A Goodbye

 Spring... a time of great energy, rebirth and renewal... and also a time in which we expend so much energy!  It seems like just about the time everything is mowed and lovely... it's time to mow again.  And keeping up with weeds that grow much faster than I can even walk is a full time job at this time of year.  


Yesterday, in between occasional sprinkles, I started weeding the blueberry patch.  Such tenacious weeds, I have never seen.  

It was peaceful, amongst the blueberry bushes, their branches laden with blossoms.  I had lots of company in the form of buzzing bumblebees.

I was happy to see them busily pollinating the bushes.  Fresh blueberries are one of the best gifts of summer.  If you have never had a fresh-picked blueberry, you are missing the best treat.  Homegrown blueberries are always a little more intense and a little tart, which makes them especially delicious.  Sadly, store-bought blueberries are overly ripe which makes them sweeter, yes, but lacking in flavor. 


Sadly, this week, we said goodbye to our dear rooster, Elwood.  He passed peacefully and had a proper burial.  It's so very different to not have the lovely sound of a rooster's call to greet us each morning.  This is the first time in the history of the farm that we find ourselves without a rooster.  We will miss him, for sure... as will his girls.


A common morning scene:  the cats have a way of making their presence known until such time as they receive their breakfasts.


If looks could pierce your brain...(his look says it all!)


with the subliminal message, "feed me, feed me!"

Today's blossoms:  Johnny jump-ups!


This tiny viola is very special to me.  As a child, my Nana grew them in her flower beds and often sent me home with a plant or two that we had dug out of the ground... so that I could then transplant them in our flower beds.  They do a great job of re-seeding themselves, and multiplying year after year.  I actually planted a few more seeds in the greenhouse so that I can use them to fill in some bare spots in the garden.  They also seem to bloom longer than violas and pansies.
I've had to close off the greenhouse from the barn after finding a few kitties taking advantage of my flats of seedlings that are sitting on warming mats.


Dearest Moll... that was not meant to be a heated kitty bed!
Oh well...there will be fewer calendulas than I had hoped.


Comments

jaz@octoberfarm said…
the pic of moll is too funny. i am so sorry to hear about ellwood. a good rooster is hard to find. will you get another one? was he old?
daisy g said…
Oh, dear Elwood. Rest in peace, you sweet gentleman. I remember you telling us how well he treated the ladies.

Hope you were blessed with a bit of this glorious gentle rain we've been getting a bit south of you. The perfect time to be growing.

Since relocating our blueberry plants (and deciding to grow in pots), we are loaded with berries! Not yet ready to sample, but it won't be long. They are one of spring's best treats.

Enjoy your day, Bev!
Lynne said…
Enjoying my visit with you.
Sorry to hear about your rooster.
The kitties certainly know how/where to find some warmth!
Your spring is more colorful than ours.
We are still dealing with frosty temperature
drops, 27-28 this morning..
My Hellebores, soft rose colors, pink & white,
Bleeding Heart in bloom.
No Trillium in the woods yet!
I can see the green leaf though!
Marcia LaRue said…
So sorry to read about handsome Elwood! Will you look to replace him or just remain rooster free?
All of the Spring flowers are so beautiful!
Pete and Moll ... none of the resident cats .., look the least bit underfed!
Happy Thursday!🌸
Wanda Devers said…
Elwood was a wonderful rooster and I always enjoyed hearing about him and the hens he cared for. I'm sure the girls will miss him. I imagine every day without his wake up call is a sad reminder for yall. Yall gave him a happy life.
Karen said…
I'm sitting here crying over your dear, sweet Elwood. I felt like I knew him through your lovely postings . . . I get my eggs a couple roads over and they have their Elwood - taking care of his 'girls' - we stop the car to get our eggs and he gets all protective of them and wants to know our business there:) I call him Elwood - so now this rooster can carry on for your Elwood. It won't be the same without him . . . he was just the perfect rooster xoxooxo
This N That said…
So sorry about Elwood...He was one of the good ones and will certainly be missed by you and the girls..
Cats..gotta love them..I know that look well...especially from my dear Max.....and they will always find a warm spot!!
Love the Johnny Jump ups..Some of mine have survived the squirrels who uprooted some of them....or bunnies but it was
a bit early for them..
Hope you are having a good week..Hugs.
Jeannie said…
I'm sad to hear of Elwood's passing. I know you and the ladies will miss him.
When I read the title of your post today, my heart frozen up, wondering who we were saying goodbye to. Sorry about your sweet Elwood, you have frequently mentioned what a great rooster he was. Will he be replaced? Thanks for letting us know about Elwood....I think we all feel like we know all the special critters that take up residence on your farm. Love the pics of your kitties too...that Moll sure found a nice warm spot...and I notice how beautiful Pete's markings are in that pic you posted. Always a treat to come here every day.