Are You a Dog Person or a Cat Person?

 As I sit here jotting down a few words about yesterday and the moments that accompanied it, I think about the fact that I have always considered myself to be a "dog" person.  And yet... there is rarely ever a moment in my daily routine that is not shared with one cat or another.  Don't get me wrong... I love my cats - even though only one of them was planned!

At night, Ivy, our house cat, sleeps on our bed - nestled in against my torso.  When we head out to the barn in the morning, Bobby, garage/farm cat/mayor sits in my lap and rides along on the gator ( a habit he then repeats in the evening when we tuck everyone in for the night).

As I work around the barn, Pete almost always keeps me company... walking the dry lot fence like an expert tight-rope artist. 

He waits for that moment when I notice him, and then comes towards me for some affection.

He's nothing short of a love sponge. 

 What a happy day when Pete unexpectedly showed up at our back door.

Whenever we walk down the stall aisle, one of the Bea's is always there asking for a rub-down.   Jack renamed our two Beatrixes... Bea-fun, and Bea-run.  One will let you pick her up and cuddle, the other runs as soon as you try!

And when the broom comes out, Moll is at our feet asking for a back scratch with the broom.

Upstairs, in the hayloft, is where Gus gets his daily affection.  I sit on the hay and he hops on my lap.  He'll stay as long as I attend to him - then it's back to bed on top of the hay pile where the barn has been warmed by the sun.  Gus is quite similar to the Bea's with the exception of a white-tipped tail, a white chest patch, and a rather rotund midsection!

Back at the house....no matter the room in which I am occupied, Ivy is there curled up, sleeping in the vicinity.  Unless, of course, what I am doing requires any concentration or precision at all, and then she is right there in my face.

When I shower, she waits outside on the floor and then spends the next 10 minutes interrogating me.  Bathroom breaks equal head and back rubs.

Then, finally, at the end of the day as I work on my knitting and catch a little TV, she is back in my lap either hogging as much space as possible, or making a game out of grabbing my yarn.  She has her bedtime routine, which includes talking "at" me while I brush my teeth... demanding that I fill the bathroom sink with fresh water for her.  (Which I do!). Then off to bed we both go.  And if you have visited us for the past several years, then you will know that I brought Ivy home from the local shelter so that Jack would have his very own lap pet.  Well... you can see how that worked out!

And yet, I still consider myself a dog person!  By the way, we have thrown the idea of getting another rescue dog out to the universe.  By Spring we will start to earnestly search for the right match.  Annie is eight now, and Chester is five.  It seems like a good time to add the next fur-ever friend to round out our canine family.

So, tell me... are you a dog person or a cat person?   Or do you find yourself, like me, just happy to have some four-legged soul(s) with whom to share your life (space)?

I was looking through some older photos yesterday and came across this photo.

These two, Faith and Hope, will be seven years old on my birthday.  I can hardly believe it!  And please, will someone tell me what happened to my black sheep?  

PS... bread baking happened yesterday... and I did NOT forget the salt!!

Yesterday's egg laying was spectacular!  Eureka!...40 eggs.  I do believe that almost everyone made a contribution yesterday.

Forrest and Ramona are doing very well.  They still stay off a bit from the rest of the flock (and this may be how it is forever) - but I think they are happy to be near other ducks.  We treated them to a little kale treat yesterday (their favorite according to their duck-Mom.)


As for the rest of the crew... everyone enjoyed a sunny day out in the snow...

though the morning started out a bit cloudy.

The days are most definitely lengthening.  We are rounding the bend leading out of winter.  February approaches, and after that March which will bring the beginning of gardening season once again.  To every season there is most definitely a purpose!  We will continue to enjoy the rest and regeneration that winter gifts us for these next several weeks.  Before we know it, the daffodils will once again be dancing in our front pasture.

Comments

colleen said…
Most of the animals I still think of as the age when you got them except for Faith and Hope and I almost forgot how small they were. I think I'm a dog person. We haven't had a cat for almost 2 years, but if we had one I would be a dog and cat person. This past weekend we put in our seed order. Can't even tell you how happy that makes me. Only a couple more corners and here in Northern Maine we will be approaching spring... as I write this it's =1 degree.
jaz@octoberfarm said…
i'm a dog and cat person though the dogs are not cat peoples so, thus, no kitties here anymore. i love all animals.
daisy g said…
I'm a dog lover, although we can't have any pets with fur, as our son is allergic. I get my dog fix by sitting with one of my client's dogs when they go away several times a year. It'll do. ;0P
Judy said…
I am defenitlty a cat person. Just love their calmness and how graceful they are and so clean.
Lynne said…
I am a dog person . . .
I was a cat person when my daughter
went off to college years ago.
She was always a total cat person and now
she has evolved into a total dog person!
Back to me, “dog person” who hasn’t been
with “dog love” since 21/1/2021 . . .
Finding myself looking at dog types often of late!
Key words, just lookin’ . . .
Lynne said…
Great post by the way . . .
Loved seeing, hearing some of your cat, dog, animal history . . .
Pretty darn sweet, isn’t it!
Unknown said…
Love them all but never had a cat because my mother is so highly allergic she wouldn't be able to come to our house. We do have the best dog, Maggie. She is my constant companion as I work from home and then turns into my husband's dog as soon as he is home from work. First dog we have ever had that is absolutely obsessed with fetching a ball. As soon as she is awake in the morning she runs to get her ball. Lisa G in TN
Marcia LaRue said…
Definitely a cat person, however, have absolutely loved dogs, too ... Especially the pug we had for 12 years! He was the smartest and funny little guy ever!
I love all cats but my favorite was my Maine Coon, Feather! She was such a beautiful, big girl!
Your Ivy is such a pretty girl, too!
Loved your post today! Thank you! 🐈😺
Kate said…
Brrrr! Looks chilly in PA. I continue to enjoy your blog from the sunny North Carolina blue skies, (sunny) most days. As far as the dog/cat person is concerned, I cannot say. As soon as I think I lean one way or the other, the scale tips. Can I be both? That feels right. It is great to call all those cats/dogs passed into the consciousness. Love them all. Thanks for the question.


