January's Last

 Goodbye January!  And "hello" from the frozen tundra.  No complaints here, however, because we were lucky enough to miss the blizzard and fierce winds that enveloped much of the East Coast this weekend.

We enjoyed more of what we have actually gotten used to, lately.  Temperatures hovering close to zero, with highs in the 20's when the sun comes out. 

 You know it's been cold when 20 degrees feels downright balmy!

Every morning when I awaken, my thoughts immediately gravitate towards our animals.  I cannot help but worry about them in this frigid weather.  And yet, each morning, when we arrive at the barn - everyone is in good shape and seems just fine.

Of course, I never worry about these two.

"Cold?  Really?  We didn't notice!!"  

 

You might notice that their eyes are barely visible right now.  They have grown a whole lot of wool this year.  And although it appears that they have no eyes... they are not wool blind.  Both girls have pretty good slits in the wool where their eyes are.  Every couple of days, I spread the wool apart so that they maintain their vision.  I can always have the sheep shearer visit to trim their faces if need be.  However, every winter is the same... their vision is fine despite having a face full of wool.  As soon as the weather warms, they will be shorn for the year.  (Typically, late April) 

The chickens have not been spending much time outside, unless, of course, it is inside the goat shed.  When they are out, they very often stand on one foot and tuck the other up under their feathers for warmth.


I did notice, this weekend, that the ducks have become a cohesive group since adding Forrest and Ramona to the mix last weekend.  When the snow and ice have melted, this whole gang will be given free run of the farm.  For now, there's nowhere to run that isn't a skating rink!

I'm afraid that Ginger and MaryAnn are both suffering from a little bit of cabin fever.  I have noticed these two engaged in frequent arguments at meal times.  Ginger gulps down her food as quickly as possible, leaving just a little in her bowl as she heads out the front door to get a quick drink.  While she is gone, MaryAnn (the slower eater) steals her food and then goes back to eating her own.  Upon returning to her bowl, Ginger gives MaryAnn a poke in the side with her nose.  They both squeal and push each other a little and then go back to searching for any leftover morsels of food that they can find.

Because pigs are lacking the gene for satiety, they never feel full... eternally hungry.  (A percentage of Labrador retrievers are missing this gene as well!)  There are times that I think I may be missing it as well!

We had a lovely, quiet weekend here on the farm.  Our only trip away from the farm was to babysit these three on Friday evening.

After a couple of snow showers on Friday,  Saturday was our only sunny day - perfect for line-drying our sheets... which froze as we were hanging them.  Several hours later, they were soft and dry and filled with that wonderful outdoor scent!  I have to say, I am one lucky gal.  This man is more than willing to do whatever is needed - and is often a step ahead of me!

 

The rest of the weekend was spent cozy and warm, enjoying our home.  The fireplace mantel received a post-Christmas update.

I baked some rustic Italian bread and made roasted tomato soup from last summer's frozen, roasted tomatoes.

It was time to fill the cookie jar again, so I baked peanut butter with peanuts and chocolate chips biscotti. 

I finished the "ketchup and mustard" wrap that I've been knitting, and wet-blocked it... seen here, drying in its final shape.

After painting a couple of pictures, I decided that my work space needed to be organized.  

This table is in my sewing room and used for cutting fabric, winding yarn, and now for painting, as well.  I love this room.  It has large windows that look out over the woods.  So, even on days that are too cold to spend outside... nature isn't that far away!

And just as a reminder that Spring is heading our way... this lily opened up in the flowers that Hubbs brought home last week.

In just a few short months, my blog will be filled with colorful photos like this!  I can hardly wait! 

Comments

Lisa said…
We received that storm you are talking about. We've been blasted by winter storms for three weekends in a row. At least the last two we didn't lose power like we did with the first one.
We are having a winter like we used to have 30 years ago. But I tell people winters like this are good. It means maple syrup (last year was horrible, it was so warm the entire winter that we collected sap in our t shirts!) a big winter means less bugs this summer and a healthier water table!
But alas, people don't think like I do and just complain and complain. It must be something in human DNA to complain about the weather. Lol
Lisa
Lynne said…
Liking your pictures and thoughts.
Like the wrap . . .
The “littles” are growing . . .
Thankful the “sheep slits,” (don’t say that fast)
are enough to keep them seeing!
Goodbye January . . .
I think one thing we will have is mud instead of ice.
I am ready for it . . .
Jody in Georgia said…
We had a very light dusting of snow last week...it didn't last long, but it was nice to see....from inside! Having been raised in Minnesota, I remember playing in the snowdrifts on our farm, digging "igloos" and crawling inside them. But I prefer Georgia's winters these days!
Dee J. Hartman said…
Bev, l loved your blog, as always! I was wondering, does your sweet Hubs every take some of you excellent photography? It is always breathtaking! I am sure he is so proud of you as you are of him! Also, another question: Is that wonderful, framed painting of a winter scene one of your originals? . . . You are so amazing with all of your many talents! You never cease to amaze me!
Dee J. Hartman said…
In my last comment, you=your lol
THE BEARDED ONE said…
AAWESOME AS USUAL...LOV'EM...WE GOT THREE GOOD DUSTINGS DOEN IN TENNESSEE..HICKMAN COUNTY BUT NO DEPTH AT ALL !!! HAVE A TERRIFIC DAY !!!!!!!!
Tomato soup is my favorite! I used to have the gene that made me feel satisfied but I think it has mutated. I am hungry all the time. When you built your home, did you have an architect or did you design it yourself? I don't know if I would know for sure what I wanted. It is a beautiful home. God bless.
Anonymous said…
I love the picture of the chicken on one leg. Be very careful having a lily in the house with your cat. They are very poisonous to cats.
This N That said…
We had those winds on Saturday..awful day all around..Happy for a new week..at least we are going to get out of the 30's..
Great pine cone shot..Looks like it needs to be painted..Love the one legged chicken..
I'm with Ginger and MaryAnn in the cabin fever department..
Can I borrow Hubs?? Happy that you have him and vice versa!!
Your mantel looks wonderful..nice painting..
The wrap is lovely..
Nice work space..markers should be stored flat???
Love the color of that lily..have a happy week...xxoo
Marcia LaRue said…
Such a lovely post to finish January with!
You need to model that cover-up or shrug ... Or whatever it is!
We're supposed to be getting some snow for the next couple days ... we shall see just what we get here! We usually don't get a lot!!