All Signs Point To....

Spring!!  I know, it's not yet... but things have definitely changed!

Yesterday morning as we were doing the chores, I was so heartened to hear a chorus of birdsong... loud and clear, proclaiming that Spring is soon to arrive. 

We saw our first robin as we cleaned the pastures.  It was a beautiful morning and we stayed outside for as long as we could... just enjoying the sunrise and the waning of Winter.  Oh, and all of the snow has finally melted!

By noontime, clouds had rolled in and soon after came the rain.

  We fed the horses their afternoon snack beneath the overhang on the front of the barn.  I try to encourage them to stay dry, but it's always a losing battle.  

Mealtimes are always Moonie's favorite!

As I move around trying to get his photo, he follows me with his remaining eye.  It's hard to get a photo of his missing eye.

His motto is:  "I'll keep an eye out for you!"

14 months ago I could not have kidded about this lovable one-eyed horse.  But he was such a champ through the entire ordeal and hasn't missed a step since.  He is truly the most wonderful soul with the biggest heart (and a sound mind as well!). I could go on and on - you get the picture.

It's no surprise that Pete was in the middle of things as I moved about with my camera!

I took advantage of the inclement weather and finished the third shawl (in as many weeks) by the fire.  This one is my own variation.

I also hatched an idea for a new bread... making a basic slightly sweetened bread dough...

let it rise, then rolled it out and spread a mixture of butter, sugar, cinnamon, and chopped walnuts on top - then topped that with chopped apple....

rolled it up and cut it in slices...

then threw (literally) the slices in a bread pan, 

let it rise again, baked it...

and added a little glaze when cooled.

The verdict?  OMG... delicious!

I think I will freeze some of it.

I'll write out the recipe tomorrow and give you a link to the page where I publish it.

Comments

colleen said…
Our weather is at least a month behind you but you have encouraged me that spring is coming. You sure haven't let your knitting needles cool down. The shawl is beautiful and the bread looks soooo darn good.
Lynne said…
Love how Mooney has carried on . . .
and is doing just fine.

Happy for your spring in the air moments . . .
Bird chorus sounds really help, don’t they!

Your shawl is beautiful . . .

And the bread . . . teasing me!
We've had spring in the air the last two days but now it is to cool down with snow coming Thursday night. I'm not sure when Spring will make its real appearance.

Mooney looks wonderful and happy of course!

The shawl is gorgeous and your bread does look delicious. That would be so good warm from the oven.
Marcia LaRue said…
Still snowing here this morning!
Moonie just seems to take everything in stride!
The shawl is beautiful and that bread ... OMG ... It would make fabulous French Toast, too!
THE BEARDED ONE said…
VERY INTERESTING AS USUAL...YOU ALWAYS COME UP W/HEART WAARMING POST AND PICS...THANK YOU DEAR LADY !!! HAVE A SUPER DAY AND KEEP SMILING !!!!!
Agent X, not said…
I love Pete!!
Spring is still elusive in Texas. 79 on Monday, 24 with sleet & rain today. One day soon.........am watching for the appearance of bearded iris shoots to know spring is hear. Stay warm and enjoy the robins.
Esther L. said…
The bread recipes that you post always look delicious! I have to ask, are you self taught or do you have a book or two that you reference? I'm new to the sourdough journey and am trying to find out as much as I can.