What's Been Growing On

 Oh what a glorious afternoon yesterday brought!  It was sunny and warm.  For the first time in months, I did the afternoon chores without a jacket.  Sadly, these temperatures are temporary, and are to drop about 20 degrees by the end of the week.  Yesterday was a gift and I happily accepted it.  As you can see, our pasture daffodils are trying their hardest to open.

Just a little more... keep trying!  Even Chester seems to have an appreciation for spring blossoms.

The greenhouse seedlings are emerging!  I am so excited for this year's gardening season and once again eating from the garden.


I spent a little time out in the pig yard yesterday afternoon.  All three girls were out grazing.  There's not much vegetation at this time of year.  It won't be long, however, until the grass starts to grow and get green again.


As you can see, our pastures remain brown and crunchy - while the cover crops planted on the hill in the distance are gloriously green.


I took my hoof trimmers into the pig yard with me in the hopes that I might be able to trim Ginger's hoofs.  As you have already seen, I never have any trouble trimming MaryAnn's hoofs because she lays down as soon as she sees me.  


Belly rubs are her favorite thing, and that makes trimming her feet quite easy.  Ginger, on the other hand, is always focussed on eating.


Luckily, I must have rubbed her in just the right place, because yesterday she flopped down on her side and let me rub her and trim her feet.



I am not sure what it says about me that donkeys and pigs are my spirit animals, but I truly love these girls.  Pigs are more like dogs than you would imagine and can be very affectionate.   It's funny... although Ginger is friendly to me, it is MaryAnn who bonded deeply with me.  


Ginger had bonded with Amanda in the beginning and Amanda still remains her person.  Sadly, Amanda has been in Colorado for the past two years, so Ginger does not get much time to see her person anymore.  And, apparently, I am no substitute.

While the sun was shining warmly, I took the dogs for a hike in the woods.  


There's nothing these two love more than this.  (Truth be told, it's my favorite thing as well!)


I did a little mushroom hunting and found these growing beneath some fallen leaves at the base of a rotting stump.  I have no idea what type of mushroom this is... in which case I assume it is poisonous and leave it alone.  Because it is growing from the base of a stump I also assume it is helping to digest that stump and return its nutrients to the forest floor.  


I can hardly wait for warmer weather and the emergence of Morel mushrooms.  Those I will be picking and cooking.  Those, though elusive,  are quite easy to identify.  Luckily, we seem to grow quite a lot of them here in our woods.

I received the most unique gift from my Mom, yesterday.  This log (pictured below) has been inoculated with Shiitake mushroom spores and will eventually grow these tasty edibles.  It will take several months for the mushrooms to appear; and is supposed to keep producing for several years.  By summer's end I should have some mushrooms to show you from this log.  It will remain outside in the shade exposed to whatever weather comes its way, but not exposed to the sun.

It's a science experiment that you can eat!

Comments

jaz@octoberfarm said…
those logs are so much fun. you should get plenty of shitakes from it. you mom knows what you like!
littlemancat said…
Love how Chester is enjoying the daffs! Maybe they better wait a little while yet to open with the colder weather predicted later in the week.
And the gift from your mom is so cool!
Mary
Marcia LaRue said…
I wonder if you had something that has Amanda's "smell" on it, if Ginger would be fooled and comforted by just her smell.
You are so lucky to have your own supply of morel mushrooms ... they are too expensive for the normal shopper!
This N That said…
Our Daffodils are almost done..They are gorgeous and very plentiful..
Nice to see those seedlings peeking out of the soil...
We got mowed yesterday...A bit early, I think..
The piggies love the attention..Happy for the rubs!!
Love your Shiitake log..what a unique gift..It will be fun to watch it grow..Where did your Mom find it??
Hugs..
THE BEARDED ONE said…
THANK YOU FOR MAKING OUR DAY...YOU HAVE SUCH A GREAT WAY OF MAKING THINGS COME ALIVE...YOU ARE SURE BLESSED...WE HAD EARLY BLOOMING DAFOIDILS ARE BEAUTIFUL AS WELL AND THE LATE BLOOMERS...WE HAVE BOTH...YELLOW IS MY FAVORITE COLOR FOLLOWED BY RED AND BLUE...SMILNG...WE ARE STILL HAVING SOME CHILY WEATHER...RAINED ALL NIGHT AND OFF AND ON TODAY...IT DRIZZLES LIGHT AND SOMETIMES HEAVY TODAY...WE ARE JUST OVER AN INCH...I LOVE MUSHROOMS BUT MY WIFE DOES NOT LIKE THEM AT ALL...WHEN WE EAT JAPANEZE I ALWAYS GET HER MUCHROOMS...I LOVE THEM...ANIMALS ARE SOMETIMES FRIENDLY AND SOMETIMES NOT...IT IS OFTEN THIER MIND OF WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN...SMILING...THANK YO AGAIN FOR MAKING OUR DAY GREAT...KEEP SMILNG !!!!!