Opening Day

Months of patience have paid off.  

The day has finally arrived!  Yesterday was "opening day" for planting in the garden.

 Though it is a little later than I would have liked (due to weather situations), I was able to work in the garden all day yesterday.  

Now sown in the ground, awaiting germination, are: sugar peas, three types of radishes, arugula, hull peas, spinach, lettuces, yellow onions, red onions, and a couple of new-to-me vegetables that were freebie seeds when I ordered my flower seeds.

This wasabi radish is new...

as well as this Mizuna.  

Mizuna is a nutrient-dense, Japanese variety of mustard greens that is in the brassica family.  In Japan, it is typically pickled or stir-fried - but the tender young greens can also be eaten raw in salads.

The garden is weeded and ready for future planting.  All of what I planted yesterday are cold-tolerant vegetables that can stand a frost.  The rest of our vegetables will be planted after any potential for frost has passed... sometime in May.

Gardening is never a solitary task. 

 I always have plenty of company.  

Sometimes more than I need... this one tends to like to be right where I am working!

The day was partly sunny and cool... a jacket still necessary.  We walked the horses to the upper pastures at sun-up, 

then I remained outside for several hours doing some flower bed clean-up.  While inspecting my gardens, I came upon the following...

It's so wonderful to once again be enjoying color!

So many little surprises awaited me.

One after the other...

I took a late morning break so that Jack and I could bring the horses back to the barn.  Such good boys - everyone came running when we called... forelocks blowing in the wind.

After brunch (we typically don't eat until much later in the morning) I headed back out to the vegetable garden and got busy planting... as above. 

 After months of rest and rejuvenation, it's time to tackle the Spring chore list.   It's so satisfying to finally be back in the soil again.   There's nothing better than being able to enjoy the fruits of our labor in the months to come.  It's going to be a bountiful summer!

If the weather cooperates, I might try to weed the asparagus patch today.  It won't be long before those tender shoots start to reach for the sun!

I received another surprise... a book that I had ordered arrived yesterday:


Don't worry... I take no chances with mushrooms!  I do love the title, however!

Comments

jaz@octoberfarm said…
i love that book! remember, all mushrooms are edible, at least once.
daisy g said…
It feels so good to be out there tinkering and planting, doesn't it? I am looking forward to seeing your bountiful harvest this year. You really make the most of your shorter growing season.
Let the planting begin!
littlemancat said…
There is something so wonder-full about this time of year, for sure! Just reading about and looking at the pics of the gardens give me such a lift. Thank you!
Those kitties!
Mary
THE BEARDED ONE said…
I SURE LOVE THE WAY YOU DO MUCH OF YOUR GARDEN...I TRIED TO DO THAT A FEW YEARS BACK BUT MY SWEET WIFE DIDN'T LIKE TI ...SOOOOOOOO I TOOK THEM DOWN...I NOW JUST GROW WATERMELONS ...LAST YEAR ABOUT 120 AND I GIVE THEM AWAY TO FOLKS...ABOUT 15 OR SO DID NOT RIPEN..BUT I GAVE AWAY CLOSE TO 100 MELONS...MY BIGGEST LAST YEAR WAS 59 POUNDS...THE AT LEAST 40 WERE IN THE 40 TO 50 POUND RANGE...I'D NEVER HAD THAT HAPPEN BEFORE BUT THEY WERE DELICIOUS..YOUR POSTS ARE SO HEART WARMING...I SURE LOOK FORWARD TO THEM ...THANK YOU FOR ALL OF THE TIME YOU TAKE TO MAKE OUR DAY...KEEP SMILING !!!!!!
Marcia LaRue said…
The flowers are so bright and beautiful!
I imagine Moll and Pete talk to you as you tell them your plans for the garden and the day!
This N That said…
You are off to a good start...I see lots of summer salads on the horizon.. Looks like you made Pete tired just watching you. Cats ,in my experience, have to share or take over your space..
What are those purple and pink flowers??
Enjoy your book..Clever title..
You're so lucky to be seeing all those beautiful flowers! I love seeing them in your post. And how fun that you've gotten some work done in your garden. So fun to see the kitties helping you there too! Seeing your post makes me believe that Spring may get here, eventually!