Gifts From The Forest

It's this time of year, when everything looks damp and dreary and somewhat lifeless, that I become aware of the tendency towards wishing time away. 

 It's easy, with Spring just a stone's throw away to wish it were already here - to wish for birdsong and blossoms and green grass beneath a sunny sky.  This is the time of year when I must dig deep into my stores of patience - when I must search for that inspiration  hidden behind layers of brown and gray - when I must remember that there is a time for every season.

Yesterday afternoon, with the possibility of rain looming, we headed to the woods for a visit.  I was hoping we might spy some of our local deer, or maybe even a sleepy bear waking up from his hibernation (I know, it's a little early, but a girl can dream!).

Just as the dogs needed the adventure of a nose-down run in the forest, I needed some inspiration from Mother Nature.  

I always find that a dose of the forest is good for whatever ails me.  And yesterday, I was feeling a little lack-luster.

As we entered the forest, I caught a glimpse of something in my periphery, just off the path.

Snow drops!  This is the first I have seen them in our Hundred Acre Wood.  Years ago, I found them in the woods near the house - but never here in our big woods.  "Thank you," I whispered under my breath, "I needed that!"

We continued on our way chatting about how the forest is slowly turning over - from a hemlock forest to one of beech and birch and oak... from softwood to hardwood.  You can't help but notice all of the work being done by woodpeckers.  Between the fungi and the woodpeckers, the dying hemlocks are quite efficiently being returned to the forest floor. 

I wondered about those woodpeckers as they rat-a-tat-tat on the tree trunks.  You'd think they would get concussions from all of that hammering with their beaks.  For the longest time, scientists thought that woodpeckers had some form of shock absorbing structure in their heads.  This theory has recently been debunked.  It is thought that the only reason they don't get brain injuries is due to the small size of their brains, thus raising the threshold for concussive injuries.  It always amazes me just how perfectly intelligent nature is.

As we were leaving the woods, I spied an unusual color in the leaves several yards away from us.  At this time of year, I am always hopeful of finding antler sheds in the woods.  This, however (though sad) was even better than a couple of antlers.  This was the entire skull with antlers attached (the rest of the skeleton lay just inches away.  Perfectly cleaned by scavengers, insects, bacteria, and weather, it was a perfect specimen.


I carried it home and gave it a good anti-bacterial scrubbing then Hubbs hung it on the wall over this print of a picture painted by a local artist.

Perfect... especially for this sitting room located in the loft of our log cabin home.


While the rain drizzled outside, I finished my heavyweight shawl that I started this weekend.


Goodbye February.  You were kind to us this year - but I'm still not sad to send you on your way!

Comments

colleen said…
What an amazing find and the perfect place to hang it!! Always love seeing your finished knitting projects. hmmmm will March come in like a lion?!?!
Judy said…
Awesome find. Love where you hung it. The shawl looks beautiful. I also think your home is gorgeous and cozy.
jaz@octoberfarm said…
what a lucky find! i have so many antlers hanging here but i had t buy all of them.
Jody in Georgia said…
Love the loft room of your home. It looks like a great place to sip a cup of tea and "recharge one's batteries"!
Marcia LaRue said…
I can't believe you made that shawl over the weekend! You must knit at 100 SPS=stitches per second!
I always love a walk in the woods with you and discovering snowdrops is a beautiful plus!
Eileen in Fla. said…
40 years ago there were many old-growth forests in my town, but development has erased many of them except for public lands - But my hiking days are past so I really enjoy your forays into the woods. Thank you for being such a keen-eyed, knowledgeable tour guide.
Barbee' said…
Thank You for the snowdrops, I needed that! Love the recent photo of Chloe holding her lead rope!
Ideas: maybe a background story of your and Jack's history with your beautiful farm, how long have you been there? Or, maybe you have already done that, if so a link to that post would be interesting. I enjoyed your series a few years ago of posts about the "natural" products that you use. Are there any new ones, or have anything else to say along that line? Have you ordered your seeds for this spring's garden, planning to try anything different or new? I know you'll have the zinnias again. Have you done a post about the construction of your wonderful house, and the ideas you worked into it? I used to write a garden blog, so I understand how ideas can run their course. You did a wonderful job on this post, thank you.
THE BEARDED ONE said…
SEVERAL YEARS AGO I CLEARED A ROAD THROUGH OUR PROPERTY INTO ONE OF HER BROTHERS PROPERTY AND MADE SEVERAL ROADS OFF OF IT WHICH CAME BACK TOGETHER IN CURVES...IT WENT A GOOD MILE TO HIS SAW MILL..WE HAD TONS OF FUN DRIVING (YES, IN THE TRUCK), RIDING 4 WHEELERS AND ALSO WALKING IT..IT HAD HILLS AND VALLEYS..BUT..A MAN LEASED IT AND PUT UP BARBED WIRE TO KEEP US OUT..HE WAS TOLD TO REMOVE THE B/W AND DID FOR A FEW DAYS AND THEN PUT IT BACK UP...LOTS OF FOLKS CAME AND RODE THEIR HORSES THROUGH IT...I EVEN TOOK HAYRIDES THROUGH IT...YEP IT WAS SUPER WIDE AND FUNE, FUN,FUN...IT IS PROBABLY ALL GROWN UP AGAIN NOW...SAD !!! LOVED THE POST WE FOUND LOTS OF ANTLERS AND SOME FULL HEADS TOO...TAHNK YOU DEAR LADY !!!!! KEEP SMILING !!!!
This N That said…
You are right..Blog ideas can sometimes be challenging...Taking pictures usually helps give me something to talk about...but...It's the same old subjects most of the time!!! Not much variety..Not too early for anything these days..Everything is all mixed up..We have had snow drops here for several weeks..They are all over the place...
Great skull/antlers find..like what you did with it!!
Love your shawl..May be an all time favorite..
Kind of a gloomy day...tomorrow is to be a little better..I think March may be coming in like a lamb..
Oh my gosh....how I would love to SIT in your sitting room. It is gorgeous and so homey.