Goodbye May, and a Mystery

 After experiencing all of the past years of life on the farm, there is a certain amount of predictability to life.  Years of observation assures that at any one given time, we can pretty much predict what our animals are up to.  Weather, time of day, and season are considered, and the rest of the picture is easily painted.

Now that hot weather has arrived, afternoons are spent (after cool mornings of grazing) seeking shelter from the sun and all the biting nasties that drive our animals crazy.  This means, the horses will be crowded into one stall (even though there are two identically equipped stalls) - standing in front of a fan.  The fan serves the purpose of keeping the flies off their backs.  As for cool... the barn is significantly cooler than the outside.  

In addition to the barn stalls, there are two available run-in sheds that sit in the shade of some large trees.  So, one would think that the donkeys would claim one of those cool, shady spots.  

But no, I would tell you... you will find the donkeys in the sunniest part of their yard - just soaking it in!

The sheep, goats and pigs also gravitate towards the shade in the heat of the day.  The pigs compromise and find shade in the pasture, so that they can continue munching at will.  Between snacks, though, they find the bare earth beneath this patch of wild growth and seek the cool soil untouched by the sun.

Even though life on the farm is completely predictable, it is not without its mysteries.  

Mysteries are those unusual things that happen when our eyes are not there to see.  Most of these mysteries involve the wilder animals that call this land their home.

Lately, there has not been much perceivable action at the duck pond.  With all of the wild ducks gone (they leave every summer and return in the winter), our two domestic ducks are living quite quiet lives.  I am thankful that they have each other for company.


Each morning, the first stop on our morning chores tour is the duck pond - to pour a scoop of feed into their large bowl.  One scoop lasts the entire day.  Perhaps a whole scoop is more than they need, however, the bowl is often empty by the next day.  During the winter, when 80 ducks were dining regularly, we filled the bowl to it's tippy top (heaping, in fact)... sometimes twice a day!

Last week, one morning, the bowl was missing.  We searched all around, but no bowl was to be found.  Later, Hubbs took another bowl to the pond, only to find that the original bowl was now floating in the pond.  A few days later, the bowl had been moved again - this time just short of taking a plunge.

It was yet another mystery that could only be solved by one means... our trusty trail cam.  Hubbs set up the camera and trained it on the area of the bowl.  Several days later, this is what we found:

As expected...

Our resident doe (I am guessing she has a set of twins hidden in the woods...

grabbing a snack?

And back at night (so much happens under cover of night!)...

Someone's curious about the camera...

and the food...

repeatedly...

and several more repeats!


Naturally, these opportunistic masked bandits were most likely responsible for the bowl ending up in the pond. 

(Adorably cute, but into everything!)


If you've been visiting since last summer, you might remember the trees that we planted at the end of the summer.  I had cut a few branches from our willow tree and rooted them in pots.  They grew in the pots through the summer.  When autumn arrived, we planted them around the barn and the chicken coop.  These trees have taken off and are now over 6 feet tall.


Yesterday, I cut a few more branches to root.  If all goes well, we'll be planting an additional four trees this autumn.  You can't beat free trees!


Yesterday was mowing day.  Hubbs and I work together... finishing a lot of acreage in a fairly short time.


As I mowed inside the garden fence, I was amazed at how big all of the plants have gotten.  I am awestruck by the speed at which growth happens at this time of year.


 I noticed that the squash are all filled with blossoms.  Before long we'll have zucchini coming out of our ears!

Comments

jaz@octoberfarm said…
i want pics of you two squash heads when that happens! your gardens are just glorious. the w's are spending the hot afternoons in front of their fans AND they are in the air-conditioned house!
Jeannie said…
The mystery is solved and I bet those creatures were nicely surprised by that unexpected source of food. You are so kind to keep up with your blog flock---I hope THE BEARDED ONE is well.
Dee J. Hartman said…
I am glad your "moved-dish" mystery is solved, and I'm
hoping the BEARDED ONE is just taking a break of some sort.
I know his comments are regular, while some of our comments, at least mine, are sporadic(when I know I have the time and am not rushed).
One thing for sure, it is nice to feel missed. I am hoping the BEARDED ONE returns tomorrow with his usual comments of interest and care!
...so Mr. Beard, just know we miss your comments, for when we read the blog, we always continue our reading to include reading the comments, always looking for yours!
So much more life on the farm than just the daily residents. Glad you were able to sort out the mystery.

Your garden will be a bountiful harvest and keeping you busy I'm sure. I do miss having one.

Hope all is well with The Bearded One and that it is just a short absence.
Jody in Georgia said…
Reading your posts with my first morning cup of coffee is how I start my day! It is always a "day brightener"! I hope Mr. Beard returns as he is obviously very missed by many. Thanks, Bev, for sharing each day!
Margy said…
Hi Bev,
I always read you blog and look forward to it daily. I never thought about the fact that you probably look forward to our comments as much as we look forward to your posts!!! We are a part of a huge farm loving family. I wish I lived close enough to pop over all the time but since I can’t I enjoy the farm through your eyes. Thanks for keeping it up everyday. Hope we heave from missing reader. Hugs from Margy in KY
This N That said…
Another mystery solved. Who knows how many critters you guys really feed?
Have a wonderful week. Hugs
I am very neglectful on posting comments. This is hands down my favorite blog. So well written and the pics are great. Can you wipe the horses down to help prevent the flies from biting? Those dang flies hurt when they bite. But then again they might just roll in the dirt to get the wipe off.
Tracy said…
Oh how I love seeing your bog posts in the morning. It just makes my day . Your gardens are so beautiful. We our still very cold here in MT so my garden has barely started. Thankful for our rain lately. You inspire me so.
Mimi of Five said…
I just spoke to my uncle "THE BEARDED ONE". He is in fact doing very well but currently is without internet and cannot get online to read the blog. I am going to print several out for him to read and give to him at our upcoming family reunion the second Saturday in June. He awaits a new internet connection but his has been out approximately one month and there is no promise of when he can get reconnected. He is very thankful that he was missed and that you saw fit to check on him. Makes him feel very loved and appreciated! He is such a character and we all absolutely adore him. Again, thank you for checking.
Katmom said…
Oh my stars! we still have not even begun to sprout! My Lilacs are starting to bud,, but it will be another week before they bloom..
I am certainly living in the wrong State!
Have fun and enjoy your sun..
>^..^<
Lynne said…
Always excitement, happy your mysteries are solved!
I am amazed at how warm it is already!
And the pollen is as thick as can be!
We fixed up our screened porch today and I am on my
second vacuum of the day! No ending to the pollen!
I like your hidden camera pics....my guess was going to be raccoons!!! Looks like you get a lot of visitors to that duck food bowl! You're right....everything in your garden and all around is growing at warp speed this Spring! Wow. I love willow trees....it will be so pretty when you have them all planted and thriving.
Mimi....thank you so much for reporting on your Uncle, The Bearded one. We all do miss his comments. How sad that his internet is down. Sure hope he can get hooked back up soon. Glad you're going to share some of Bev's posts. I guess that's another mystery solved.....right?