Conflicting Signs

 Colder weather brought a flurry of activity to the bird feeders yesterday. 

At one point there were 5 bluejays jockeying for position on the platform feeder.  

One would land and the first would take off, 


then another would land, and the second one would leave... 

on and on, back and forth from the silver maple that serves as a weigh station for hungry birds.

I was happy to notice that the goldfinches who turn olive brown for winter are just beginning to show a little yellow.

There was a steady flow of nut-hatches, finches, cardinals, woodpeckers, and bluejays.  This kind of activity level usually portends wintry precipitation.  Time will tell!

Whilst watching the birds, I noticed that our pussy willow tree was full of catkins. 

I cut a few and brought them into the kitchen - a reminder that Spring is just around the corner!  Although by the look of the bird feeders...it's a pretty big corner!

Every morning, as I head to the barn - this is the sight that greets me.  "Well, good morning boys and girl!" 

 Everyone is eager to have their breakfast.  Now that the snow is gone, I've been walking the herd up to the upper pastures for the morning.

This activity is always met with much enthusiasm.


I unclip their halters, and off they race.

It makes this Momma's heart happy to see the herd so exuberant.  Yesterday they took off running faster than I have ever seen.  Their hooves hardly touched the ground as they flew to the upper most pasture. 

 I'm sure it feels wonderful to blow off a little steam in this way!

Upon reaching the pasture, they run around like crazy for about 45 seconds.  Then, they get down to the business of breakfast.  That task keeps them occupied for a few hours.

I know I remark every week that I cannot believe it's Friday again - and this week is no exception!  This weekend is destined to be a very quiet one.  Unfortunately, after two years of dodging bullets, Covid has hit the farm.  Jack tested positive yesterday.  He's sick, but not terribly.  We are both fully vaccinated and boosted, so I don't expect anything severe.  At the time of this writing, I have not tested positive.  Fingers crossed. 

Wherever you may be... we hope you stay well... and have a lovely weekend.  We'll be back on Monday with an update.

Comments

jaz@octoberfarm said…
oh no! does jack know where he might have been exposed? i hope it stays mild. my son never tested positive even though his wife was quite sick with covid. both are triple vaxxed.
Unknown said…
Beautiful cardinal female. We don't have cardinals in Europe
.
colleen said…
I always say, the weatherman is right, the feeders are bustling so a storm is brewing.
My son in law tested positive this week. He is vaccinated 2x's ( can't get booster until next month) and said he felt like a bad sinus infection and a cold. Only lasted a couple days and he is doing much better now. No one else in the house has it yet and I hope it stays that way. I hope you dodge it too. See you on Monday. xoxox
daisy g said…
Dang it! So sorry to hear. Please take care of each other. Thankful you are both vaccinated. God bless.

Maybe that's one of the reasons the horses have no stress. They are able to run like the wind to spend their energy in a positive way. That, and the stellar life they have on the farm with y'all.

Your bird photos are fascinating! Don't know how you keep those squirrels off the platform feeders.

Keeping you both in prayer...
Jody in Georgia said…
So sorry to hear COVID reared its ugly head on your lovely homestead. Hopefully it will depart just as quickly! Once again, thank you so much for sharing your life on the farm. I do so enjoy starting my day with y'all!
Dee J. Hartman said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dee J. Hartman said…
Dear Nature Woman, Bev, so strong,
It doesn't take you very long
To know what weather will become
You have your birds; they are not dumb!
You watch and they provide the clue
(Alexa also says it's true.)
Ice is here just like they said,
So wear your "ice chews" 'fore you head
toward the barn to feed your sheep,
plus all the rest; (none fast asleep). . .
They're waiting for their breakfast now;
Too bad that you don't have a cow,
Then you could milk it for sweet Jack
Who has that Covid, on its track
It's isolated him==> so sad!
I know the feeling,'cause I had
It on the ninth of this month, too.
I'm praying it won't capture you.
Congestion, coughing, blowing nose
Is how it's sad, sad story goes,
But it will come, and then it goes,
Be cautious, as this "note" I close!"
(Yes, your blog was sad to hear,
Catch my prayers for your Hubs, dear!)
-Your city friend,
Dee
Kelley said…
Oh no! Hope Jack takes it easy for a while and recovers quickly. And hope he is the lone victim.
littlemancat said…
Sorry to hear about Jack - and hoping you and the rest of the family are all ok. Sending best wishes.
Loved your pics of the birds, especially the first one.
Mary
Get well soon Hubbs. I love it when the goldfinches turn yellow. Makes my heart full.
woody said…
I am praying for Jack and you Beverly as you are vulnerable as well. 🙏🏼
This N That said…
The birds at the feeders are a good predictor of things to come..
I miss Pussy Willows..There used to be a tree/bush down the street..I used to steal them..
Love to see the horses kicking up their heels..
Enjoy your weekend..Stay safe....Take care of Hubs!! xxxooo
Karen said…
Wishing the Trail Boss a quick recovery! Best wishes to all at the farm - from a sunny and freezing Northwest:)
THE BEARDED ONE said…
SO SORRY THAT JACK/HUBBS HAS COVIT..BARSBARA ND I HAD IT IN SEPTEMBER 2020...I WAS BACK ON THE TRACTOR ON TH 4th DAY BUT BHB LINGERED UNIL ABOUT 3/4 MONTHS AGO...HER ISSUE WAS GETTING HER ENERGY BACK....SHE HAD HAD BREAST CANCER AND THE RADIATION WAS HORRIBLE FOR HER..WHICH IS WHY "I" BELEIVE IT TOOK HER SO LONG TO GET HER ENERGY BACK....WE HAVE NOT TAKEN THE SHOTS AND HAVE BEEN FINE SINCE HAVING IT...LOVE THESE...KEEP SMILNG AND HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND !!!
Melinda said…

Sorry to hear and hoping for a mild case and to feel better soon! Wishing you both a good weekend and hope you can navigate the ice safely !
Dee J. Hartman said…
Bev,
For those who are unaware, the government (through iHealth) are providing free Covid-19 Antigen Rapid Tests. Self-Test AT Home Results in 15 minutes! Order onlive through Internet.
I received mine in the mail 5 days after ordering mine (They send 2 boxes and each box provides 2 tests.)
PS: To protect myself, I have added elderberry extract, zinc, Echinacea, and extra vitamin C to my daily routine. [I am also conscientious of taking antioxidants on a daily basis.]
Stephanie said…
Oh my, best wishes that you all make it through with few symptoms. Covid is just such a beast. :(

Beautiful photos as always. :)