Dee J. Hartman said…
I love dogs, 'n love cats, too.
So I guess I'm a bit like you!
Yet I'm a city-livin' one,
Who's limited and has just one.
His name is Buddy, he's my boy,
And indeed he brings me lots of joy!

I had my Riley 🙀 cat; he died,
I missed him so, I truly cried.
Big part of family: So true!
Yes, I love animals, just like you!

I love anything that has hair, fur or feathers. Right now I have two cats, Rosie and Mimi, and Rosie is up here rubbing against my arm to get me to pet her.
Barbara said…
We had cats when the kids were growing up - it seemed unfair to a dog since we were gone so much of the time. Now we have both - our current cat is very standoffish (unless he wants something, of course). I have definitely become a dog person. So much goofy, fun-loving, present personality. Our latest rescue (who we thought was a lab but turns out to be 70 percent American foxhound) is named in honor of your Sammie, by the way.
Agent X, not said…
I am a sucker for anything cute, fluffy, and or homeless - thus at one time 4 cats and multiple dogs. I love both cats & dogs. They are very different, each with unique qualities that add to our lives. Like your babies, they always seemed to find me, not me find them. We did what you are doing and after being down to no cats (age attrition-the oldest was 22 yrs at passing), and only one dog-we also put it out to the universe that we would consider a fur brother or sister for our 9-yr old lab/shepherd/border collie rescue to keep him company. Be careful what you wish for! I am not proud owner of not one, but 2 "Bor-a-dor" lab/border collie young ladies. Acquired at 8 weeks, & now 10 months old, life is finally returning to pre-baby routine. True to their names Ave (Ava Gardner) & Annie (Annie Oakley) are drama queens & princesses....and we can not imagine how we ever got along without them. A rescue Bengal-tabby mix kitten found us last week. One of my daughters fell in love and he is now with her instead. Your posts are always one of my 1st reads btw. You are able to convey concepts & thoughts many have trouble expressing. Enjoy all your babies and know when the time is right the pet will appear. I myself am seriously considering adding a bunny to the mix.
Diane said…
This is easy! Dog person due to being allergic to cats.
This N That said…
I am just an animal person. Love them all. Cats are easier as I age. My two favorite animals in my life… One was a dog and one was a cat. Loved them both the same. The loss of any animal is tough for me.
Cats can be real pests but I love them just the same.
What happened to your black sheep? I guess the same thing that happened to my gray dog.
Glad you remembered the salt and those eggs …wow!
I just heard the weather forecast for next week. 50s! I hope we can get rid of this ice!
Hugs
THE BEARDED ONE said…
YES...LIKE YOU...A AM A DOG LOVER...I TRY TO KEEP TWO DOGS ALL THE TIME...MY WIFE IS NOT VERY FOND OF THAT BUT I DO AND I HAVE ONE BARN CAT..DOG AND HORSES ARE MY FVORITE ANIMALS...I LOVE TO RIDE BUT..DUE TO THE HIGH COST OF KEEPING HORSES..I SOLD ALL OF THEM SEVERAL YEARS AGO...THE 4 WHEELERS ARE MUCH CHEAPER...THEY ONLY EAT WHEN YOU RIDE THEM...SMILNG...I HAVE A BLACK AND WHITE RAT TERRRIOR AND A 1/2HALF BORDER COLLIE AND 1/2 AUSTRALIAN..THE MIGHT BE MISPELLED.. CRICKET AND SUSIE..MY BARN CAR I CALL KITTY...I LOVE THESE PICS AND COMMENTARY SOOOOOOOOOOOOO VERY MUCH... THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO MAKE OUR DAYS BETTER !!!! I HAD ONE QUATER HORSE AND THREE WALKING HORSES AND I LET A LADY JKEEP HER HORSE HERE FOR 7/8 YEARS..TEHN I HELPED HER HUSBAND FENCE IN AN AREA FOR HER WHERE THEY LIVED...THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOO VERY MUCH AND HAVE A SUPER DAY !!!
Jim said…
So you have 7 cats? WOW. Reminds me of my cousin who rescues, rehabs and rehomes dogs. Visited her and every-time I turned around another dog came to greet me (well one bit me). She had 6 then and still probably does. She is rehoming some adorable White Lab cross pubs right now, so if you are interested I can give u her eMail. She lives in Iowa so that might be out of your search area.
Amanda Rose said…
I have always considered myself a dog person, but in my most secret heart, I know I am secretly a cat person. I've always been surrounded by cats and when I don't have one my heart feels empty. Right now I have two older cats and a younger great pyrenees. My hope is to find the pyrenees a buddy next summer before both of the cats leave us...his favorite one crossed the rainbow bridge a month ago and he's still grieving. I hope you can find your next dog at the right time for both you and your new furry family member!
What a terrific post today. And your bread looks terrific! I can almost smell it from here! Gosh...how tiny those lambs were when they came to your house....I had forgotten! Over the years we have had many dogs and cats...our dogs were always outside dogs and our cat were inside cats, so I guess I became more attached to the cats. I love, however, seeing all the activity of your dogs and cats. They always make me smile. I think of the cats, Bobby and Pete are my favorites. Can't wait to see who you get for your 3rd dog in the Spring!