Relationships

We have very bonded relationships to our animals, there's no doubt.  Though we have a bond with them, they have an even greater bond to each other.

Part of that bonding lies in the fact that many of our animals are siblings.  MaryAnn and Ginger are sisters.

Faith and Hope are sisters.

Daphne and Chloe are half sisters, as well.

Red and Ollie are half-brothers.

Scarlet and Donnie are siblings, too.

I love the idea that these animals get to live out their lives with another to whom they are so closely bonded.

I have learned through my years with my animals just how important those relationships are.  Animals, like humans need these connections, I believe.

What never ceases to amaze me are the inter-species relationships that happen every day.  There's recognition and comfort in each other's company - despite their obvious differences.  And that, in itself, makes for such a sweet, loving world. 

Every morning, the cats greet us at the barn, and this Bea (Bea Fun) always seeks out Annie - rubbing herself against Annie's side as if she's truly happy to see her.

And then there's Moll - who love her pigs - her favorite pastime is doing cat scans.

Years ago, when the pigs were just babes, our Maddie (Newfoundland) mothered those two piglets as if they were her own.  It was truly the sweetest thing ever.

She retained that closeness with the pigs until the day she passed.

I truly don't believe I am anthropomorphizing when I say that animals feel love.  I've witnessed it often.  I've also witnessed the mourning that animals go through when one of their family passes.  Although they seem to accommodate death more easily than we humans do - there is no doubt in my mind that they feel loss and sadness.  But, animals are also matter-of-fact in accepting their losses, and quickly move on.

These years spent on the farm in the company of all of these souls has taught me so much.  My life is better because of their influence.  They have been the very best role models. (most of the time!)

I feel so grateful, daily, for the opportunity to share this life with these wonderful souls!

Comments

colleen said…
I feel very grateful that you share this life you have with us. xoxo
daisy g said…
Oh, it's so sweet to see Maddie with her piglets. I agree with you that animals are soulful beings. They are better than I am at living in the moment, however, which probably makes it easier for them to accept loss. They are such a gift.
I love seeing the relationship animals have with one another. There are certain ones that make friendship with others and I often wonder how those friendships become formed. What draws them specifically to each other? So wonderful that so many of yours are siblings.
I am grateful that you share your farm life with us and in the process form friendships.
Jody Watts said…
Although I don't live on a farm, I share my home with three adored cats....I cannot imagine my life without them. Someone once wrote "if there was a universal sound for peace, I believe it would be a purr". I agree! Thanks for blessing me with your blog....it always starts my day out just right!
jaz@octoberfarm said…
i profoundly believe that animals are smarter than humans on a much different level. humans are too arrogant to realize this.
I know animals love and mourn each other. 2 of my cats were father and son. When Mittens, the dad, got hit by a car and had to be put down, Skipper mourned his loss. He had little interest in anything, eating enough to keep him alive. The spark was gone in his eye. That lasted a very long time….very long. Then I had the opportunity to have a cat who needed a home and Ernestine arrived! (She was called Ernie until she had kittens! But that is another story and how she became part of my family!) When Skipper saw her, you literally could see his eyes go WOW! as he ran up to her in joy. Over time they became buddies. It took Ernestine a little time to accept him, but he was thrilled. Thanks for sharing your stories!!
Marcia LaRue said…
This starts my Wednesday off on such a sweet and peaceful note and I totally agree with Jody's quote: "If there was a universal sound for peace, I believe it would be a purr."
Anonymous said…
Maddie was such a wonderful dog--she's one of my very favorites. I loved seeing her with her little pigs.

I often think how wonderful a world it would be if humans were even close to the love & kindness of your animals.
Meghan Grace said…
I think that this is one of my favorite posts ever, Bev! I know that when my rattie, Coco, left this world, our cat meowed and searched high and low for her for two weeks. Coco wasn't always nice to Duke but I would often find them snuggled up on the bed. He really felt her loss-just like our family did.
This N That said…
Family and relationships are important to man and beast...no doubt about it..sweet post..I have no doubt that animals have all those feelings..
Nice to see Maddie again..She was a sweetheart even if she didn't think much of Mollie.
I hope you had a good day!!

You have beautiful critter and human relationships on your farm. Always such a joy to see and hear about!
THE BEARDED ONE said…
I IN NO WAY DOUBT THAT ANIMALS FEEL SADNESS...I HAVE SEEN IT MANY TIMES... THEY SHOW AFFECTION...AND SOMETIMES JEALOUSLY...SMILE...THEY REACT TO HOWEVER THEY ARE TREATED..WHEN YOU HAVE TO SCHOLD THEM..THEY WILL DROP THEIR HAD AND SOPMETIMES WALK OFF AND OTHER TIMES COME AND RUB AGAINST YOU TO SAY I'M SORRY OR TO GET BACK IN YOUR GOOD GRACES...THEY HAVE FEELINGS JUST AS DOES WE HUMANS....THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR LOVE AND COMMITMENT TO TRY AND MAKE THE BIRDS. DUCKS AND ANIMALS LIVES AS HAPPY AS POSSIBLE...YOU ARE SUCH A SPECIAL LADY..YOU AND HUBBS ARE SURE A GREAT TEAM...THANK YOU PRECIOUS LADY FOR TAKING THE TIME TO SHARE YOUR LIVE AND LOVE W/US !!!!!! KEEP SMILING !!!!