Week's End - Rains End

 And so we come to the end of another week.  

We've had enough rain this week, that I could cross "watering" off of my list.  


This weeks' comments included a question about this big grey building.  It's an indoor riding arena that is used for just about every purpose.  We store some of our farm equipment... tractor, hay elevator, hay wagon, etc. there.  Over the years it has seen a lot of play... baseball, football, soccer, volleyball, etc. as well as horse back riding.  The littles refer to it as the sandbox, and they love to play there with sand shovels and Tonka trucks.

The cicadas grow louder with each passing day.  I can hardly imagine what they will sound like in the near future.  In the orchard around Maven Haven, their song is almost deafening.  The above photo is representative of what this entire tree looks like.  It is completely covered in cicada nymph exoskeletons.  If there is any nutritional value in those empty carcasses, then the ground should be very fertile after this year!

Looking up into the trees, you can see swarms of them landing and taking off. 

This has been an extraordinary experience.

While in the orchard, I amble over to look at the cottage garden outside of my shed. 

 Now blooming are:

pink peonies...

yellow yarrow...

rose mallow...

perennial geraniums, foxglove, and the first of the coreopsis...

pink balloon flowers...

and the most wonderfully scented of all flowers (I think) - lavender...

It looks as though we may one day have another barn kitty.  For now, however, we have a kitty who has claimed the yard around the old log cabin his/hers.  Several times I have spied her it on the porch of the cabin or running into the forsythia forest next to it.  I have been leaving a can of cat food next to the porch each day.  I am assuming it must be quite hungry.

Last evening, I quietly tip-toed up to the cabin and caught a photo of it.  Kitty's quite lovely, I think.  I am eager to know its gender so that I can give it a proper name.  Perhaps a neutral name will come to me.

Next to the old log cabin is a magnificent rhododendron.... filled with lovely pollinators.


Not a single honeybee... but lots of bumblebees...


I eventually made my way around the entire farm - checking on everyone.

In the goat yard - I found it funny that one chicken was sitting there between two goats.  Animals are generally very social, and don't seem to mind spending time with other species.


Now that the rain had stopped, I filled the goat's feeders with their chow.  Sally ate enthusiastically,


while Sissy... well, I'm not quite sure what she was saying here....


And in the front pasture- busy, busy, busy!


It looks as though hot weather is returning this weekend.  We'll be attending an arts festival in one of our local college towns.  How wonderful it is to once again have these outdoor events to attend!  Next week is going to be very exciting as well.  Amanda is coming home from Colorado  to visit for a week, and our North Carolina Wren and her family are also coming for a visit.  What a difference a year makes!

Comments

colleen said…
Your plants seem to explode overnight. Is that a sweet potato plant in the rocking chair? I hope Kitty warms up to you so he can have a nice cozy home this winter. You could keep the name Kitty and just Mr. or Miss in front of it when you find out. All of our pet rabbits have had a proper name and we've ended up calling all of them Bun Bun. We now have Cinnabunn and call him, you guessed it, Bun Bun. Sounds like BHA will be bustling with activities once again :) Have a fun weekend. xoxoxox
Beautiful flora! Hopefully kitty will get used to seeing you and come around. Enjoy your outings and visitors!
Dee J. Hartman said…
Lovely Post as usual! How I wish I could be you sometimes to enjoy the beauty of your farm with its flowers and pets! ...BTW, regarding a name for your unknown-gender kitty, how about"T.J." The T.J. could stand for Taylor Jordan, both unisex names. Yet, in doing some research on unisex names, there are lots of them available, and actually Kit is a unisex name itself that could be considered...Let us know your choice!
Marcia LaRue said…
The floral pics are so beautiful ... so many of your pictures would be great for jigsaw puzzles!
The new kitty on the block has interesting facial features and so pretty!
Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
Carolyn said…
The kitty is so beautiful/ handsome.
I think the name should be Magic.
I really enjoy your daily stories...starts a day off right...thank you for sharing your life.
Judy G said…
I didn't know bumblebees and honeybees were two different things. How can you tell the difference?
phyllis Schmitz said…
Always start my day with your wonderful blog and precious animals.
Unknown said…
My kitty-kitty knows her name is Gracy...and also kitty-kitty I often wonder what name they call themselves. I also wonder what name they have given to us. You could call the new friend Wonder and in I wonder where you came from. Or Rain, for appearing out of the...
This N That said…
It has been nice not to have to water...nice break.
We still have been lucky with just a few Cicadas....I'm sure you will be thankful for the arrival of July!
Your flowers are stunning..All that planting has certainly paid off..
Your new kitty is beautiful..It's eyes look a bit spooky..There's a name!!!
Have fun at the arts fest..It's a good one..miss going..gonna be hot..maybe a bit cooler up there?
Enjoy your visit from the kids and little Wren..Hugs
Wanda Devers said…
Mama called rose mallow French hollyhock. I've tried to continue them here from her seeds with limited success. They are really beautiful as are all your flowers and your new kitty!
love your new kitty.....hope s/he sticks around.
Jack Brown said…
We are the best creative ebook writing company in the United States. You can read our reviews and place your order at Excel Book Writing Services Company in USA.
Excel Book Writing
Lynne said…
Love all “the looks!”
(The background cicada din though . . . not so much!)
As I write this I hope you are enjoying Amanda and other visitors.