The In-Between

This is the time of year that I call the In-Between. 

 It's still winter, and yet, it's not quite.  Oh, I'm sure that more snow will cover our land before it's all said and done.  It won't last long, though, if it does. 

"Nap Time"

 Yesterday was another stellar day... blue skies, birds singing, beautiful!

"The heck with nap time, we're looking for more food!"

And yet, there's not much that I can tend to other than the normal animal care.  The gardens are calling to me, but it's still too early.  And mud... oh my, the mud.  Just ask the chickens about the mud...

I've had to start delivering their snacks to the grassy area outside of their yard, as their yard is a sea of mud.  The thing about this time of year is - this is typically a windy time of year.  And there's nothing better than wind for drying up mud!  So, blow, winds, blow!


There is nothing more gratifying than arriving at the chicken yard.  All of the girls come running.  If it weren't for the fact that I am delivering their snack, I might actually think that they are happy to see me!

We opened the door to the runner duck's yard yesterday morning, and all of them came fluttering out

 with the exception of Forrest and Ramone. 

 The two of them stayed behind chattering... "I don't know about this... should we? Do you think it's safe?  I don't know.... What do you think?  I don't know.... oh, dear, I just don't know....."  On and on.  Eventually, curiosity won out and they joined the rest of the boys.  Naturally, they all decided to visit the girls, who are still being sequestered.  Later in the morning, Jack closed the boys back in their yard, as there were birds of prey circling high above the farm.

The chickens spend much of their time under cover... either in their own houses/yard or close to the goats.  We rarely worry about them when birds circle above.  However, once the predators are back out hunting, the chickens will also have a little lock-down time.

I am happy to report that the ducky girls' necks are healing (where those nasty boys pulled their feathers out in the process of being amorous). The girls are doing quite well, and will eventually be allowed to rejoin the flock (as soon as we can add enough girls to outnumber the boys).

All of the birds are enjoying the pastures again.  And amazingly, the bugs are out on these warmer days.


I tried to publish my cinnamon bun bread to a page on my blog, without it taking up a whole blog post... and had no luck.  So... if you would like that recipe, just contact me (email) and I will send it to you! 

To Esther L:  I highly recommend these two books if you are serious about bread baking. (and believe me, you will never regret it!)

and



Comments

Beautiful on the farm! I'm sure the animals are looking forward to warm spring days. I am! But we are getting sleet and then rain later today.
I will have to look at those books. I love making my own bread and would love to expand on the types I could do.
Have a great day!
Lynne said…
Enjoy your sunny, happy days . . .
may the sun and wind do a number on the mud.
West of you it is a COLD, 12-14 degrees this morning!
And ice and more snow predicted for the afternoon.
BUT right this minute the sun is peeking through
the trees for me to enjoy. The birds are enjoying
this bright morning as well . . .
Wanda Devers said…
Woke up to ice everywhere here in TN. It is beautiful and the temperature is rising so hope for no outages, wrecks, etc.

Those beautiful, sunny winter days make me wish I could run around and kick up my heels like your herd does.
THE BEARDED ONE said…
THRILLING POST....THE SUBURB COMMENTARY ALWAYS MAKES THESE EXTRA SPECIAL..WE RE HAVING A LOT OF RAIN AND SINCE WE HAVE A CREEK AND SPRING W/IN LESS THAN A 100 YARDS...IT CAN CAUSE MUCH DAMAGE...SURE HOPE THE RAIN SLOWS DOWN...I'LL HAVE TO GET IN THE CREEK W/THE TRACTOR AND TRY TO REBUILD WALLS...HAVE A SUPER DAY AND THANK YOU FOR THE WONDERFUL START TO ANOTHER DAY !!! KEEP SMILNG AND GOD BLESS !!!!!!!
This N That said…
This weather is crazy..In the 60's when you get up and in the 20's when you go to bed...Love the Forrest and Ramone dialog..
The Hawk that follows us on our walks has been around lately..Mollies coat would be protection now but it will soon be warm enough for her to go out in the nude!!!
Your fowl are happy!!
Your bread is to die for..Yum
STay well...Hugs
Esther L. said…
Thank you for the bread book resources! I’ll check both of the books out. I just fed my sourdough starter this evening and will grow it over the next couple of days so that I can make a loaf. Fingers crossed that it turns out delicious, even if it isn’t beautiful! Thanks again!