Slowing Down, Slowly

After several days filled with fun and adventure, yesterday was a day for catching up... laundry, vacuuming and baking took precedence.

It's a quieter time of year.  I can even feel the metabolism of the earth around me beginning to slow.  Subtle seasonal changes are beginning to happen as Mother Nature lets out an end of summer yawn.  She's worked so very hard over the past 5 months... bringing new life to this half of the earth.  Soon she'll turn her attentions southward - bringing spring and summer to the Southern Hemisphere.

I've got to admit... I love this time of year as the days begin to shorten.

  I look forward to chores on chilly mornings, fireplace fires, falling leaves and every other autumn aesethetic that's just around the corner.

For me, baking is an integral part of autumn, and yesterday's treats definitely put me in the mood.  I baked a peach/blackberry pie with farm raised peaches and foraged blackberries.  It will be delicious with a dip of ice cream or whipped cream!

Although the garden is beginning to wind down, there are a ton of butternut squashes to harvest.  I picked a large one yesterday and roasted it...

then, made this pumpkin/streusel bread, substituting butternut squash for pumpkin.

While doing morning chores, I found a guinea egg inside the duck house... the first of many.  Guinea eggs have a thicker, harder shell than chicken eggs.  And although they are smaller, they are shaped identically.  This one, however was completely round.


Every morning after the horses have been grazing for their allotted time, we head to the barn with the dogs to call the horses in.  It's one of the dogs' favorite activities... especially Annie!


She runs into the pasture and circles the horses, ready to send them in to me.  If there are any stragglers, she runs behind them and gives a little chase until they are headed in the right direction.


I'm not sure if there is any herding dog within her genetic make-up, but she seems to naturally understand the process and is always more than happy to help.  Yesterday, Ollie decided to ignore my call.

Thanks to Annie's help, he quickly came running... despite the fact that he had decided to just stay out and keep grazing.


He's had a bit of a naughty streak this week.  It's a good thing he's such a cute little fellow!


Well, Friday came a little more quickly this week than usual.  We'll be back on Monday with more tales from the farm.  Til then... be well!  Have a good weekend.

Sending hugs... from the farm! 

Comments

sillygirl said…
We watched a movie you might or might not enjoy - a Korean film that went to Cannes - Okja - about a young girl and her pig. I'm not sure it is for kids as it does have some uncomfortable scenes in it but we are still thinking about it. I got it at the library and it had extra features with it about the creation and execution of it that made us appreciate it more.
Lisa said…
Autumn is my absolute favorite time of the year. Even though we don't get much of a fall season here. The light changes its angle - things look different. :)
This N That said…
We are approaching my favorite time of year..I just wish that it lasted longer..It can't come soon enough..
Ollie needs a spanking !!
Enjoy your weekend..Hugs
Anonymous said…
Thank you so much, once again, for providing such a wonderful blog for all the rest of us across the country to read (I'm in California). It is a privilege
to look at the photos and read the commentary. Just lovely.
I’m with you! Heat and humidity don’t agree with me and so I look forward to my favorite time of year, late August through the holidays. I love to decorate and autumn through Christmas offer such opportunities to do so. From autumn to Halloween to Thanksgiving to Christmas, so many colors and textures, music and lights. I just adore it all. I too love the cool evenings, the warm days, The fires to keep us cozy and even beginning to lose light as it tends to wrap its arms around me after a long busy day. Thanks for sharing your thoughts as always. Enjoy the weekend everyone!
jaz@octoberfarm said…
i bought my first pumpkin today, bliss!!! i just found out that the game is on sunday at 4:30. an extra day of anticipation for me.
THE BEARDED ONE said…
IN MIDDLE TENNESSEE WE ARE STILL HAVING VERY HOT DAYS...THE COOLING PROCESS HASN'T BEGAN YET...BUT I AM SURE IT WILL SOON...I TRULY """LOVE""" THESE POSTS...THEY AR HEART WARMING...TOTALLY ENJOYABLE...REFRESHING...INFORMATIVE... AND THEY SURE REVEAL YOUR GREAT KNOWLEDGE...YOUR KINDNESS... YOUR LOVE OF LIFE AND HUMANITY...THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOO VERY MUCH FOR MAKING OUR DAY SPECIAL...KEEP SMILING !!!! HAVE A TERRIFC WEEKEND !!!!!!
You've been busy baking such delicious things.....your pie looks scrumptious and I LOVE butternut squash! Yes, fall will be arriving soon and with it cold weather and before we know it snow....sometimes we have winter arrive as early as October 15th here and it stays until the next May. So I will enjoy the coming weeks as much as I can and maybe decorate the house for Fall too. Thanks for a great post, Bev! Welcome back Mr. Bearded One!
Lynne said…
I found myself weeding and tweaking
things a bit yesterday, before I mowed.
And I too noticed some differences.
I am looking forward to fall with all the touches and fragrances . . .
I find it grand to live where I can experience the seasons.
Hope you are enjoying a blue sky day like we are!