Code Red !

It's been quite some time since we have had a Code Red here on the farm.  That's a good thing, too.  Yesterday, however, it was such a beautiful day and I was home on the farm alone... so I decided it was time to shake things up a bit.  In actuality, it wasn't really my decision at all. 

The horses had been out in the front pasture grazing for the morning, while I was working in the garden.  

I called them all in and closed the two minis in their stall to eat their breakfast, while Moonie was locked in the other stall.  Meanwhile, the ponies and the donkeys eat their breakfast chow in the dry lot.  Normally, I don't bother to lock the stall door on the Mini's stall because they are not ones to challenge doors... and certainly not ones to actually open those stall doors by themselves.

Yesterday, I got everyone arranged and busy with their chow, while I picked up some sticks that were lying about the grass around the barn from recent wind storms.  All of a sudden, I saw Ollie sauntering out the front door of the barn, followed by Red.  I calmly walked over to them and suggested that perhaps they should go back inside and return to their stall.  And just like that, they turned around and headed back into the barn..... and ran like idiots right out the back door.

Their first stop was the duck hut... to check out the little bit of cracked corn that I had left out for the guineas.  I walked over to them with halters in hand, and they took off running down the driveway along the pasture fence.

Oh, this was just too much fun, they decided as they doubled back and ran past me in the opposite direction.

Luckily, after only five or so minutes of shenanigans, they decided that the carrots I had in my hands were more enticing than running around like a couple of ninnies.

Halters were placed on and two little bad boys were led back into the barn by their slightly annoyed Mum.  Now, normally, whenever one or more escape, the rest of the herd loses their minds. 

 They hate being separated and the idea that their herd mates might be having more fun than they is enough to cause quite a commotion.  Yesterday, however, everyone ignored the Code Red and settled in for a nap.  I could hear Moonie snickering, "Boys will be boys...."

As I was working in the gardens, I noticed a couple more blossoms peeking their little smiling faces out between the weeds...

Hyacinths!


These particular weeds are the most tenacious.  They have taken over the entire perennial garden and I am not sure how I will ever get rid of them without completely overhauling the entire garden.  Any suggestions?

Comments


I have adopted a blind mini this year - she was an abuse mini found by a rescue at an auction in NJ, her eyes were beyond help so they were removed... you would be amazed to see her navigate the world beautifully with the help of her pasture buddy, my Lacey mini.

Those weeds!!... hate them! I just keep picking them out by hand but they are so abundant and hearty I don't have the answer as to how to get rid of them completely.
colleen said…
Oh no, Ground Elder it also has other names too, and elderly friend of mine said it is also called, The Curse!! We ended up with it about 4 or 5 years ago in our perennial garden. We are thinking it came with some chipped trees that the town hauled in for us. The more we would weed the more that would come back. This elderly friend said the only way to get rid of it is to dig everything from the perennial beds and examine the roots to make sure there isn't one little piece left and then take at the bed it's self until every last piece was removed. We did this last fall and hopefully it did the trick. If this is indeed what you have and find another way to remove it would you please let me know as we have more in other places. Years ago when this same lady and I were picking fiddleheads she pointed this weed out to me and said "you never want this stuff around"
jaz@octoberfarm said…
this is what's happened with my creeping jenny and we are spending an inordinate amount of time going inch by inch through the entire raised bed and pulling every last root out. what a job. i am guessing this will not be the last we see of it either. good luck!
THE BEARDED ONE said…
I AM CERTAIN YOU HAVE HEARD THE STATEMENT..."BOYS WILL BE BOYS"....SMILING...ALL IS WELL THAT ENDS WELL AND IN YOUR CASE...THANKFULLY...IT DID...OI WILL BE MOWING THE YARD FOR THE SECOND TIME THIS YEAR...GRASS IS GROWINGAT A RAPED RATE...THANKS TO ALL OF THE RAIN WE HAVE HAD...RATHER CHILLY THIS MORNING...UNDER 30 DEGREES..THINK I'LL WAIT FOR A HOUR OR SO TO GET STSARTED...HAVE A SUPER DAY AND I SURE LOVE THESE PICS AND POST..HAVE A SUPER FINE DAY !!!!!!
So Much Glory said…
That stuff is so invasive and had such an extensive root system! I have given up on eradicating it, and just try to keep it from taking over. I pull it whenever I see it, which is every time I’m in the garden.
So Much Glory said…
I think it’s mugwort?
This N That said…
Your weed looks a lot like mugwort..I think it's an herb that makes good tea..Does it have an aroma???
Pretty Hyacinths..
I had to laugh at your Red and Ollie story..Just like kids..At least they didn't go far.
Hope you had a good day..hugs