For The Dogs

 From birth to the present day, I can honestly say that my life has been richer due to the presence of dogs.  Oh, the dogs I have loved... (too many to include all of them)


The thing about dogs is - we love them, but they love us in return - and the love of a dog is unconditional. They love their humans even if they are not treated kindly (which breaks my heart).    It's been said that dogs are the only creatures on earth who love their humans more than themselves.  They give their affection freely and with wild abandon. 


Dogs have taught me the value of living in the moment... of living with joy, for that is their mantra. It's what comes natural to them.  To them, the best moment is the present one.  

I thought you might enjoy a little look-back at the dogs who have called the farm "home".

Each dog has their own story and you will find a link to that story... so, there's a lot to unpack in today's blog if you have some extra time.

When we made the move to the farm (deconstructing the contemporary loft home that was originally here - then building our log home) we brought with us our 6 year old Sadie, a quirky Bernese Mountain Dog, 

and our gentle giant, Maddie, 5, a 175 pound Newfoundland.  

Neither of them were what one would think of as farm dogs - but they managed just fine. 

 Maddie took the role of mama bear when any new animals arrived (or were born - as we were raising goats at the time) on the farm.

In the spring of 2010, in our first year on the farm, we rescued an adult Lab-mix named Oakley. You can read his story HERE.

Mid way through the summer,  a distant relative no longer wanted her dog, Hickory -

 and so this little, elderly ball of fluff joined our family.

Then, when autumn arrived, my son was relocating and could not keep his dog, Sam (Brown Sammie).  Just like that, our canine family expanded to 5 dogs.

All of our dogs were good with the farm animals, but Sammie seemed to have a special way with them.  He was curious, but slow, gentle, and kind and they all seemed to understand that. 

The amazing thing about that is... five dogs didn't seem as overwhelming as one might think. They each had their own place in the family and everyone got along just fine.  Certainly, no one ever felt lonely in our house!

By 2014, our elder dogs, Sadie, Maddie, and Hickory had one by one passed on and we found ourselves with just two dogs, Oakley and Sam.  After having 5, two seemed too few, so we chose to adopt another rescue from our local shelter.  With that, Annie came to live on the farm.

Annie, Oakley, and Sam were quite the trio and took excellent care of the farm and us.  And then, in 2017,  another relative had to surrender their puppy - so Chester joined the family. (And grew into his ears!)

Sadly, dogs don't live as long as we would like, and we eventually said goodbye to Oakley and to Brown Sammie.  We are left with Chester and Annie who are great pals.  

I am not sure what the future holds with regards to another rescue... but we have thrown that idea out into the universe.  We'll see... souls have a way of finding us.

One thing is certain - I cannot imagine life without the love of a dog.  And if there is any truth to the story of the rainbow bridge - we will have many souls wagging their tales with glee when we, too, cross over.

I suspect that this might be a trip down memory lane for a few of you.  And to you I say "thank-you" for joining us on this amazing adventure, called "life on the farm"! 

To The Bearded One… sending prayers that your procedure went well today.  Hope you are feeling well!

Comments

Thank so much for sharing these photos and pups with us over the years. Also for sharing your love and home with each of these furry souls. You can always count on the love and loyalty of a dog. You have had some beautiful ones. Each of ours, they have all passed on now, have held special memories and a special place in our hearts as well. Our next will be a rescue. Have a great day rain or shine! We are having some rain. The ground needs it.
daisy g said…
Oh, you are so right. Dogs are loyal to a fault, even when mistreated. They are the most generous souls on the planet. I miss seeing Brown Sammie. I stay with a friend's dog when they go on trips, so I get my doggie fix, as my son is allergic and we can't have them. Their dog, Baxter, is so special to me. We are kindred spirits.
What a blessing to have all those pups in your life. And aren't you the cutest lil' thing in that first photo!
Jeannie said…
I loved the picture of you from back in the day. I think McKenzie favors you. I, too, treasure the dogs I've had in my life. Even the naughty ones! Those feisty pure-bred terriers taught me that I am no match for them, so I moved on to mixed breed rescues that became my loyal companions. Thank you for this special post!
Marcia LaRue said…
I have had both dogs and cats and I grew up with cats! My Pug was a special, smart little dog, however, when I had to send him over that bridge, I went back to cats! They are my special love and miss not being able to have one where I live now! No pets, whatsoever! :o(
Mimi of Five said…
Just checked with my Uncle (THE BEARDED ONE) and his procedures went well. Thanks to everyone for their concern.
This N That said…
From Buffy to Sammie..This made me so sad....It's wonderful to have them but oh so hard to lose them..Hugs
THE BEARDED ONE said…
VEERY DIFFERENT BUT AWESOME POST...IT IS A SHAME THAT OAKLEY DID NOT HAVE YOU TWO ALL OF HIS LIFE...YOU FOLKS ARE SURE AWESOME PROPLE AND GIVE GREAT LOVE AND DEEP CONCERN TO ""ALL"" OF YOUR ANIMALS...GREAT POST...LOVE IT...I HAVE HAD DOGS VIRTUALLY ALL OF MY LIFE...HAD A WHITE GREMAN SHEPHERD STOLEN TWICE...SHE CAME ALMOST HOME THE FIRST TIME..TO ONE OF OUR FRIENDS HOME...THE SECOND TIME SHE WAS STOLEN...WE NEVER SAW OUR WHITE GERAN SHEPHERD AGAIN...IT BROKE OUR HEARTS..OUR TWO BOYS WEE SURE TORN UP !!!
Aw love reminiscing about your wonderful dogs.....I remember them all with love. You make such a special home for everybody that comes to your house. God bless you and Hubs for all the good you do.
Junebug said…
Ahh, my Sadie! Remember them all ❤ Currently I am dogless, seem so it feels strange. I'm waiting for my next love to fine me.