Summer Begins

It's been a busy few days since last we spoke! 

 Summer has arrived in full force.  And though it's not quite here yet, calendar-wise, it feels like summer, activity-wise!  There's been so much happening around here. 

It's hard to miss the fact that Mother Nature is operating at warp speed these days.   Everything is so green and blossoms abound.  Everything, that is, except the grass.  It's been a month, now, without any rain (and there's none in the extended forecast), so we are entering summer in a drought.


The farmers have been able to get a first cutting of hay, but I fear without rain, a later cutting might be next to impossible.  Luckily, we have a load of hay coming this week.  Our stores will need to be refreshed before next winter.

I have been watering the vegetable garden to keep from losing that, but I worry about all of the berries.  There were so many raspberry and blueberry blossoms this spring, but I worry that without rain, we will have few berries.  And what berries we do get will not be especially plump!

Still, the days have been lovely - perfect temperatures, sunny skies, and cool nights.  This week is bringing a warming trend.

So, since we chatted last Friday, we've been quite busy.  Friday morning's activities included baking and cooking for the weekend's picnic, as well as our weekly bread-baking.

Friday afternoon was spent getting our back screen porch ready for summer.  We scrubbed the furniture, floors and screens, and washed all of the linens and pillows.  We will be eating many meals in this space in the coming months, so it's good to have it refreshed!

Saturday morning, I drove to town to pick up Maggie.  

Her family was scheduled to join us for our Sunday picnic, and Maggie wanted a little extra farm time.  On our way back to the farm, we stopped at the annual Arts Fest in Harrisburg. 

 It's held along the Susquehanna River in Riverfront Park beneath the tall trees. 

 It's always a lovely arts festival complete with lots of yummy food trucks.

After perusing all of the vendor's artsy wares, we headed back to the farm.  It's great having the older girls
visit.  They readily help out with farm chores and eagerly give out lots of extra hugs to the animals.

Sunday we had a Memorial Day picnic with family and farm friends in our picnic pavilion.

Farm picnics are the highlight of the summer season.  Hubbs is always creative in planning fun activities for everyone.  This year, we had a corn hole contest for all ages.

Yesterday, Hubbs and I had to meet a friend to pick up our bison meat order (it's just about the only red meat that we eat).  While we were in town, we stopped by the Arts Festival - Hubbs had not been there on Saturday.  It was a perfect weekend for this art show.  So many years in the past, it has either been cold, or windy or raining.  This year... dry as a bone!

***************

You might remember that I began my journey into soap making this spring.  My first batch (that I made 8 weeks ago) is done curing and ready to wrap and label.  So, yesterday I made my second batch...

this time orange/clove scented.  In the coming weeks, I will be making another batch - with lavender essential oil for fragrance.  All of the oils and scents that I am using are plant-based.  I was happy that this second time making soap I felt more confident with the process.  Each time gets easier!

Comments

jaz@octoberfarm said…
what a wonderful weekend! i am so worried abut how dry we are already. we have no rain in sight either. i've planted so many perennials and am afraid of losing them.
daisy g said…
I'm sorry you are so dry. I will try to send you some rain next time we get a good dose!

Looks like a lovely way to spend a weekend.
Junebug said…
Even though I am enjoying the dry sunny weather it is worrying me. We have not had rain for several weeks, very unusual for Oregon. I also am watering my garden and flower beds. We also have restricted burning. Even though sure enjoy puttering in yard!
Katmom said…
Oh Bev, wish I could send you some of our crazy rains,,, It’s funny, each end of season I tell Gary we need to put in a drip line system for my garden, and each year we procrastinate and don’t do it🤪
I will keep my fingers and eyes crossed for you to get some much needed rain.

Soap making? How awesome… will you make homemade paper to wrap up your soaps?
How fun it would be to incorporate bits of flower petals into the home made paper …
Have a great week..
Hugz&squisches
Gracie

Lorraine said…
I would love to have been at the art festival this weekend. My daughter lives in Harrisburg. She loves going to the farmers market there. She was at the Herb Festival in York the other week. I live in Wisconsin now and I sure do miss some of the events we would go to together. Hope you get some rain soon.
This N That said…
Looks like a wonderful and full holiday weekend..I'm glad you got to the Arts Fest..I haven't been for several years..This year would have been perfect..Great weather.altho I used to go in the rain too..kinda fun as long as it was warm..I miss it!!
Your porch looks so inviting..it's a nice space!!
Nice that Maggie got some extra farm time..Lucky girl..
Lavender soap...Love the smell...
I hope there is some rain in our future..We are almost 6 inches behind already..not a good thing!!
Have a good week!! Hugs
THE BEARDED ONE said…
WE ARE SURE DRY W/NO RAIN MENTIONED...IT DOES SLOW DOWN THE GRASS GROWING..I WILL BE PLANTING MY MELONS THIS EVENING OR TOMORROW...YOU MAKE ALL OF THE PICS SO INTERESSTING...LOVE THESE POST...THANK YOU FOR REMEMBERING VETERANS...I AM ALSO A VETEERAN...US ARMY..KEEP SMILNG AND LOOKINMG FORWARD TO WED'S POST !!!!!
OH how I love your back screen porch....it looks so inviting. I would love to be out there come rain or shine! Speaking of lack of rain, we have a high fire danger here in the northern wisconsin forests now. We are also in great need of rain. Chances of rain coming this Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun. Sure hope we get some. Will pray for rain for you too!