Like Magic

After wishing and hoping, and keeping my fingers and toes crossed...the seemingly impossible thing happened on Christmas Ever!

I hesitate to call it a Christmas Miracle, because, let's face it - where miracles are concerned, this is at the bottom of the list.  But still... perhaps we can just call it a tiny bit of Christmas magic.  Despite the prediction that we would have a Christmas Day with the mercury in the 50's, we awoke on Christmas Eve to..... SNOW!!

I could scarcely believe my eyes at 6:30 as we headed out to tend to the animals.  A dusting of freshly fallen snow covered everything.

Like magic.


And just like magic, it was gone... and the sun came out and, sure enough, the mercury rose as predicted.  In fact, it was warm enough that the Johnny Jump-ups came out for an encore.

Like magic.

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

A couple days before Christmas, Jack was feeding the cats their breakfast and did the usual headcount:  Moll Flanders ✅ , Pete the Cat (renamed Pedro el Gato by our Colorado kids) ✅, Bobby ✅, Half-Cat-Pat (MIA), Two Beatrixes ✅, no, Three Beatrixes.  Wait, what?  Count again... one, two.... three.  But, we only have two Beatrixes, so who was number three?  


I went up the ladder into the hayloft to check out this third black cat, and found another black cat with a little larger white chest spot and a white tip on its tail.  I'm really bad at sexing cats - but concluded that it was a female due to the absence of testicles.... a female with a very large belly.  Oh no... not a pregnant cat!  

With a little further investigation, it was determined that this cat was indeed a male... a neutered male with a rather rotund belly.  He had a few plump ticks on him (which I removed).  He has a runny nose (as is common with many feral cats).  However, he does not act feral.  He is as sweet and loving as can be. 

 

It's been several days now, and "Gus" seems like he has moved into the barn for good.  We are going to treat him for parasites and get him vaccinated.  It looks like we will never know his "before" story.  Surely his "after" story will be a good one!

   All of the feral cats around this area seem to come from one of our neighbors who does not neuter their cats.  Sadly, there are many feral cats around.  The fact that this cat was neutered makes me think that perhaps someone dropped off an unwanted cat.... a very sad situation, but one that will ultimately have a happy ending.

Let's take a moment and return to Pedro El Gato.  Pete the cat is definitely living his best life at the barn.

 

 He has the largest personality of any cat that I have ever known.

Just watching his adventures around the barn is one of the best parts of every day!

He is fearless!

And so... please welcome Gus... the newest member of the (ever-growing) barn cat brigade.  Thankfully, he gets along quite well with the rest of the gang.

We are still in the midst of unseasonably warm weather, but still cool enough that the horses are kicking up their heels each morning...

when given their pasture time.


There's nothing like witnessing Moonie, the one-eyed wonder, jumping for joy!


After finishing the cable sweater, I needed a quick project to keep my hands busy - so I started just a simple Christmas stocking.  I finished it yesterday and will pack it away for the future.


  Now I face the question :  What's next?

Comments

jaz@octoberfarm said…
i love gus's little white markings. he's found kitty heaven. the word is out on your barn!
Lynne said…
Amazing what a dusting of snow
can bring to one’s heart . . .
especially Christmas eve or morn.
Nice touch weather . . .
And then to add a new cat to boot . . .
He has found the perfect home . . .
Loved your post Beverly!
The JR said…
Bless you both. Your love for the strays and needy animals is such a wonderful thing. Our neighbor's too do not spay and neuter. We thinned the cat population around here by many heads. I caught, neutered/spayed and released somewhere around 30 cats since we've been on this property. Many stayed and lived their lives out here. Some didn't. But, they didn't reproduce.

The neighbor across the road is the the worst one for picking up strays. But, he does not get them sterilized. He proclaims himself as a animal rescuer. He has good intentions. Yet, he needs to think about the future animals that those he picks up create.

Thanks for giving Gus a loving home.
Judy said…
Thank God for people like you.
daisy g said…
Amazing! Alas, we weren't blessed with any snow for Christmas, but I hold out hope for January!

Another kitty has found his forever home. What a blessing y'all are to so many.
Marcia LaRue said…
I love Gus's very white tipped tail!
So glad you all have had such a joyous Christmas season and, I believe, we are all hoping for a great New Year!
Your quick stocking is quite pretty, as well!
Jody in Georgia said…
Well, my Christmas decorations are all tucked away until next year. to me, Christmas is all about my family gathering together for Christmas Eve, then I look forward to that "clean slate" and the new year. Love the new feline furkid, Gus. I have 3 much-loved cats, hence no Christmas tree for them to demolish, so my decorations were all placed high around the rooms! Thanks for sharing your tales of the farm - really enjoy it.
Agent X, not said…
Welcome Gus!! You lucked out here. I look forward to watching your adventures, vicariously of course. Have noticed at least at our house, the animals seem to find us first, not the other way around.
Love hearing about all the barn kitties & your tales (& tails) on the farm. Thank you for taking the time to share. Happy holidays to you and yours...and all the best in 2022.
This N That said…
I'm thinking about taking down my indoor decorations..I usually wait til New Years football games..May do it early this year..My first cat as an adult was named Gus..It was a gift from a friend who knew my first husband hated cats..Gus ended up at my inlaws..The word is out in your neighborhood..Yours is the go to place!! Thanks for welcoming him..
Great picture of Moonie!! He's a happy hoofer!!
We had a pretty snow this AM..Maybe an inch..wet!!
Have a good week..hugs..
woody said…
Have a very happy and that you and Jack may prosper in the upcoming New Year. Along with stellar health! Betty and I think you folks are quite special to us here in Burlington, IA. Blessings
A big welcome to your new Gus. He looks like a sweetie pie with runny eyes and runny nose! You do such magic with your animals...I hope he'll be better soon and I'm so glad he's fitting right in with your other cats. That doesn't always happen. You guys seem to have such a beautiful, relaxing way about you that affects all the critters that call your place home. What a truly lovely place to live. And I'm glad you got that sweet snowfall!