This, That, and The Other Thing

I have to say, I enjoyed all of your Morning Glory horror stories yesterday!!  Yes, they are invasive, I know... but I still love them.  Luckily, my garden is about a quarter mile from our house, so we won't have them growing across our mantle in my lifetime [laughing].

We rose very early yesterday morning.  There was a storm predicted for right around the time of sunrise, and we hoped to avoid being rained on while doing morning chores.  

As I walked up to the barn in the dark, with my headlamp on, I was greeted first by Bea One, 

and then by Pete.

I turned the horses out into the front pasture in the dark to graze and we went about our normal morning tasks.  Just as predicted, the rain started right on schedule... just as we were finishing up the work.  

We arrived at the chickens just as the sun had met the horizon.  The cloud cover was heavy, so the light was dim.  I could hear our five crazy chickens, who refuse to roost indoors, waking up in the willow tree above the chicken yard.

You might remember me showing a photo of Hubbs and his chicken girlfriend, Ruby, a few weeks ago.  Still, each morning she stands in front of him and waits for her chin-scratching session.  We were curious as to whether it was always the same hen, so we put a wee red bracelet around her leg to identify her.  

Sure enough, Ruby is one single chicken, who, for whatever reason, is especially fond of Jack.

I stopped at the fig trees on the way back to the house to pick those that were ripe (by the light of my headlamp.)

With a colander full of figs, I washed and cut them - then placed them on the stove to make more fig jam.

By the time breakfast was cooked and consumed, the jam was jarred and processed.  I also cooked the rice that I would use later in the day to make fried rice for supper.

All of that before 8:30 AM!  I love starting days off like this... getting a head start on my daily list assures that I have extra free time later in the day for creative endeavors.


I love this time of year.  I am once again drinking tea every day and lighting candles in the kitchen.  The cool weather of Autumn inspires me to cook and bake and make my home as cozy as possible.

While we were busy working, Annie, our older dog, disappeared on an adventure.  Every time it rains, if we are not vigilant about keeping an eye on her, she disappears into the woods on a hunting expedition.  She is usually gone a few hours, and slinks home exhausted and wet.  Yesterday was no different.  

This behavior is so concerning to us and we really have tried to curb it.  Yesterday, it didn't dawn on us until it was too late - a rainy morning is more than she can resist.  I wonder what it is about rainy mornings that calls to her - and wonder if perhaps the scent of wild animals is better carried through the moist air.  I've asked her several times, but she is pretty tight-lipped!


While we are on the subject of the pups, Chester seems to have made a full recovery from his toe injury...
and I am so grateful that that was all it was!


By afternoon chore time, I had cleaned out a couple closets in the farm house. ( Just trying to make life easier for my kids if I suddenly kick the bucket!)  Why do we accumulate so much stuff during our lifetimes?  (If I could live my life over, I would definitely be a minimalist... and build a Tiny House somewhere in the countryside.  I would definitely have a farm and animals where I could be outside in nature... but, definitely, a tiny house!)

We headed back to the barn for afternoon chores and were once again greeted by Bea One requesting some attention.  It's utterly amazing to me how these feral kitties have become so tame!

Aren't her eyes fantastic?  They shine like 14 carat gold!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Love the kitty cat eyes!!
Rain or no, still a beautiful day on your farm!
Those kitty eyes are gorgeous.
Ruby must feel all pretty with her red bracelet on coming to greet her favorite. :)
I know morning glories can get carried away but I love them just the same.
We have wisteria covering our pergola on the deck and it really needs to go. I was thinking of a morning glory or 2 but not so sure now.
Happy autumn days!
Unknown said…
I so agree with you about a tiny house and a whole lot less stuff! This winter, I too hope to clean out closets and reduce. I joined a freecycle group on FB in hopes that I can match items with people who will use them. Lisa G in TN
Lynne said…
Love your posts, it becomes my morning story reflecting . . .
Brings me appreciation, thankfulness, inspiration, smiles . . .
I hope Annie enlightens you regarding her “stormy weather adventures!”
Your Bea One and Pete are wrapped around my heart . . .
I like your small canning jars for Fig Jam . . .
Like I said . . . I love your posts!
Marcia LaRue said…
Now that I have started my day off with your post ... it's time for some breakfast! I read you first every morning ... Coffee with Bev and BHA!! It's the only way! LOL Everyone else can wait!!
jaz@octoberfarm said…
you got my rain again! but my son-in-law was on a bike trip in your area and he got soaked. i am LOVING this weather.
This N That said…
Love the Bea's eyes..Are they always that color??
Ruby has bling!! I'll bet she is the envy of all the girls in the hen house..
Your fig "tree" has been very productive.
Put a tracker on her to see where she went?? That wouldn't answer the "why" though..Glad Chester is better..
I love the tiny houses...Such a great idea..
Enjoy this beautiful day!!
Jeannie said…
I just love the second picture of Ruby. Her feather pattern is so interesting, and she has quite a look on her face. Perhaps she views you as the competition! My grandma used to have me climb up in the fig tree behind her "car shed". I loved picking those figs, but never liked eating them---they made my mouth itch and still do to this day! It was another hot day here in Texas, despite almost 5 inches of rain last night. I have always envied those of you who have real fall weather. I have been known to pretend it is fall by pulling on some jeans and a flannel shirt, cranking down the AC and lighting a few apple spice candles.
Bev, your posts are always so entertaining. I wouldn't miss them for the world! Isn't that Ruby a pretty chicken though? Her feathers are so pretty and she's really fancy with that bracelet!
THE BEARDED ONE said…
I SURE DO LOVE THESE POSTS...GRAT...JUST AWESOME...ANIMALS ARE SOMETIMES HARD TO FIGURE OUT...BUT THEY SWURE GIVE LOVE WHEN MANY HUMANS WILL NOT...KEEP SMILING !!!




EDGAR C. BEARD