A Special Visitor

Yesterday was a day for adventures... starting early as the sun was rising behind a heavy cloud cover.  Having just put a loaf of bread into the oven to bake, I headed out to the barn in the dark to walk the horses up to the upper pastures.


First in line was Moonie, and we made it to the pasture without incident... as always.  

Then back to the barn I went to put fly masks on the littles and halter them up to the pasture.  I first put Ollies mask on.  With the stall door slightly ajar behind me, I bent forward to place Red's fly mask on... when all of a sudden, Ollie made a run for it.  He scooted behind me and out the stall door like a bolt of lightening.  I quickly closed the stall door and followed in pursuit.  Up to the upper pasture he bolted then followed the fence around to the side of the pasture.  Seeing Moonbeam inside, but unable to get to him, Ollie panicked.  Now, I have to add at this point, that when Ollie made his escape, I only had 10 minutes left until I had to be back at the house to uncover my bread.  Luckily, Ollie froze in place right in front of the side gate to the pasture.  I opened the gate and he happily galloped in to meet Moonbeam.  

I quickly walked the last three up to the pasture 

and made it back to the house in time to uncover the bread for it's final 20 minutes of baking.


The rest of my morning was spent in the kitchen... roasting tomatoes, and chopping peppers for the freezer... getting ready for a special farm visitor.


Maggie, the youngest of "The Girls"... whom you know well if you have been visiting for any length of time... was due to arrive for a visit.  In case you are new to the farm,  The Girls are friends (more like family) who often house-sit for us when we go on vacation.  They are frequent farm visitors.  Maggie has grown up visiting the farm.  On Monday she turned 13, so we invited her to come stay for a couple days by herself.

We spent a bit of time visiting all of the animals.  Red and Ollie were quite interested in Maggie's cast (an ankle injury)...


and Red nibbled her toes (just a little nibble).


We hung out in the front pasture with 2 pigs, 2 cats, and 2 dogs...


a love-fest for the pigs!


Even Ginger, who hardly ever flops down for a belly rub, was in heaven as Maggie massaged her undercarriage.


Pete was there, but preferred the safety of the pasture fence post.   I know I'm biased, but isn't he just the cutest little cat ever?


We spent some time decorating her cast...


working a macrame project (Maggie’s first…she learned quickly)…


and making another batch of rosemary/garlic sea salt.


We ended our day with a trip to the local ice cream shop, then headed home to tuck in the animals.  We weren't far behind the animals... exhausted after a busy day of activity.  Today we are going to kayak on  the beautiful Juniata river... a first for Maggie.Thank goodness for waterproof cast covers!

Comments

They do keep you on your toes! I guess Ollie figured as long as the mask was on he needn't wait!
Sounds like a fun way to celebrate a birthday. Your bread looks delicious!
The Littles here are back in school. They started the 15th. I liked it better when school started in September but that is ecause I associate school and fall starting at the same time. I always loved school and was so happy on that first day. Everything starting fresh and new.
Anonymous said…
Love reading your daily updates. I have a question about the kind of sea salt you use. Those crystals look ENORMOUS (reminds me of rock salt) but maybe it's just the way in which the picture was taken? Ideas?
Thanks so much for sharing the farm with us.
This N That said…
Glad your bread made out OK..Looks good enough to eat!!
That Ollie %&$#@%$#!!..
I bet Maggie had a great time enjoying her special time at the farm!!
Pete is adorable for sure..
Pretty macrame..That's one thing that I never attempted.One of many , I suspect..
Hope you had fun on the river..Hugs
Lynne said…
Sounds like a great day,
even with a bit of a rush in the beginning.
Great time spent with your “Maggie Girl!”
And yes, I love your sweet Pete.
He has a “smiley” face!
(Your bread looked like YUM,)