Lisa
So Much Glory said…
We got 10 minutes of soft rain in western PeCo this weekend. It always amazes me how individualized weather patterns are. So…..hoping for more.
I must bake bread today. Love your soaps and labels - I make one basic soap for us, so no labels needed, but I may start adding infused oils like chickweed or lavender for their skin soothing properties.
I don’t know about you, but I get lots of skin irritation and rashes from gardening so I recently got gardening sleeves from Farmer’s Defense. They protect AND cool your skin and are very comfortable as well.
Bee Haven Bev said…
I too use Farmers Defense Sleeves!
Sonya said…
Hello,
I am on the Farmer's Defense website looking at the garden sleeves. I don't know what size to get. Bev, can you share your size please.
Bee Haven Bev said…
Mine are small/ medium…. I am 5’6, 130 lbs if that helps.
Jacky said…
I've always wanted to try my hand at homemade paper - is there a specific tutorial you followed?
THE BEARDED ONE said…
TRULY I LOVE AND ENJOY THESE SOOOOOOOOOOO VERY MUCH...YOU ARE SUCH A SPECIAL ALADY TO SPEND YOUR RIME INGORMING US OF LIFE IN PA...WE HAVE MUCH THE SAME IN MID-TENNESSEE...NO RAIN..NON PREDICTED AND IT IS DRY...I FINALLY GOT MY WATER MELONS PLANTED...THE ACTUAL PLANTS...IT WAS 97% IN THE SHADE...BUT I DIG DEEP WIDE HOLES...FILL W/BLACK COW MANURE AND SOAK IT COMPLETELY...THEN PLANT THE PLANTS AND COVER THE BCM W.ABOUT 2 INCHES OF DIRT...THE PLANTS ARE DOING GREAT... MUCH BETTER THAN I EXPECTED...WE ALSO PUT OUT TOMATO PLANTS AND THEY ARE ALSO DOING GREAT...IT IS AALREADY VERY HOT AND WE ARE FIXING TO MOW...MY WIFES FAMILY RENUNION IS THIS WEEKEND AND WE USUALLY HAVE WELL OVER A 100 ON THE PLACE..WISH I KNEW HOW TO MAKE PICS AND SEND THEM TO YOU..BUT I AM A DUMMY ON TECHNOLOGY...YOU AND YOUR POST ARE SUCH A GREAT JOY.....THANK YOU AGAIN AND AGAIN FOR ALL THE TIME YOU SPEND MAKING ""OUR"" DAY...KEEP SMILING
!!!!!
Karla said…
Are you making your soap to sell or are they for personal use/gift items? I wish we could smell them over the internet :)
Judy G said…
Hahaha!! Yes I think it’s wise to retire the dancing shoes. That was hilarious!
This N That said…
I don't think you should stop doing your rain dance..They can't all be bad!! I'll take whatever we can get..I guess we don't need another Agnes..There is rain now moving south on 11/15..Hope it's wide enough to get us..
Glad Ginger and Faith have each other..
I haven't made paper for years..
Hope all is well...Hugs
sillygirl said…
I feel the same way you do - it is important to know how to take care of yourself should all those "conveniences" disappear.